Brewer Fanatic

Francisco Cordero Press Conference with Reds

TheBrewer

Just a few tidbits from the press conference, the first one is pretty funny

- The guy at the podium in the beggining of the press conference says "Were here to announce the signing of All Star Pitcher Francisco Cordoba" Yea he said his name wrong. Jez. (He later apoligized about 10min later) (same guy later made a corny joke about calling him Francisco Cordoba later)- really sad all of that

-Why the Reds? "Dusty Baker called me, everyone really wanted me to come over here and be a Red"

-Did Dusty and Wayne Krivnsky have an influence on you coming here? "Yea, they showed me and they told me they dont wana rebuild the team, they wana put a winning team together here" "Were going to compete, and we wana go to the World Series". "Wants to be on a team with Dusty

-Didnt really say much else, not to many questions, very small and short.

Well we know Dusty will run him out there at every available opportunity, lol.

That's pretty sad they mispronounced his name.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

The Reds really aren't that bad. SI just had them as one of the teams who could go from a losing record to the playoffs next year.

They have Dunn, Griffey, Hamilton & Jay Bruce in the outfield.

They have Votto and Phillips on the infield.

And they have Harang and Arroyo in the rotation - along with Homer Bailey.

If Bailey turns out for real, they should be right in the division race with the Brewers. The Reds could very well win more games over the next 4 years than the Brewers.

So I guess the Brewers should have fired Ned and hired Dusty instead.

Perhaps -- there would be some merit in doing so. This site is not terribly objective about Dusty Baker, while I am not a big Dusty fan, I am not sure what Yost has done to assume that he is better.

One thing though I am sure of, Dusty is much more liked by the players than Yost (as evidenced by that players' poll someone posted here). I certainly wouldn't fault Cordero for wanting to take a incrementally better deal to play with a manager he likes (more).

I guess if I had to chose between a bad manager that doesn't get along with his players, and a bad manager than players really like -- I would go with the latter, especially if it helps land better players rendering said manager's impact less measurable.

The Reds could very well win more games over the next 4 years than the Brewers.

The Reds won more games than the Brewers in the 2nd half of 2007 -- I would not be at all surprised to see the Reds eclipse the Brewers in 2008. Especially when you consider that they were the 2nd best team in the NL in August last year, while giving up the most runs -- replacing Saarloos with Cordero, has to get them a couple of more wins. As JB12 points out they still have some holes, but so do the Brewers.

The Cordero deal has been called lunacy by many -- and perhaps that is correct, especially when you focus on 2010, 2011 -- I think though for 2008, Cordero will earn his $11.5M paycheck.

Which of course stands in stark contrast to the detached and objective positions members have taken regarding Ned Yost.

I hear you -- although Ned while having extreme haters, also has extreme enthusiasts on this site. Dusty on the other hand pretty much just gets shredded by everyone, without mercy, sort of like the woodchipper scence in Fargo.

The Reds won more games than the Brewers in the 2nd half of 2007 -- I would not be at all surprised to see the Reds eclipse the Brewers in 2008. Especially when you consider that they were the 2nd best team in the NL in August last year, while giving up the most runs -- replacing Saarloos with Cordero, has to get them a couple of more wins. As JB12 points out they still have some holes, but so do the Brewers.

I would be surprised if the Reds surpassed the Brewers next year. They really don't have much depth at the back end of their rotation and if the Brewers get Riske or Herges the pens are about the same. If they get both combined with the surplus starters adding depth to the pen I'd have to think the Brewers would have the better of it. While the Reds did finish stronger than the Brewers ultimately the Brewers did finish with more wins which means they have further to go to overtake the Brewers. Some of that could be attributed to the change in managers but since they have a differant manager once again I don't see how that makes a huge differance. If the Reds get a little lucky injury wise and the Brewers don't they could do it. If the normal amount of injuries occur for each team I just don't see how the Reds could absorb the losses as well as the Brewers. Ballpark benefits aside I think the Brewers have the better offense overall and probably a better bench.

As far as Coco's comments about the manager I'd take that with a grain of salt. He's never played for Baker to know one way or the other if they will mesh and he certainly isn't going to say anything other than what he did at the press conference introducing him for the first time.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

There are several big 'ifs' with the Reds. One is if Dusty will wear out the front of the rotation. Arroyo and Harang have averaged 219 and 229 IP the last three years and Dusty is not well known as one who coddles his starters (heck he may throw Bailey out there for 240 ala Mark Prior).

My feeling is that they better make the playoffs in '08 otherwise they will have a tough go of it with Dunn and Griffey leaving and their starters arms hanging by a ligament.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They really don't have much depth at the back end of their rotation and if the Brewers get Riske or Herges the pens are about the same.

Herges is pretty unspectacular -- I think Riske would be about the same as Weathers, I really don't see the Brewers having any sort of answer to Cordero with regard to the Reds, in fact I think that the Brewers have the worst BP in MLB (as it stands today), and one guy like Riske isn't going to bump it up that much, if we got Nathan+Riske, then I would probably be more inclined to agree with you.

Please remember that the Reds traded Lohse to Philly for Matt Maloney, and if he or Homer Bailey -- or even Johnny Cueto stick -- that would propel the Reds past the Brewers

back end of Cappy/Bush/Vargas... Of course none of this is a given -- I am just saying it appears to me that the Reds are closing the gap, especially if guys like Votto and Keppinger are able to contribute,

He's never played for Baker to know one way or the other if they will mesh and he certainly isn't going to say anything other than what he did at the press conference introducing him for the first time.

Well -- He certainly could know that he doesn't like Yost -- and I don't think that there is any question that Baker has a pretty good reputation among the players.

I think Riske would be about the same as Weathers
Not really. Riske is 7 years younger and has a career ERA almost a point lower than Weathers. Riske pretty much has better numbers across the board vs Weathers including over the last three years.

Please remember that the Reds traded Lohse to Philly for Matt Maloney, and if he or Homer Bailey -- or even Johnny Cueto stick -- that would propel the Reds past the Brewers

back end of Cappy/Bush/Vargas... Of course none of this is a given -- I am just saying it appears to me that the Reds are closing the gap, especially if guys like Votto and Keppinger are able to contribute,

If everything goes right for the Reds and not the Brewers you may be right. When does everything ever pan out like that though. I think there is more certainty with the Brewers pitching rotation because not everyone has to be as good as hoped to be a well rounded rotation.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I had watched this last night, and that "Francisco Cordova" introduction -- the former Pirates pitcher, not the rich corinthian leather, sorry -- was an incredibly awkward moment.

Not one person in the media mentioned the Brewers, in fact, there were about three questions total -- it was all pretty bad, although Francisco handled himself well.

Video Still Available on Reds Home Page

Archived