Brewer Fanatic

Riske close to being a Brewer? (Possible announcement midweek)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A three year deal worth $18 to 20 million? If true, that better include the 4th option year, otherwise I'm calling this "report" BS. They could have kept Linebrink around for 4 years for that kind of money.

Per splitter's point about the possible 2-year deal out there, I don't get the feeling that Melvin will completely cave to get Riske.

I'm going to wait until this new rumor blog gets one right before I take anything it reports seriously. Credibility goes a long way, as anyone can open a rumor site and post idle speculation as information provided from a source.

Overpaying with cash is better than overpaying with prospects.

I agree. I like this option MUCH more than giving up Hall + for Nathan, who will also require a king's ransom (probably somewhere around 4/60) anyhow after next season. I'm not suggesting Riske has nearly the same closer ability as Nathan, but the overall cost (in players and cash) is very different as well.

I wouldnt mind this but the guy isnt exactly a workhorse either

2007 - 65 games

2006 - 41 games

2005 - 58 games

So why has he pitched so little is everyone is correct in saying he isnt an injury threat. Granted when he pitches he has pitched very well, his highest ERA the last 3 years is only about 3.85 with a decent WHIP as well. I just dont understand why he hasnt pitched a whole lot if he hasnt been injured.

In 2006, he was on the DL with Boston early that year, came back in June, and was dealt to the White Sox. I don't think it was anything serious. Throw out that year, and he's averaged over 70 innings since 2003. That's pretty good.

He's okay. I'd put him a notch above Linebrink because he's been in AL in better hitter's parks. Yeah the price is high, but that's the going rate these days for teams that need relievers and the Brewers are in that category.

I wouldn't expect anything spectacular if he's the closer but I would suspect he would be able to avoid meltdowns that result in 3 run leads dissapating instantly.

I would say a trade for Fuentes would look nice along with a Riske signing. I know Fuentes is peer speculation by fans and message boards but it would make sense for both parts. Him and Riske on the back end would make me feel a little more comfortable.

I think if you are paying Riske, 5-6 million a year, you atleast let him compete for the closers job in spring training. I know he has never was a full time closer, but i'd atleast like him to have a chance. I have been following this team for 20 years, and the only closer we had i can remember that actually had closers experience was CoCo and Doug Jones. This team has consistently took set up men and made them closers.

Archived