Brewer Fanatic

Brewers top prospect list - Latest: MLB Radio and Prospectus

IheartRYount

Baseball America lists their annual "cutting room floor" prospect list -- their name for all the scouting reports that didn't quite make it into the 2007 Prospect Handbook, which includes the Top 30 prospects for each club.

We suggest you click on the link for more background on what this list is all about, but halfway through their two-day list (alphabetical), they have:

www.baseballamerica.com/t...63152.html

Steve Bray, rhp, Brewers

Born: Dec. 22, 1980 ? B-T: R-R ? Ht: 6-1 ? Wt: 193 ? Drafted: New Haven (Conn.), 2003 (14th round) ? Signed by: Steve Connelly (Royals)

Before they took him in the Triple-A phase of the 2005 Rule 5 draft, the Brewers had history with Bray. They drafted him in the 45th round out of Norwalk (Conn.) CC in 2000, but he didn't turn pro until the Royals took him as a 14th-rounder out of NCAA Division II New Haven (Conn.) three years later. After joining the Brewers, Bray had a breakthrough season, posting a 2.33 ERA and 75-11 K-BB ratio in the upper levels of the system. He throws three pitches for strikes, including an 88-90 mph fastball, a sharp slider and an effective changeup. Without overwhelming stuff, he succeeds with terrific command. Milwaukee was so impressed with his work that it sent him to the Arizona Fall League to see how he matched up against other near-ready prospects, and he was solid there as well. Bray likely will open 2007 in Triple-A but could surface as a middle reliever for the Brewers later in the year.

Ryan Crew, inf/of, Brewers

Born: Aug. 31, 1983 ? B-T: R-R ? Ht: 6-0 ? Wt: 175 ? Drafted: Texas-San Antonio, 2005 (40th round) ? Signed by: Ray Montgomery

A two-way standout at Texas-San Antonio, Crew has used his versatility to move quickly in pro ball. He reached high Class A in 2006, his first full pro season, while seeing time at second base, left field, shortstop and third base. Crew uses an unorthodox approach at the plate, bailing out on his front side on nearly every pitch, but he has the bat speed and hand-eye coordination to nonetheless hit for average. However, he doesn't stay behind the ball so he doesn't drive it, resulting in little power. He has fringe-average speed and a solid arm--he threw in the 90s when he pitched in college--so he can hold his own at most positions. His best chance to be a regular would be at second base, but the Brewers already have Rickie Weeks there and Crew is better suited as a utilityman. Double-A will be a good test for him in 2007.

• 4 weeks later...

MLB Radio's Blog Preview of the Show:

minors.mlblogs.com/around...ers_a.html

Brewers (courtesy of Jonathan)

3B Ryan Braun

P Yovani Gallardo

P Will Inman

P Jeremy Jeffress

OF Lorenzo Cain

Notes from Jonathan: That fifth fave was a tough one. After the top two (maybe three with Inman), there's a bit of a dropoff in terms of prospect status. I toyed with some other names there, but the guy (Cain) did set some records in West Virginia last year. Does he have a long way to go? Sure, but considering how raw he is, he's already ahead of schedule in many ways.

CINDERELLA/SLEEPER: Angel Salome. He was my first choice for that fifth fave, but decided he belongs here. Simply, a 5-foot-7 catcher isn't supposed to make it.

Get your thoughts in...talk to everyone on the air

I wasn't able to listen to the show live, but will keep an eye out and will let folks know when the archive is available.

Jonathan Mayo and Lisa Winston take a look a the Yankees organization with senior VP for baseball operations Mark Newman and the Brewers with assistant director for player development Tony Diggs.

Currently on the home page of MiLB.com, you can listen to a direct link to:

The Brewers' Reid Nichols focuses on five of the team's stud prospects, including Yovani Gallardo.

web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp

In case you're reading this a few days from its post date, here's the link to the archive page from where you can listen to the entire show, which includes more on the Brewers (the Yankees are also included on this version of "Around the Minors"). The date you want is "February 13th".

mlb.mlb.com/mlb/radio/mlb...rchive.jsp

Here's the link to the podcast page for the show:

mlb.mlb.com/mlb/audio/podcast/index.jsp

If you listen to the full archived show, the Brewers' portion begins at the 39:00 minute mark. Reid Nichols was the one interview, so his linked interview above will meet your listening needs on its own.

Angel Salome "should" (I perceived "might") be able to break camp with a team, coming off his broken ankle. Nichols still especially high on him. Reid spoke highly of Lorenzo Cain, otherwise obligatory Ryan Braun and Yovani Gallardo discussion, nothing wrong with that. Darren Ford and Jeremy Jeffress also discussed in some detail...

Also the Yankees pulled down a couple pretty dang good trades this offseason.

Sheffield netted them Humberto Sanchez a name that was bandied about (at least on here) as a potential trade option for Carlos Lee.

Randy Johnson netted them 3 decent pitching prospect two (i believe werer AA or higher.

The Yankees are probably top 10, but it's important to remember that Tabata enjoyed his success at the low-A level last year, Betances pitched in rookie ball, Kennedy and Chamberlain were just drafted, while Whelan and Cox are relievers as endaround noted. Sanchez was a good pickup, but he has durability and conditioning concerns, which isn't a good combo for a young flamethrower.

If readiness plays a large role, the Brewers have two players no the cusp of being big contributors at the big league level (Gallardo and Braun), plus everyone seems to love their depth. The Diamondbacks have one of the most impressive top 3 prospects in the game in Upton, Young and Gonzalez, not to mention some pretty good depth of their own. Having the Yankees ahead of those two teams alone makes it seem as though Goldstein is either a big Yankees fan or he's trying to be different.

How come everyone is projecting YoGa to be a number 2 starter?

I don't think I've seen over a couple prospects ever called a #1. Just like the 30th best pitcher in MLB is never labeled a #1, I guess. No one is an "ace", or I should say, only a dozen pitchers at most are considered that.

Quote:
You misunderstood -- I said break camp with "a team", meaning that he would be able to begin his minor league season on Opening Day, instead of staying in Arizona to rehab his ankle further.

Gotcha. thanks for the correction. My mind doesn't work that well late at night.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Not sure where to put this but BP's top 100 just came out.

12. Ryan Braun, 3B

14. Yovani Gallardo, RHP

75. William Inman, RHP

87. Jeremy Jeffress, RHP

In his chat Kevin Goldstein said some nice things about Jeffress. He also mentioned none of the other brewers came close to making the list and the talent drops off quickly after the top 4.

• 3 weeks later...
Hopefully a couple weeks ago when he was in Texas and going to be cleared to begin throwing in 6 1/2 weeks the staff might err on the side of caution and allow things to run their course. Good to see though the healing ahead of schedule.

Nothing meant really Mass but half expected another argument when I simply stated that things were going well and ahead of schedule for Mark. If things continue as they have been then he's close being within another 4 weeks or so of at least medically released to pick up a ball and do some sort of throwing.I'm sure he's looking forward to picking up a ball or at least a golf club for a variety in his day! Obviously even at that point I'm certain the Brewers will keep him reined in for a while.

Archived