Brewer Fanatic

Jenkins to Padres?

TURBO

$8 to $10 million per year for Jenkins!!!http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif HOLY CRAP Wow I guess Cordero's salary wasn't so bad after all. It's a nice addition for the Padres but for that? I expected Jenkins to get around $5-6million at best.

MLB has a major problem on it's hands. Owners are managing salaries like total fools. They want to beat the union, they want small market teams to compete - then they just throw out money to average players like it's nothing. How on earth can we expect to keep any of our players?

The only hope I have is that our horrible TV contract expires in 2010. Maybe the team can negotiate a new deal even as soon as next year with the networks/cable/DTV? This will help a lot. We'll have no chance in keeping Fielder but I think we'll be able to get some pretty good players for him in return. IMO 1st basemen are the easiest to replace. With Braun, Hardy, and Hart I think our middle of the lineup is safe for a long time. By the time Braun and Gallardo are eligible we might actually have the $ to give them $20+ million per year deals.

He's a strikout prone power hitter who hasn't hit lefties all that well in a couple years. He's broke the 30 HR platue once in his career and is going to play half his games in one of the biggest parks in the league. Does anyone else see this as a mismatch? He's a decent fielder and has hit for average in the past though he hasn't done that in while now. I'm happy for him because I felt he was a class act here and have many fond memories of him but I don't see this as a smart move for the Padres. Good luck Geoff and hope you get a shot at the playoffs. You deserve it.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Good point FTJ but how much better will he be there than what they have? His numbers will not be as good there as they have been so how much better is this move really going to make them? What are the chances he even hits 20 HR or carries a 750 OPS for $10 million? But I do see the arguement that something overpriced is better than nothing for free. Especially if they feel they can compete next year with a few tweeks.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Owners are managing salaries like total fools.

The problem is, if it's a problem, is that the money is pretty much there. So I guess I'd disagree with that statement a little. But it is getting hard to adjusting to hearing these type of deals for these types of players.

As for Jenkins trying not to hit the ball 500 ft. anymore, I'd disagree. Now he'll probably just try to hit it 600 ft.

The only thing that could make Jenks better in San Diego is that he may quit trying to hit the ball 500ft everytime he swings.

don't count on it, now he will have to swing even harder to get it out of the park...

*yikes*

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Owners are managing salaries like total fools.

The problem is, if it's a problem, is that the money is pretty much there. So I guess I'd disagree with that statement a little. But it is getting hard to adjusting to hearing these type of deals for these types of players.

As for Jenkins trying not to hit the ball 500 ft. anymore, I'd disagree. Now he'll probably just try to hit it 600 ft.

damn, beat me to it..

lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If the Padres are looking for a Mike Cameron type player, a little bit of pop and great defense, they won't be dissapointed, but if their looking for Jenkins to hit .280+ 30HR there might be an issue. I have to believe they know what there going to get and it's just this is what it's taking to get a guy like Jenkins in the FA market this season .

Archived