Brewer Fanatic

Rays unveil new stadium

adamb100

ST. PETERSBURG -- The Tampa Bay Rays, who have played indoors at Tropicana Field for their first 10 seasons,unveiled plans on Wednesday for a retractable-roof, 34,000-seat, open-air waterfront ballpark that could open as early as 2012.

Source and renderings: http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071128&content_id=2313331&vkey=news_tb&fext=.jsp&c_id=tb

Well, it certainly looks impressive.

Their current stadium isn't even that old, though, is it?

Construction on Tropicana Field started in 1986. It was finished in 1990, but had no occupant until the Rays got their franchise in 1993 when the Lightning started using it. The Devil Rays came along in '96, finally.

I really like the look of the new stadium, from what I can tell from the photo. It just seems to me like Florida teams will always be destined to have low attendance, no matter what the ballpark

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At least they aren't going with the retro look. I think their design is pretty cool.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I attended a game at Tropicana in 2004. While not very old, the place is, well, a dump.

If you can imagine what a place would look like that was built as cheaply as possible, that's what Tropicana is. It's dark, dank and spartan in it's imenities. It's quite depressing walking in from the Florida sunshine to such a dark inhospitable place. It's concourses are like walking through a dark alley at night. Amazingly, the main entrance is actually in CF and you have to walk half way around the park to get to seats by home plate.

The views aren't bad, and you can walk up and get a good seat at a reasonable price virtually every game but that's about it.

Plus the Trop is way out in the middle of nowhere - basically they picked a spot near a big interchange if I'm not mistaken.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think the new football stadium in AZ has a transparent roof.

Plus the Trop is way out in the middle of nowhere - basically they picked a spot near a big interchange if I'm not mistaken.

Glad the Brewers would never do this.

Wow, that stadium looks incredible. And I agree it appears that they've left room to add seats in the future. Very cool design.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Community Moderator

If that is built, it will be the most unique, coolest-looking stadium in MLB. It looks like the roof is designed to look like a sailboat and I imagine that the roof material will be canvas-like instead of a bulky, expensive steel roof. The major issue is that it will probably be very hot in there, despite their "climate cooling" methods described in the article.

I really hope it gets built, there are baseball fans in Tampa Bay and Orlando and they need this in order to make baseball trendy again.

"Glad the Brewers would never do this. "

Should have seen this coming http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif. At least MP is within shouting distance of downtown. Where 894/I43 and Hwy 45 meet out in Hales Corners is probably a better comparison.

Not to be negative, and I am not an architect or engineer of any sort, but doesn't the roof kind of look like a disaster waiting to happen? I'm sure it will be fine, and will be built solidly...just kind of pointing out from a layman's perspective.

Still, I think it's a really neat design. I would go down there just to see a game or two if it gets built.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't care if the Trop is only 15-20 years old, it was a complete dump. I've only been to six stadiums, but it is by far the worst one I've seen. It's probably good they only plan on 34,000 seats, but what if they get really good in 8 or 10 years and they're always selling out?

Archived