Brewer Fanatic

Riske close to being a Brewer? (Possible announcement midweek)

So far, we have not gotten better at any position.

I might be worried if it were March 1.

We know we will have to overpay for a reliever if we try to sign a FA, if Riske is the closest to a sure thing as we can find, I think you just bite the bullet on the cost and find a couple cheaper (scrap heap) options thru trade to supplement his signing. Saying this would be a step backwards is silly; Riske would instantly be our best reliever with what we currently have.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been critical of Tom Haudricourt, but I have to echo other comments made here about the nice work he's been doing with his blog. Just 30 minutes after he wrote about Percival signing with Tampa, he responded to a question someone wrote in his blog that wanted to know whether Riske was about to sign with the Brewers by stating that he's looking into it. Be curious to see if he is able to confirm it or be able to shed any additional light on it tonight.

Rotoworld thinks the deal is closer to 3 yr 12 mil. I can get behind that.

ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports that the Brewers and David Riske are close to an agreement on a multiyear deal.

Olney didn't have the terms, but Riske figured to get at least $12 million for three years. While Riske has a reputation for wilting under pressure, he's been a very durable and reliable setup man through the years. The Brewers figure to keep him in that role rather than turn over closing duties to him.

"While Riske has a reputation for wilting under pressure, he's been a very durable and reliable setup man through the years."

This is the kind of crap ESPN pulls & gets away with because there's no real competition for them. That is an absolute joke of a comment. I'm pissed off to read crap like that. If there's anything to criticize about Riske, "wilting under pressure" is certainly not one of them. His strand rates are so good it doesn't seem to make sense. What a joke of a mudslinging shot at a fine pitcher.

Oh wait, he was hurt the only season he ever played in a big media market (Bos.)? Yea, nevermind then, he totally wilts under pressure. CRAP - I mean, ESPN suckzzzzzzzz.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif / http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I can live with Riske and T-Bow at the back end of the pen. Mota could be the 7th inning guy. Still dont know what is going to happen with Bush, Parra, Cappy, CV guys that dont get in the pen. One of them could be moved to the closer role during the season.

We have a ton of options in the pen if this signing goes through. I have no issue with going by committee to close games. Maybe then Ned would not stay with a guy when he struggles.

I'm with you on Riske & TBow, hauser, but I really hope there's another arm that's yet to be added to the bullpen. In fact, I'll just get real greedy and hope that this remaining pitcher would be better than the other guys, too.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would also like to commend Tom on his blog this off season. Much more informative than usual - I guess the editors really put the clamps on rumors in the print edition. I hope we get this kind of coverage during the season too.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I concur. In other words:

http://www.eyepi.co.uk/masters/gfx/content/vanilla_ice.jpg

Word to your mother.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Another update on Haudricout's blog,

Kansas City free agent reliever David Riske is a Class B free agent, so the Brewers won't have to surrender a draft pick to sign him. Instead, the Royals would get a compensation pick in the draft next year.

It appears the sides have focused on a three-year deal. I just talked to Riske's agent, Nez Balelo, who agreed with Brewers general manager Doug Melvin that the sides are closing in on an agreement.

Neither side would reveal what kind of money is being discussed, but you can guess by looking at the market. Brewers free agent set-up man Scott Linebrink signed for four years and $19 million with the Chicago White Sox. Troy Percival apparently has agreed to a two-year deal for $8 million with Tampa Bay.

So, we're talking about $4 million or $5 million a year for set-up pitchers this winter. That would make a three-year deal with Riske worth between $12 million and $15 million, and probably would include incentives should he slide into the closer's role.

Melvin said Wednesday he hoped to add a reliever to the bullpen before leaving Sunday for the winter meetings in Nashville, and he is on the verge of doing exactly that.

If you can wade through all of the Packers-Cowboys coverage tomorrow in the JS, look for my story on this pending deal.

I think this is a very solid pickup, and if he is only getting 4-5 million a year for 3 years, thats definitely not bad. Now we need a closer and our BP is set.

I think this makes it a lot easier for Melvin to concentrate on acquiring a LF/3B player. I'm very excited to see who they pick up. I really hope its not Randy Winn, or Dave Roberts.

TLB, you should not be upset with the "wilting" comment, as it probably led to the Crew being able to afford him. While I know it's ridiculous that a pitcher can get through the 8th with a one-run lead, but not the ninth up three, a "proven closer" is worth oodles more. That's why Frankie got $11.5M per and Dave will get about half that.

Don't forget, guys with high OBP's "clog up the bases". http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Don't forget, guys with high OBP's "clog up the bases". http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Too bad the Reds still don't have Wily Mo Pena. I would've liked to see Dusty play him and bench Dunn. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Community Moderator
I don't like the years or the price, but that is market value and we don't have a choice, since the bullpen (or arguably Ned's management of it) ruined us last year. I would like a big name for 3B or LF, but pitching is most important right now. We can't have unproven pitchers pitching in close games. Sign Riske.

Blown saves are meaningless for set-up guys, as any lead lost in the 6th inning counts as a "blown save", even though they had no chance of picking up a save.

I'm sure Linebrink has similar numbers, as would Rivera back before he became the closer in Gotham. Any career middle man will have a low %.

If we get this worked out, I like it. And I was thinking, we have a lot of pitchers that could slide into the bullpen (assuming they don't get traded).

Current list of guys who could end up in the pen:

Riske

Turnbow

Bush

Parra (does anyone else think he might do pretty well?)

Shouse

Wise

McClung

Mota

Vargas (might be a good reliever)

Is it possible that a combination of those guys could form a solid pen? I think the potential is there. And having Bush, Vargas and Parra in the pen would give us plenty of guys who could go multiple innings.

Is it possible that a combination

Archived