Brewer Fanatic

Greatest Band of All Time

homer
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The reason I brought this up in the first place is I was driving across the midwest the other day and happened to have XM radio in my rental car. I came across a channel devoted entirely to Led Zeppelin. Needless to say I rocked out. But it got me thinking that you'd have to be pretty huge to have a whole XM channel devoted to you (I'm sure there are other bands that have their own channels) so it got me thinking about the greatest band ever and what that would mean.

To me, 'greatest' has several components:

In no certain order:

1) longevity - how long did you last and how long did you make good music?

2) influence - did the band set a trend?

3) musicianship - how talented are the musicians/songwriters?

4) general popularity - top ten hits, album sales, etc.

Sticking with those principles, would you change your vote?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"I think it is important as well for a band to evolve a little as time progresses as well. Be able to play music in different genres. "

True but I think to some extent that if they can't do that it affects their longevity.....although the Eagles are still making records so what do I know?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Feel free to update this list accordingly...I vote Pearl Jam

Led Zepplin (4)

The Grateful Dead

Pink Floyd (5)

Rolling Stones (2)

The Beatles (2)

Jethro Tull (2)

Nirvana

Jimi Hendrix Experience

KISS (2)

The Clash

U2

The Band

Beastie Boys

Radiohead

The Allman Brothers

AC/DC

Black Sabbath

Pearl Jam

Just cut and paste this list. If the band you like is on there, that means they have one vote, if they have a number next to their name, that means they have more than one. If you see your band, tell us who you are voting for then update the list via cut-and-paste. If your band isnt on there, add it to the bottom. Cool?

Rush.

Led Zeppelin (4)

The Grateful Dead

Pink Floyd (5)

Rolling Stones (2)

The Beatles (2)

Jethro Tull (2)

Nirvana

Jimi Hendrix Experience

KISS (2)

The Clash

U2

The Band

Beastie Boys

Radiohead

The Allman Brothers

AC/DC

Black Sabbath

Pearl Jam

The Eagles

Rush

1) longevity - how long did you last and how long did you make good music?
2) influence - did the band set a trend?
3) musicianship - how talented are the musicians/songwriters?
4) general popularity - top ten hits, album sales, etc.

Based on this I'd like to change my vote to The New Kids On..... no, still The Clash for me.

For me, the greatest and most influential band of all time consisted of Bill Black, Scotty Moore, DJ Fontana and Elvis Presley. For the sake of the poll you can put down The Blue Moon Boys if you like. If Hendrix and his Experience can get in, then the band that shaped Rock and Roll can get in also.

Archived