Brewer Fanatic

Miller will not return to Brewers

JJHardy7

I don't know if this is posted anywhere else, but I thought I'd mention it.

Melvin indicated he would not be offering a contract to free-agent catcher Damian Miller, a Wisconsin native who spent the last three years with the Brewers. Instead, Melvin said Mike Rivera, Vinny Rottino and newcomer Eric Munson would compete for the backup role.

"We figure with a veteran guy like Jason on the club, we'd like to have that second spot on the roster be a competitive battle," Melvin said. "And also keep that open in case there's an opportunity to get a catcher, someone who could be a big part of the future, down the road."

Link

Kinda sad to see Miller go. It's hard to argue with the move - as our other options could likely do the same work with the potential to improve.

(Althought how many back-up catchers can have 11 RBIs over the span of two games! If only every day was "La Crosse Day")

I would imagine he could catch on with someone else. But I think he will retire. Miller was a class act.

I feel the same way most seem to. Miller was great for the Brewers and a class act. I hope he feels as good about this time with the Brewers as Brewer fans feel about it. But it is time to move on. I'd be way more comfortable with someone less likely to have age related problems in that position. Not to mention the chance for one of the other guys to show what they are capable of.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

His 2007 post All Star Game splits: .161/.238/.237 showed, even in a reduced role, he wore down. I suspect he'll call it a career.

davego, there are very, very few players that if in that same position as Miller wouldn't have done the exact same thing. These are baseball players who by and large are independent contractors, not truck drivers. He got a chance to show what he could do. He might not have ever gotten another.

His 2007 post All Star Game splits: .161/.238/.237 showed, even in a reduced role, he wore down. I suspect he'll call it a career.

davego, there are very, very few players that if in that same position as Miller wouldn't have done the exact same thing. These are baseball players who by and large are independent contractors, not truck drivers. He got a chance to show what he could do. He might not have ever gotten another.

Miller did benefit from something he wasn't willing to sacrifice for though. I do understand the differance you are trying to make but if it wasn't for the union, whose line he crossed, he wouldn't be a millionaire today. In fact he'd probably be looking for a truck driving job now that his playing days are coming to an end. It should also be pointed out that there were plenty of minor league players who were not willing to do what he said. I think your claim that there were very very few is not accurate at all. Just look at how few major league caliber players actaully did cross.

He had a very solid career if this is the end of the line, especially considering he didn't make his MLB debut until he was 27 -- a World Series ring, an All-Star game, and a good amount of money that he's been very, very smart with (baseball reference estimates just over $19M for his career). It wouldn't surprise me if he someday ended up coaching baseball at West Salem High or Viterbo University...he just seems like the kind of guy who'll always be around baseball in some capacity.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

John, I'm just throwing that out there. It is part of the 'Damien Miller Story." Enough time has gone by that (I assume) many of the hard feelings have passed.

I'm not sure what most players would have done. Shoot, I don't know what I would have done. I remember @ the time, feelings were pretty raw.

I do understand the differance you are trying to make but if it wasn't for the union, whose line he crossed, he wouldn't be a millionaire today.

Is Miller a part of the union though? -- I seem to remember that he couldn't be included in some video games because he was a replacement player.

No I don't believe he is. Regardless of that his ability to negotiate for that type of salary is predicated on the groundwork done by the union. If not for the union there wouldn't be free agency, owners could set a pay scale far below what they have to pay now, they wouldn't have to charter flights or stay in the best hotels in town, he wasn't subjected to PED testing until union members were... the list goes on. Although he probably misses out on some benefits the union memebers receive through the CBA there are plenty of benefits he enjoys regardless of his membership. Simply put Miller would not have made $19 million if there wouldn't have been a union. He certainly wouldn't have made that much if everyone would have crossed the pickett line when he did either.

This was a really good signing, especially for about the first year and a half. Solid player. With the Brewers past forays into FA, he's probably a top 10 signing in their history.

I probably wouldn't disagree.

I remember a lot of folks being vaguely disappointed at the time though because it was such an unsexy signing

My friends and I still call him Zombie Catcher, for the joke coming into Spring Training in 2006, that he was old enough to die in Spring Training, then come back as a zombie. If he ever scored, we could shout "BRAINS!! RBI!!!" at the tv.

He was just about our favorite player to root for.

I really liked Damian and thought he was a solid catcher - considering we had just come from a Chad Moeller/Gary Bennett catching pairing.

I've always hoped Damian would be considered as a replacement for Bill Schroeder. Damian obviously understands the game, if from Wisconsin so he can appreciate the culture and is a halarious story teller. Perhaps the Brewers could do something like the Bucks are doing this year easing Scott Williams in to replace John McGlocklin by adding him in some way to the telecast?

I like Melvin's rationale for not re-signing Miller. This gives the team the flexibility to make a deal for a guy like Shoppach or Mathis at some point without having to worry about Miller's feelings. Also, I really like Mike Rivera, so I hope he takes advantage of this opportunity to be on an Opening Day roster.

I wonder where Damian ends up? Back to the Cubs maybe? Or are they set on Blanco as their backup? The Yankees? They could use an upgrade on Jose Molina. There shouldn't be any shortage of opportunities for him in 2008 considering the fact that Chad Moeller played in the Majors for 2 (!?!?!!) teams last season.

No, Miller is not part of the Union.. Here is a very good article from 2002 about it..

http://espn.go.com/magazine/kurkjian_20020829.html

Miller, the catcher for the Diamondbacks and one of the leaders of the team, doesn't consider himself a replacement player. He played in one "B" game that spring because he was told by his team at the time, the Twins, that he would not be punished by participating. Yet, to some degree, he still is being punished. His name was not included on the Diamondbacks' T-shirt celebrating the team's National League West title in 1999, nor on the T-shirt commemorating the 2001 World Series championship. When the Diamondbacks have met on union matters, Miller would leave the room and sit in the manager's office. How uncomfortable is that?

Archived