Brewer Fanatic

Offseason analysis (Brewers and otherwise)

jaybird2001wi

With the new acquisition of Delmon Young by the Twins, it seems they were reactive after the loss of Torii Hunter to the Los Angeles Angels. The Angels dealt Orlando Cabrera to the ChiSox for Garland, maybe a prelude to an Angels acquisition of Miguel Cabrera? It may take a Howie Kendrick and/or Chone Figgins to complete the deal, but it seems like the Angels are setting themselves up for Miggy at this point.

In Brewers' country, according to some "internet message boarders" on cbs sportsline, it seems like they believe a possible acquisition of Joe Nathan as a closer seems "out of touch" with reality. But with the recent trading of Juan Rincon, the only alternative as a closer IF Nathan is dealt is Pat Neshek of Madison.

The most intriguing part of the Kendall signing by the Brewers is it seems like Doug Melvin side-stepped a lot of issues during the press conference introducing Kendall as the "starting catcher." It seemed like he didn't have ANY plans for Damian Miller being resigned by the Crew next season, but then announced, as a paraphrase, "If a deal were to come through that can help us in the long term, we would be receptive of it." I am not sure if Melvin does not believe Lou Palmisano is capable of doing ANYTHING in the Majors because his development has slowed big time since being "promoted" to AA Huntsville and Melvin became emphatic about Eric Munson and Vinny Rottino. Which means, Melvin is not very optimistic about "Sweet Lou" Palmisano's development at this point.

Us Carl Crawford "lovers," including your's truly, is out the door with the dealing of Delmon Young to the Twins. Which means, we may need to look at other alternatives at a cheaper scale, I would like to say Aaron Rowand for centerfield... but since Hunter jilted the ChiSox for the Angels, I believe the ChiSox GM Ken Williams will be more upfront with Rowand as a returnee with the Sox.

In regards to the Brewers' pitching situation, Melvin seems to be very "close to his chest" about it. Brewers management acknowledges a need for a shuffle of the pitching staff (with published reports indicating Ben Sheets is falling out of favor with Brewer fans as a starter), but Melvin seems to have no saying in regards to it.

Although, as a journalism "student," I believe the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel asks "softball" questions to Doug Melvin regarding any personnel decisions.

I believe, as a future hard news journalist that the Journal-Sentinel asks a ton of softball questions to Brewer management, which does not put any pressure on them to do anything about issues that need to be addressed.

The Journal-Sentinel has failed to ask these questions and failed to follow up on the answers based on fan discord:

1) Francisco Cordero left for Cincinnati, Melvin shrugged his shoulders and did not directly answer the question... sending the media to believe Turnbow would be handed the job again.

2) Since the signing of Jason Kendall, Melvin essentially said Damian Miller is no longer in the plans of the Brewers and touted Eric Munson as Kendall's backup in today's news conference and then subsequently stated (as I said above) if a good offer comes around to help the club in the major future, he would "pull the trigger."

3) There seems to be no published progress in rectifying any of the problems the Brewers had in the outfield, we know Hart will be in the OF somewhere and Hall "may" switch due to Ryan Braun's lack of defensive prowess at the hot corner. But the Milwaukee media has failed to put the pressure on Melvin to even talk about this issue. This may cause some discord among Hall, who has been shipped everywhere in the infield and then sent to centerfield because his offense was substantial.

As a fan, and as a cautious observer, it seems like the Brewers are becoming doomed to alienate every new prospect because they have no immediate plans for anything. Doug Melvin and Co. need to figure out a plan and decide RIGHT AWAY as to what to do with the young prospects because it sickens me because why would ANY young prospect want to play here if there positions change every year. Brewer management needs to stop this now...

As a fan, and as a cautious observer, it seems like the Brewers are becoming doomed to alienate every new prospect because they have no immediate plans for anything. Doug Melvin and Co. need to figure out a plan and decide RIGHT AWAY as to what to do with the young prospects because it sickens me because why would ANY young prospect want to play here if there positions change every year. Brewer management needs to stop this now...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but come on. When you're talking about prospects they really don't have a decision where they wanna play, and as a matter of fact more times then none they don't care. These kids have a dream, to get to the MLB. And being that good a position change shouldn't become shocking, nor should it be that large of a challenge. Again, these are PRO players, not 16 year old high s chool players.

Doug Melvin and Co. need to figure out a plan and decide RIGHT AWAY as to what to do with the young prospects

To be honest I'd much rather Melvin didn't rush ahead wtih some sort of hard plan that he has to fill regardless of circumstance. I'd rather our GM be fluid and abe to adopt his strategy to the changes in the environement around him.

Although, as a journalism "student," I believe the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel asks "softball" questions to Doug Melvin regarding any personnel decisions.

I believe, as a future hard news journalist that the Journal-Sentinel asks a ton of softball questions to Brewer management, which does not put any pressure on them to do anything about issues that need to be addressed.

You may find in the future that these softball questions are the only ones that get an answer. Melvin has no obligation to reveal any potential plans he has regardless of the pressure. In fact I'd be very disappointed in him if he started revealing who he's targeting or any specific plans he has this early in the offseason. It simply doesn't make sense to show your cards before you have to. My guess is the JS or any other media outlet knows this all too well and act accordingly.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The most intriguing part of the Kendall signing by the Brewers is it seems like Doug Melvin side-stepped a lot of issues during the press conference introducing Kendall as the "starting catcher." It seemed like he didn't have ANY plans for Damian Miller being resigned by the Crew next season

Well regardless of if the Brewers kept Estrada or traded for Kendall -- Miller was not going to be a starting catcher for the Brewers or anyone.

Which means, Melvin is not very optimistic about "Sweet Lou" Palmisano's development at this point.

Maybe -- I don't think Palmisano is going to be good enough to be a starting catcher in MLB -- however C is the one position that probably is going to require the most backing up, so having a solid C that can start 40 games, is way more important than finding a backup for Corey Hart or Prince Fielder.

I believe the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel asks "softball" questions to Doug Melvin regarding any personnel decisions.

I think this is true -- I also think the JS is over the top in its homerism -- I tend to read guys like Andy Baggot in Madison -- who have a way more objective perspective on the Brewers.

That being stated, I am not sure what DM should be or could be saying at this point in the off-season. 90% of what comes out of his mouth is intentionally misleading, I'd watch what he does rather than put a lot of stock in what he says.

To the original poster,what prospects are changing positions every year?Hall moved to CF to pave the way for Braun of course.

But Fielder,Weeks,and Hardy are staying where they are.Hart is entrenched as an OF'er.

I can understand moving Braun to LF someday.But that may be due merely to the fact that as a third baseman,he makes a better leftfielder.

I'm not sure that the Brewers move thier prospects around anymore than any team.

jaybird2001wi wrote:

3) There seems to be no published progress in rectifying any of the problems the Brewers had in the outfield, we know Hart will be in the OF somewhere and Hall "may" switch due to Ryan Braun's lack of defensive prowess at the hot corner. But the Milwaukee media has failed to put the pressure on Melvin to even talk about this issue. This may cause some discord among Hall, who has been shipped everywhere in the infield and then sent to centerfield because his offense was substantial.

I don't recall anything this offseason, outside of boards like this, saying that moving Hall was an option. The only things stated were that Braun was willing to move if an outside player could be brought in to play 3B. Nothing about Hall moving was ever broached as a posibility by Melvin or anybody else in the organization.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I believe, as a future hard news journalist that the Journal-Sentinel asks a ton of softball questions to Brewer management, which does not put any pressure on them to do anything about issues that need to be addressed

You're saying the reporters need to try and influence the team? The last thing I want Melvin to care about is "pressure" from fans and media.

Doug Melvin and Co. need to figure out a plan and decide RIGHT AWAY as to what to do with the young prospects because it sickens me because why would ANY young prospect want to play here if there positions change every year. Brewer management needs to stop this now...

I don't understand what you're saying here. If the Brewers draft a guy, he's going to be Brewer property, it's not like they hold out very much like in other sports.

As far as I'm concerned, the baseball/sports media is a collection of dolts, and I love seeing Melvin not answer their questions. Of course he's not going to disclose any plans, I defy you to show me a GM who does.

Archived