Brewer Fanatic

Riske close to being a Brewer? (Possible announcement midweek)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riske sounds like an unspectacular but solid & steady arm to sign for the pen. Granted, he's been around long enough to be a free agent, so he has a track record. And that track record shows he's not a scrap-heap pickup but a more established arm.

And taking a step back to look at what Melvin's trying to do to the pen, isn't it try to add more strong arms attached to steady relievers to the bullpen? You'll find warts with about anyone. Mariano Rivera has blows saves in his lifetime and has actually shown some signs of being mortal (does that mean he's trending down and we shouldn't have like him?).

Riske's not a Rivera or Eckersley. But he's surely notches up from Chris Spurling, thank goodness, and assuming this goes where it seems headed, I like this move.

My only question is, if Melvin likes Riske, and he should, why didn't we get him last July? Solid set-up guy, like others have said, will be a better pickup for the Brewers than Linebrink will be for the Sox.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Oh yeah, I forgot about Stetter. And Choate too. Overall, I think we could have a solid pen from top to bottom, with plenty of inning eaters. While we don't have anyone quite as dominate as Cordero, I think the back and middle parts of our bullpen could potentially be better. And perhaps, the key to our bullpen is being solid throughout, instead of having one dominating arm and a lot of junk (like it was last year). In a way I see it this way:

Let's compare what the '07 opening day bullpen could look like in comparison to the '08 opening day bullpen:

'07: '08

CL: Cordero CL: Riske Advantage - '07(Cordero is obviously the better pitcher, but Riske actually posted better ERA numbers than Cordero did last year)

SU: Turnbow SU: Turnbow Advantage - Draw

MR: Villenueva MR: Bush Advantage - Draw (Villenueva did well for a while but also stumbled pretty badly midseason while in the bullpen)

MR: Wise MR: Wise Slight Advantage - '08 (Wise's numbers the last three seasons indicate that he is capable of having a sub 4 ERA)

MR: Aquino MR: Mota/Vargas/Stetter/McClung/Choate Big Advantage -'08 (One of these guys should step up and do nicely)

Lefty: Shouse Lefty: Shouse Slight Advantage - '07 (He may not quite post the numbers he did last year, but he'll probably still be very good at what he does)

Long Relief: Dessens Long Relief: Parra Big Advantage - '08 (Parra should be head and shoulders better than Dessens, he has electric stuff, and could be a darkhorse for closer)

So if opening day were today, I would see our bullpen as about even or better than last years. We should be stronger in the middle innings than we were last season. We should also have a few more guys who are capable of throwing more than one inning, which will keep our bullpen better rested. I would say it would be an overstatement to call our pen a weakness at this point (assuming we sign Riske). Although, as is always the case, there is always a bit of room for improvement.

Blown saves are meaningless for set-up guys, as any lead lost in the 6th inning counts as a "blown save", even though they had no chance of picking up a save.

I'm sure Linebrink has similar numbers, as would Rivera back before he became the closer in Gotham. Any career middle man will have a low %.

Those aren't meaningless blown saves like you are insinuating. Riske was given the chance to close in 2003 and 2004. He failed miserable, so he wasn't just a set up guy until 2005. He was replaced by Wickman. In 2006 Riske was plagued by back problems - which is worry some given his back surgery in 2000. His back flared up in 2003 also. Riske EARNED his reputation of pitching well in meaningless innings and imploding under any kind of pressure. Ask any Cleveland fan. On the positive side of things, Riske returned to his set up role for KC after being relegated to middle relief by Cleveland and the Whitesox. Last year Riske was dominant at times as KC's set up guy. He's not a guy you can lean on day after day though. He will wear down, so I'm a little worried about how Ned will lean on him too much when he's good, thus wearing him out and causing his back to flare up again. All things considered I think he's a good signing.

Riske seemed to handle the 7th and 8th innings just fine, but when used in save situations he imploded. There are some pitchers like that, no one knows why but it is what it is. Riske IMO is a good replacement for Linebrink. Now all Ned needs to do is replace Cordero.

"While Riske has a reputation for wilting under pressure, he's been a very durable and reliable setup man through the years."

This is the kind of crap ESPN pulls & gets away with because there's no real competition for them. That is an absolute joke of a comment. I'm pissed off to read crap like that. If there's anything to criticize about Riske, "wilting under pressure" is certainly not one of them. His strand rates are so good it doesn't seem to make sense. What a joke of a mudslinging shot at a fine pitcher.

Oh wait, he was hurt the only season he ever played in a big media market (Bos.)? Yea, nevermind then, he totally wilts under pressure. CRAP - I mean, ESPN suckzzzzzzzz.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif / http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Dude he earned that rep while in Cleveland and ask any Indian's fan...they will tell you the same thing. He was given a chance to close more then once while in Cleveland and he imploded. He often blew up in pressure situations then would dominate for stretches in low pressure situations. for the most part he's a good set up guy who can't handle the closers role. There are pitchers like that, believe it or not. It's a mental thing I guess. But ESPN was actually not off base to make that comment.

For KC last year Riske was great as their setup guy. But KC refused to give him a shot at closing, even though they needed one. The is not a closer and I don't think Melvin signed him to be our closer. He's linebrink's replacement. Also I think Riske is good paired up with Turnbow. Riske cannot handle alot of innings. So having Turnbow and Riske sharing set up duties is a good thing.

I like this signing, hopefully the dollar figures are reasonable.

The big plus, in my mind, is now when Melvin is trying to trade off one or more of his starting pitchers he dosen't have to move them for a reliever. He can get best available player. Other teams also won't see Melvin as desperate for a closer, so they would be less likely to try and play hardball with him. Im not saying that I don't want another arm added to the pen, just that Melvin isn't as desperate.

IMHO, Eddie Guardado would be the type of player I would like Melvin to sign now. Guardado will probably get less than 2 million, and potentially might only get a minor league contract. Guardado would be the ideal low risk high reward player.

My only question is, if Melvin likes Riske, and he should, why didn't we get him last July? Solid set-up guy, like others have said, will be a better pickup for the Brewers than Linebrink will be for the Sox.

Because KC wasn't offering him up?

Maybe because the Royals wanted the same package as the Padres and Riske is not a type A free agent.

If we can get Nathan or Cordero, this would be a phenomenal bookend signing. I also wouldn't have a problem with Riske closing (as closers are made, not born), but I'd feel much better with another strong relief arm.

Yup - One more arm that could possibly be classified as dominant, and our pen is well stocked and set to go.

How do I get the blue font, by the way?

When you make a post that's not in the quick reply you should have a bunch of tools at the top. Look all the way to the left for an "A" with a row of different colors below it. Then just highlight the words you want to make blue, click on the "A" logo, pick the color and hit ok.

An array of colors lies ahead!

Just to have put it out there, ESPN Radio (during their sportscenter updates, not their regular programming...unlike the Gammons/Jones note) cited Buster Olney in stating that Riske was going to sign a 1-year deal with the Brewers.

I don't put much stock in it (as every other source has said 3 years), but I waited until I heard them say it more than once before posting here.

(as closers are made, not born)

what are you basing this on?

I have always held the belief that certain guys are born with the closer mentality, others are not...

not that you can't teach closing, but if they have the attitude to begin with, it surely helps.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Just to have put it out there, ESPN Radio (during their sportscenter updates, not their regular programming...unlike the Gammons/Jones note) cited Buster Olney in stating that Riske was going to sign a 1-year deal with the Brewers.

I don't put much stock in it (as every other source has said 3 years), but I waited until I heard them say it more than once before posting here.

wonder what a one year deal will cost us?
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

You know, I just think that maybe our bullpen isn't as bad as we think. Relievers are notorious for up and down years, right? If so, I think some of ours will bounce back. Plus, if I was management I'd have Bush and Vargas in the pen. As I see it our pen was ineffective last year because they got worn out by the starters. Bush and Vargas could be real innings eaters in back to back games if the starters imploded. This would keep Shouse, Turnbow, Riske, Wise much fresher. I think maybe even dramatically so. I'd spend more time sorting out the defense and outfield than the pen.

On the "closers are made" side -

Failed starting pitchers -

Rollie Fingers

John Wetteland

Eric Gagne

Jason Isringhausen

Joe Nathan

Jose Mesa

Solomon Torres

Ryan Dempster

"Out of nowhere"

Bob Wickman

Bobby Jenks

Doug Jones (about nine times)

Todd Jones

Derrick Turnbow

Dan Kolb

Takashi Saito

David Weathers

Donnie Moore

"Crap! Put someone out there who can close"

Dennis Eckersley

Tom Gordon

John Smoltz

Brett Myers

"We stink, just draft a kid and make him our closer"

Huston Street

Chad Cordero

For certain, some guys fail miserably as closer, which I think has to be a mental issue. It's getting three guys out without allowing 1-3 runs, no matter which guys are due up for the opposition - closers are set up to succeed the vast majority of the time. Some guys don't take to the ninth inning, but a lot of guys do just fine.

Archived