Brewer Fanatic

Santana and the Red Sox (or stupid trade idea from Pioneer Press)

RyDogg66

I was up in Barron today for depositions. I arrived about 45 minutes early so walked across the street to Susie's Cafe for a cup of coffee and some eggs. I picked up the paper, the St. Paul Pioneer Press, and saw an article from some writer about what to do with Santana. He basically said it was common sense and was wondering what the Twins and Sox were waiting for.

He basically said, call Theo, ask Theo "do you want to be great for years to come?" Well, I dont want to trade Santana, but I HAVE to because we wont pay him. So I'll send you Johan Santana, Joe Nathan and (best part) Carlos Silva for Jonathon Papelbon, Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia and either Jon Lester or Clay Bucholtz.

He then goes on to say that Theo would balk at that, but that the Twins would simply have to threaten to call the Yankees....

I think he ended it with wondering why this deal hasnt been done yet.

I promptly choked on my coffee, slapped down six bucks and left.

Oof. Off to find the link.

By the way RD, how did my poker WD advice work out?

Hey it worked great Al, but man, it takes forever for that first payment to clear on Epassporte, thanks.

Here is the link Al.

http://www.twincities.com/dailydose/ci_7566304?nclick_check=1

EDIT - Also, it was Lester AND Bucholtz, not one or the other.

I think the writer was a "Sansevere"??

I do think Santana ends up on the Yankees or Red Sox, but not for an insane package of prospects.

There are only a few teams that can afford Santana which lessens the Twins bargaining position somewhat. Whatever team that trades for him will have to pay Santana a boatload of cash. I question if whoever trades for Santana will be willing to give up tons of cheap young high potential talent just for the right to pay Santana 125-150 million dollars.

Even as great as Santana is, his next contract will be a sizable risk given he's a pitcher. It's almost like asking, if Santana was a free agent, will you be willing to give him 150 million along with having to forfeit a couple of your best prospects?

Most trades for big names usually involve signing an extention. Look at Gary Sheffield last year or Randy Johnson last year. To get a player to waive his no-trade cla]use and throw his lifestyle into a complete upheaval, you have to grease the wheel. As for the Sox, I think Coco and Lester, with Brandon Moss, maybe, would be the ceiling. The world knows the Twins are hamstrung here.

Good thing they threw in Silva to make this happen. Otherwise, Theo might have called this one off.

I wonder, if they do make this deal, if we could deal them Jenkins and Coco Cordero for Joe Mauer. I think we could toss in Sarfate to make it work if we have to.

I kept waiting for the big punchline while reading that article..and it never materialized. The Twins would have to somehow include the naming rights to their new ballpark and Adrian Peterson in that deal to make it remotely close to fair.

If the rumor is true that the Mets would consider dealing Reyes in a deal for Santana, can you turn that down? I don't know how. The problem with that is they've already dealt Garza so their rotation would be abysmal if they don't get back a top notch pitcher in a Santana trade. Tough call. I'd probably still make the deal for the young sure thing in Reyes rather than taking back lesser players (quality over quantity). I've heard the Red Sox will only offer one of Buchholz/Lester/Ellsbury, the Yanks won't offer Chamberlain or Cano, and the Angels don't want to give up Adenhart or Wood. In that scenario, you almost have to take Reyes back and worry about the rotation after the fact IMO.

Archived