Brewer Fanatic

Twins acquire Delmon Young for Garza

trwi7

Young character is a concern but not anywhere near as much a concern as Dukes' character concerns. Not even close. Great trade for the Twins. They get the best player in the trade. They gave up Garza but they have plenty of pitching depth to cover for the loss.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I guess the Rays are keeping Crawford?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Twins have needed power since about 1885, this is an excellent move for them in that regard. I like TB adding more pitching, that certainly makes sense.

I would imagine this has taken Crawford off the table for sure, and I wonder what else the Twins have in mind now.

I kind of like it for the Rays, personally. While I think Young could be a stud, The 2 other parts seal it for me. Bartlett started to come on last year and plays some great D, Rincon is their best reliever hands down. Garza slots in as their 3 starter with potential for more. The Rays could roll out Shields, Kazmir, Garza, Sonnastine, Price, Niemann, etc. With the surplus of OF's in Tampa it makes sense for them. Not saying the Twins lose out. I think they get a good 2nd baseman and Young. I wonder if this is a prelude to Santana and Nathan going out of town, and completely rebuilding with 2010 in mind.

I like this trade a lot for both teams. You don't often see young players traded for one another.

And the other players involved also seem to be a trade of perceived extras to fill the other teams perceived holes. I look forward to hearing someone with a Twins fans perspective break this down to figure out who plays where. Does Young go to LF with Cuddyer in RF? Is Pridie the favorite to open '08 in CF? How does the IF shake out with Punto and Casilla yet seemingly one open spot between 2B, SS and 3B? I like the middle of the Twins order with Young, Cuddyer, Mauer and Morneau, which will give them a nice L-R-L-R balance, as Young should offer more protection for whoever he's hitting behind than Torii Hunter.

I forgot to mention how much pitching depth this continues to give the Rays. In addition to the names mentioned, Jacob McGee and Wade Davis aren't that far away either, and are two of the best pitching prospects in all of baseball.

Great points Colby, I forgot about McGee and Davis. I know there were a few rumblings about Kazmir possibly being available earlier this off season, I wonder if those whispers grow a little louder with the increased pitching depth

Twins took Jason Pridie in last year's Rule 5 draft, but ended up returning to the Rays.

I like the acquisition of Young for the Twins and think he is more of a sure thing than Garza. But although Rincon was declining, I don't know enough about Pridie, and Bartlett for Harris seems like a bit of a downgrade. Punto, Harris, and Casilla needs another bat, so I hope they aren't done with their infield. I wonder if they try Young in CF? He played a bit there last year.

I look forward to hearing someone with a Twins fans perspective break this down to figure out who plays where. Does Young go to LF with Cuddyer in RF? Is Pridie the favorite to open '08 in CF? How does the IF shake out with Punto and Casilla yet seemingly one open spot between 2B, SS and 3B? I like the middle of the Twins order with Young, Cuddyer, Mauer and Morneau, which will give them a nice L-R-L-R balance, as Young should offer more protection for whoever he's hitting behind than Torii Hunter.

Cuddyer is a good RF with a good arm, though he'd be a good LF also. I suspect they'll keep Young in RF, where he's comfortable. He and Pridie are more or less their only CF options unless you're the world's biggest Jason Tyner fan. It'll also allow them to DH Kubel full time, which will be good for his knees. So if Pridie makes the team as a starter, it should be Cuddyer-Pridie-Young left to right. If Pridie doesn't make the team, it'll be Kubel-Young-Cuddyer.

And Gardenhire was squawking on about Casilla needing more time in the minors all last season, so my guess is that Punto will be a starter somewhere. Another option would be to have Cuddyer move back to 3B and start Kubel in LF.

Thanks Toby, that's kind of what I was thinking, as I think Kubel makes more sense to DH keeping Cuddyer in RF, as he hasn't played 3B for a couple of years now (at least I don't think he has).

I bring this up because it seems as though the Twins now have a need for an infielder or two, although I suppose Harris could assume one of those positions (most likely 2B since the Rays wouldn't have been looking for a SS if they felt Harris could have played there).

They were using Brian Buscher at the end of last season at third base... they seem sort of enamored with him, but I don't think he's anything permanent for them there. I've been harping about sending Gwynn there in a deal, as they overvalue his type of play, but now Bill Hall would make more sense, as they'd just put him at third if they didn't need him in the OF. I think Cuddyer could handle third physically, but he's obviously not the guy they want there, or hasn't been anyway. While the OF looks potentially nice, an IF of Busher-Harris-Punto-Morneau is pretty ugly, even with Morneau.

That is a great deal for the Twins. It reminds me of the discussion on Brewerfan a while back about whether or not we would trade Prince for Zach Duke. While pitching prospects can be tempting a hitter is more of a sure thing. Look at Duke now vs. Fielder. This would be a great deal for Twins. They even get Brendan Harris!

I think this just pushes them to deal Santana and Nathan and go all out to rebuild so they can contend soon after opening the new stadium. Young is a great young player. While Garza looks like a good one, I don't think he's going to be a #1. If they can land either Hughes or Buchholz, they'll have a good 1-2 combo in Hughes/Buchholz and Liriano (assuming he comes back strong.) A middle of the order with Mauer/Young/Morneau/Cuddyer is pretty solid as well. I think a pitching for position player trade has been needed for awhile but Ryan never wanted to give away a good young pitcher with potential. I like it from the Twins perspective but the Rays send from a position of surplus for a position of need. Kazmir/Shields/Garza is a solid start to a rotation.

Archived