Brewer Fanatic

What is Prior worth?

Me thinks he's worth about nothing, particularly to the Crew. seems to me the worst-case scenario is we pay him $4 million to sit on the DL all year. Best-case is we trade a decent prospect for an ok year out of Prior, then watch him walk as a Plan B FA.

one of the problems with Prior is that he's an injury risk with a huge salary. With most injury risks, you'd rather sign them to a minor league contract or an incentive laden one. Unfortunately, Prior already has a contract that can't be changed. Prior is high ceiling , but also high risk. If the brewers were to trade for him, what role would he fill? Closer? long reliever? Starter?

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Prior's latest injury to say if he's worth the risk. Prior has basically been on the disabled list / rehab for both 2006 and 2007. he also experienced injuries that shortened his seasons in both 2004 and 2005. That means his last full season was 2003. then again Sheets' last full season was 2004 and people think he'll be an ace next year.

But theoretically if a team did want him, wouldn't trading for him assure you of a relatively low risk one year contract if it went to arby? That way the team that trades for him wouldn't have to outbid anyone for his services. You give up a low prospect or role player for someone for the small chance he stays healthy for a year and returns to dominance. Guess I answered my own "what is he worth question." He's probably worth more in the MLB market place, but I guess not in my book.

Is that how it would work in Prior's case? If he gets non tendered is he then a FA?

if he gets non-tendered... we can pitch the angle of, come to milwaukee and make your comeback here against the Cubs several times a year.

Not that he would make the roster (he is throwing in the high 80's last I saw), but the upside is/was there.

in reading the article, Prior wants the Cubs to give him a long term extension. that's the only reason they are even thinking of trading him. if the brewers were to trade for Prior, he'd still want a long term contract.

As a GM, with prior's injury history, it would be very hard for me to give prior the long term deal he is seeking before next season starts. and if he does have a good year, and you wait until the end of it to offer Prior that long year deal , it will be too late. he'll be demanding mega bucks.

I think the risk is too high. Obviously the Cubs would want somebody in return that would be equal to prior's value when healthy. they are not just going to give him away for somebody like gross or Capuano.

I seriously can not imagine how on earth he thinks hes gonna or should warant getting a multi year contract. how about a multi year minor league contract. Im sure he obviously feels he's worth something, and based on his past experience he thinks he warrants something, but a multi year deal comon.

The only thing I can logically think of is this: Prior really deep down inside thinks his arm is shot and he's never gonna be able pitch much again or effectively, so he wants to get his future shored up on a multi year contract now before teams discover he actually isn't worth anything at all. If he really believes he can come back and be successful in whatever role, then he would want to re-establish himself on a 1yr deal, so next year at this time he can get a bigger payday on a multiyear. Now if he goes with a multi year now, he's pretty much trumping his shot at any significant salary in the near future since it's a multi year deal.

Id really like to hear some thoughts about that with some replys to that. I mean what else could he be thinking? I'm thinking he just wants to scam a team and get as much as he can now before his career is over.

Prior is worth slightly less than other pitchers with a 85 MPH fastball IMO. A lot of guys with that type of fastball got where they were because of their offspeed stuff and location. They have mastered how to pitch. Prior relied on a 95 mph fastball and never needed to learn to do what it takes to pitch without an effective, hard fastball. If he can learn to do it I would suspect it would take more than a year to do so.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

He'd need to be a free agent for me to be interested. I'd love to see him brought in on a very low-risk with huge incentives deal. Offering him a chance to really sink ($500K for being DL'd all year) or swim ($10MM if he meets IP or GS benchmarks with a guaranteed $10MM option) would be the best way to go about it, but you never see a split like that in the real world.

Archived