Brewer Fanatic

Street as our closer?

Weirdos19

I'll admit I have a Parra bias since I've had the chance to talk with him a few times. I would hate for the Brewers to trade Parra, but if the deal made sense I'd understand. I don't know if Parra and Gwynn gets it done. I'm guessing a Hall and Parra deal might get it done?

I think the whole trading for a closer (one that would merit some prospects) vs. paying Cordero a little more (I know the Brewers may not have had the chance to up their offer) is a huge item in my mind. I have a feeling the Brewers might go with a closer from within or a Percival type.

No way do you trade both Hall and Parra for Street. My original post said Hall or Parra and Gwynn.

Street isn't quite worth what it would take to get Chad Cordero, given Street's injury history. Plus, the Nats always want way too much for any of their players.

I would say Hall and a pitching prospect might get it done.

Streets is still yound and proven closer. He has has some injury problems wich is a little worrisome since our ace seems to also end up being hurt some part of the season lately.

Street would be a nice addition. Most teams don't need outfielders though. it would probably cost the brewers a top MLB ready pitching prospect such as parra or Villenueava. Street is a proven commodity, but an injury risk. Parra could be an outstanding pitcher. but he also has an injury history.

I will at least give Buster Olney credit. Acquiring Street would be a logical move for the brewers. and it's a lot better rumor than many he's thought of.

No way do you trade both Hall and Parra for Street. My original post said Hall or Parra and Gwynn.

Street isn't quite worth what it would take to get Chad Cordero, given Street's injury history. Plus, the Nats always want way too much for any of their players.

I understand you stated Parra and Gwynn. I just think that doesn't complete the deal. Parra does have an injury history that isn't that favorable (although I think he'll be fine). I just feel that Oakland would laugh at a Parra and Gwynn trade. I may be wrong, but that's just my take. I don't see Gwynn as a guy that most teams want and Parra has injury history.

I'm not saying the Brewers would do Hall and Parra for Street, but I'm think it'll take some good assets from the Brewers side to get him. They would say yes to Hall and Parra in my opinion and I used Hall because you mentioned him in your post. Sorry for any confusion.

I think I'd rather try Parra out as a closer before trading he and Hall for Street

Me too. Parra's a lefty SP with quicker fastball and more pitches than Street. A power lefty SP with a good curve, decent changeup and slider, is quite rare. It's very likely that Parra's value will go up much higher in the next couple years if he continues to stay healthy.

I think Parra might be my favorite closer candidate for next season - more than any of the old never-were's we've been throwing around. Maybe its better to just have him in the Villanueva/Marmol role so Yost doesn't leave him on the bench when we need him most.

I hate it when I have a thought to post at the beginning of the thread and then find out someone else has posted it before I get to the end of the thread.

In other words: I completely agree with dadofandrew. Oakland wouldn't want Hall for Street. If they trade Street, it's part of an effort to go into rebuilding mode, and Hall would not fit into that plan. Parra might. Gwynn, I'm not so sure about.

Beane wants 0-3 guys if he does tear it down and rebuilds, not a guy making millions. OAK has severe financial limitations, if they could pay Hall, they could keep Street.

Not necessarily. Oakland hasn't had an expensive closer since Eck. He deals his closers before they are expensive.

Plus, if they are in the financial situation we are in, we won't pay a closer big money. Both teams will spend, just not on closers. But, we do pay big money in other positions. Sheets and Suppan make that kind of money. Eric Chavez makes big money.

Although, Street won't be a free agent for 3 years.

Parra at the back of the pen in a closer or set up role is an interesting thought. I'd love to have a righty and lefty set up man. Since Parra has had arm issues I wonder how this would effect him. If he's a guy that takes longer to warm up, needs days to recover, etc. then he's obviously more suited to remain a starter. But, maybe the lighter workload would be good for his arm?

I definitely think he has the stuff, he can run it up there in the mid 90s especially if he knows he's only going one inning. It will surely be an interesting winter and spring to see what happens with this surplus of fringe/end of the rotation type guys and holes in the pen.

Archived