Brewer Fanatic

Glendon Rusch.. comeback time?

Oh man. Glendon Rusch? Really? He's had 1 season in his last 6 that would even be worthwhile on the roster. We can already free Villanueva up for the rotation. We could plug any of Bush, Vargas, or Parra into the long relief role and be better off than we would with Rusch. Talent is fine in the long relief role if they're producing. Villanueva was absolutely crucial to our first half success last year. When he started faltering, so did the team.

I wouldn't want a healthy Rusch, let alone one coming off an injury. Signing him would be just about all but admitting that we're taking a step back in 2008. No thanks.

Hey, how many Brewers pitchers have a walk off hit in the 14th (or was it the 12th?).

Eh, sounds like a Melvin scrap heap pick. If he's cheap, he may be worth the invite to see what he has. If he doesn't pan out he can be sent to the Dave Burba rest home.

I don't see a problem with signing him to a minor league deal. I think as it's proved in the past...stock the AAA team with guys who could help out. Nashville doesn't seem to be getting a ton of prospects who need PT this year, so stash as many minor league deals with former big leaguers you want. This was my main point for getting Scotty Po in Nashville. There won't be a ton of young elite talent on the team for 2008 with the roster as it stands.

It was the 14th. And it was a walkoff bunt, mind you.

i remember that, i was at that game, bunted it all the way over the 2nd baseman's head, but i don't remember who it was against, houston?

thats who it was against. I was at that game too. When he first bunted it, I thought it was going to be caught.

We could plug any of Bush, Vargas, or Parra into the long relief role and be better off than we would with Rusch. Talent is fine in the long relief role if they're producing.
When I mentioned long relief, I wasn't refering to the ability to pitch two innings in a close game. I am talking about a pitcher to eat 3 innings when we are down 9-2 in the 5th.

So Bush, Vargas or Parra would be an absolute waste in that situation.

I think one of Ned's failures last year in managing the pen was not waiving the white flap and putting out a sacrificial lamb of a pitcher. I would like to see a Helling type pitcher again this year to eat those innings when the game it out of hand. Save your best pitchers for games that matter.

• 4 months later...

Archived