Brewer Fanatic

Songs that make your ears bleed

danzig6767

1. Anything by REO Speedwagon.- If I hear the stupid beginning to Ridin The Storm Out one more time, I may go find the razor blades.

2. Almost all new country- It's not country anymore, it's pop music.

3. Rap that degrades women, cops, etc. Can't stand hearing the F word 30 times in a "song".

4. People that play the same 4 or 5 tunes at my bar. One guy plays "Luck Be a Lady" by Frank Sinatra. I love Frank Sinatra, I really do. But there is 300 Sinatra tunes in the hard drive on the jukebox. Play something else once. Please.

5. Eminem- He should be #1, sorry.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm more of a Twisted Sister guy myself.

It's hard not to be a fan. If you ever need to borrow a T.S. CD, let me know.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I'm more of a Twisted Sister guy myself.

It's hard not to be a fan. If you ever need to borrow a T.S. CD, let me know.

I have them all as well...lol
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Turbo, based on every music thread I've read, I know you and I are in the absolute minority around here. There are a few others, but not many.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Turbo, based on every music thread I've read, I know you and I are in the absolute minority around here. There are a few others, but not many.
so sad there are so many un-enlightened music fans around here eh?

lol

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Classic Rock is really losing me. If you're listening to the radio (often at work), and it's a classic rock station (The Lake or 101.5 in/near Madison), they will only play the STAPLES from any band they play. There's bands from the 60's, 70's and 80's that probably put out over a hundred songs or more, and you're still lucky if you hear anything other than "Keep on Rolling" if they play REO. It wouldn't be so bad if they played some of the B-sides and non-singles from bands like the Stones, Springsteen, REO, etc, etc, etc.

Granted, new rock stations are the same, playing the current singles over and over, but everything usually gets pushed out in 5-6 weeks or so as new material comes in.

Rap? Bleah. That's not even music.

Any of you Twisted Sister guys catch them at the Waukesha County fair last year? Great stuff I thought. Best $12 I've ever spent to go to the fair that night.

My personal favorites...

- Girl throws bra on stage, Dee throws it back, "too small"

- (not verbatim) , "we've been together 30 years, well except that time Animal brought a gun to rehearsal"

Classic Rock is really losing me. If you're listening to the radio (often at work), and it's a classic rock station (The Lake or 101.5 in/near Madison), they will only play the STAPLES from any band they play. There's bands from the 60's, 70's and 80's that probably put out over a hundred songs or more, and you're still lucky if you hear anything other than "Keep on Rolling" if they play REO. It wouldn't be so bad if they played some of the B-sides and non-singles from bands like the Stones, Springsteen, REO, etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, pretty much every classic rock station is the same. You can only hear Stairway so many times.

There is alot of crappy rap out there, but it's like most every genre of music, you gotta look outside of what radio stations or MTV pumps out at you. I'd guess rap is maybe only about 1/3 to a 1/4 of my music collection, but very little of that rap ever was played on the radio.

It's amazing how bad most FM radio stations are, especially in the Milwaukee area. All there is to choose from are Top 40 stations, classic rock stations that play the same songs over and over, or socalled rock stations like The Hog that's caught in a time warp and still thinks it's 1986. My buddy just bought his aunts car and all it has it a radio, we were driving in it last week. So he has The Hog 102.9 on and my god was it terrible. Playing stuff like Whitesnake, Tesla, and of course heard Back in Black for the 987,567th time. All they needed to play was The Scorpions and Ratt and i could have felt like i was 13 again with back high tops on and a comb sticking out of my back pocket. I swear their music playlist must not have changed over the last 15-20 years, that station was playing the same songs when i was a freshman in high school with feathered hair. Like most everyone else, i like hearing music from my youth/past once in awhile, but radio stations here are allergic to playing anything outside of their couple hundred song play lists.

There are many reasons to like the internet, but for me, the best thing has an easy ability to find and enjoy music i'd likely never have had a chance to hear otherwise. Whether it's rap, rock, or other genre's of music, the variety of good music i've been able to find went up dramatically the last 5-6 years because of the net vs having to count on radio stations to play anything different or fresh, which they rarely ever do. At least that's the case here.

Yeah anything good I find now comes from looking through the internet. And 94.1 WJJO. Now only if Milwaukee could get a station like that that actually has some balls. Although they do play Nickelback and Three Days Grace, both of whom I absolutely cannot stand.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

If "balls" defines what JJO plays, I'd rather be a eunuch. But to each his own, I guess.

I think that 102.1 and Q101 down here in Chicago do an OK job. They could be better, for sure, but at least you hear some new music. I'm guessing that no other station in Milwaukee would play Postal Service or Wilco.

Well JJO plays just about the hardest stuff I've ever heard on the radio, definitely never heard anything like that in Milwaukee. I know it's tough to play truly hard stuff on the radio but I think they do a fairly good job. They play Shadows Fall, Killswitch, Slipknot, etc. none of which I've heard out of Milwaukee.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Yeah, pretty much every classic rock station is the same. You can only hear Stairway so many times.

Amen ... One of my favorite SCTV moments...

While I grew up listening to classic rock stations, I never listen to them anymore. -- I think the XM/Sirius has a number of neat channels that will play songs deep in an artist's catalog. I heard a song from Focus the other day -- I am pretty sure I have never heard them on WIBA.

I do like Gene Simmons personally though. When i used to listen to Stern often, Simmons was on quite a few times and he seemed like a real cool guy and while i don't think Kiss were talented musicians, i give them credit. They've made mega millions doing something they greatly enjoyed, few people in life can say that. I know i can't.

My take on KISS is that Simmons and Stanley are incredibly sharp businessmen, and they are not going to let something like music or art get in the way of their profitability

Amen ... One of my favorite SCTV moments...

It's funny that Dolly Parton did actually end up covering it, like 20 years later.

My take on KISS is that Simmons and Stanley are incredibly sharp businessmen, and they are not going to let something like music or art get in the way of their profitability

Pretty much - you can get virtually anything with a KISS logo on it, it seems. I guess I don't blame the band so much as the idiot who needs a KISS toilet seat.

image or not, Kiss has some GREAT FREAKING tunes, it always amazes me when people say they have no talent when each band member has been critically acclaimed for their musicianship at some point in their careers. How many bands can claim to have 4 lead singers other than the beatles and maybe a couple others. Now, I am not comparing Kiss to the beatles, so don't bother going there.

Ever listen to Gene's bass playing, Ace Fregley's guitar, or Peter Criss's drums in a Kiss tune? I love their sound, period!

It seems that a lot of people listen to the critics instead of with their own ears when it comes to music.

doesn't matter really, I like them, and that is all that really matters to me.

It seems that a lot of people listen to the critics instead of with their own ears when it comes to music.

I have never ever heard KISS talked about as critically acclaimed musicians.

I think their music has its place -- but I think a pretty reasonable case can be made against the musicianship of KISS.

I'm a pretty big KISS fan myself (or at least was), having been to the past 3 Milwaukee Concerts. I enjoy their music but for me, it's definitely all about the show. There are really only a few albums that I generally enjoy all the way through (KISS, Destroyer, and to a certain extent, Love Gun) but their live shows are definitely top-notch. I don't care if people call it cheesy or whatever but they're fun to go to and the music is pretty good (in the context of the show). Outside of the show, I've become less-inclined to listen to them. Although I do love all of the Alive albums but again, that goes more towards the show aspect. But I still enjoy them.

doesn't matter really, I like them, and that is all that really matters to me.

I never care what critics say, i like what sounds good to me, nothing else matters at all. I don't like the music by Kiss for the same reason you probably don't like Pink Floyd, if i hear Kiss on the radio, their songs do absolutely nothing for me and i want to change the station. I'm just not a fan of that type of 80's hair band music anymore and even when i briefly was into bands like Motley Crue, i couldn't get into the sound of Kiss.

With that said, you're correct, who cares if other people don't like what you like. One of my all time favorite bands is Bauhaus. If i was in say a bar and played a cd by them, my guess is most in the place would be thinking, what the hell is this crap. Of well, sounds great to me.

In KISS' defense, they were not really 80s' hair metal (well maybe some of their stuff from that era sounded like it). All of their good stuff comes from the late 70s and doesn't sound 80s hair metal.

I guess you're correct there rawbecht. The 70's Kiss certainly wasn't that incredibly weak stuff like say Poison , Dokken, Cinderella, or Warrant, probably shouldn't have lumped Kiss in that grouping.

I actually grew up hearing Kiss quite a bit. I used to be very close to my cousin as a kid and until my mid-teens when he moved. My cousin was a big fan of Kiss so i'd hear it when i was at his house. I'd never yell for him to please turn it off, more the music was just kinda there for me. You know how if someone around you is playing a full cd by a band you're not a fan of, you never really even notice one song ending and another one starting? It ends up sounding like one 45-60 minute long bland boring song to you. That's Kiss in a nutshell for me. No big hate, just a big yawn.

Now if it was a hair band like Dokken or Warrant, i'd have to ask, please for my sanity, turn this off.

so sad there are so many un-enlightened music fans around here eh?

I know that was sarcastic, but here's my take:

If there's one thing I've learned about this site, it's that almost everybody has different musical tastes than I do. I read all of these discussions about music and half the time, I'm in the dark. I have listened to a lot of these popular bands/individuals who get lots of love around here, and I just don't get it--then again, I'm a metal head so I shouldn't.

I won't tell someone their favorite band sucks, because I'm sure they think the same of mine. I've done some defending of my music in threads gone by, but like I said, I've just grown to accept that the tastes of this board differ greatly from mine.

I'm sure I'll irritate many with my choices, but that's what this thread is for.

1) Anything by Rush. Fine music, but Getty Lee sing like a cat that got his testicles caught on the fence he was jumping. Getty always hits the note he was looking for, along with every other note in a 2 octave range around it.

2) 'Give it Away' by the Red Hot Chill Peppers - so irritating, I can't even stand Weird Al's Bedrock Anthem.

3) 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' - Nirvana. The only thing good about this stinker is Weird Al's 'Smells like Nirvana'. Can't stand how most of the 90's music was copying this abysmal grunge crap that Nirvana ushered in.

Archived