Brewer Fanatic

Greatest Band of All Time

homer
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I thought about the Beatles but I keep thinking they were more right time right place kind of guys than anything. Really good songwriters but not especially talented musicians. Strictly my opinion of course.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Booker T. And The MGs

Not really for their commercial output itself. Which is impressive on its own. But considering that they were the house band for Stax/Volt records. They were the musicians behind nearly every song recorded for that label from 1961-1968 (Otis Redding, Eddie Floyd, Carla Thomas, etc.) They also were the band behind the Atlantic recordings for Sam & Dave and Wilson Picket. Each member Steve Cropper-Guitar, Donald "Duck" Dunn-Bass, Al Jackson Jr.-Drums, & Booker T. Jones-Organ/Electric Piano are all considered one of the greatest at the instruments that they play. The Beatles wanted to record Revolver at Stax and greeted the MGs during the Stax/Volt Revue in Europe '67. When friends ask me to put together my "Fantasy Band" I always tell them that I don't have to. Booker T. And The MGs already existed.

Beatles

This is the band that saved rock & roll in February, 1964. It's hard to imagine what music would be like if these boys had not made it to the United States. Like them or not, no one can deny the influence they have had on any musician that came after them. It's hard to find anyone who has made such a difference in culture and such an enormous song output in such a short time span. Especially when you consider the microscope they were under. They weren't the greatest musicians. They were however great pop songwriters, extremely charismatic, and great band. After the fall of the great 50s musicians (Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc.) the Beatles were exactly what America needed. They were the right band at the right time.

Chuck Berry

Not a band, but a particular style and sound. His sound IS the foundation of rock & roll. If a musician does not know to play his songs, that musician does not know rock & roll. He is a great guitarist, and a great storyteller. All his songs are classics. Chuck Berry is Rock & Roll

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Teatoe - Can you narrow it down to one?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Wasn't a fan at the time but became one about 20 years ago. The Beatles.

At the time I was into the music Teatoe mentioned, good ole soul.

I agree The Beatles were helped somewhat by the right time thing, but there were a ton of other groups that didn't do much with it so it goes far beyond that IMO.

Archived