Brewer Fanatic

top 5 memorable games( in your mind ) you have attended and why

MadisonBrewerBlue
"5. Last but not least, Hank Aaron's 754th (that's right number 754), a pinch hit walk off HR to beat Texas. Hank described it in his book as one of his most

memorable and it was. Fans waited and cheered what seemed like hours for Hank to come back out for a bow. "

That was my first Brewer game ever.. (1st of 400 plus games) I even remember the beer being spilled on me..

I have too many to list..

1981 Clinching game vs the Tigers

1982 Playoffs and World Series

1982 vs Balt (don't remember the day, but there was a rain delay and Rick Dempsey did a Robin Yount Imatation to the chants of MVP) - might have been 83

1987 Easter Sunday

Yount's 3000 Hit

1978 Guidry's 1st Loss (Hisle hit 2 hr's with theYankee Killer Caldwell pitching) (I love when the Brewers play the Yankees)

Last Game at County Stadium..

The only big games I really wanted to see that I missed was the night Molitor's streak ended and Bill Hall's Mother Day home run.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Sheets 18 K game

2. Home opener, 2005 - Branyan's two massive bombs.

3. Sexson's first game as a Brewer (2000 vs. Colorado) - He didn't do anything special, but D'Amico was dealing and he hit a HR.

4. The "Balk-Off"

5. Braun's first home game

Mixed together:

- Yount's 3000th Hit

- 1990 Wisconsin Hockey Championship game in Detroit.

- The first no-hitter thrown against the Brewers. It was thrown by KC and it was my first ever Brewer game.

- Jenkins' near home run cycle. He just needed the Grand Slam and he was up with the bases juiced -- and they pitched to him!!!!!

- A Brewer game in 2006 during the first week against Arizona. It was the first time me, my wife, and our four children attended a game at the same time.

Last game at county stadium

Opening day (1998 I think) I had the flu but toughed out 5 innings before I called it quits. They also delayed the game due to people throwing their complemtary ball on the field. Matheney hit a grand slam but I was getting some hot chocolate. A pipe broke about 10 rows away from us & sprayed about 40 people. Oh the memories.

Rickie Weeks first hit.

In no real order:

The Verlander No Hitter--Even though it was against the brewers, how often do you get to see one of those?

September 25th, 1992, Brewers vs Red Sox. My First Brewers game ever.

Prince/Rickie's first HR game.

Last 3 home openers-They all make my list. Who doesn't enjoy opening day?

Any game at Wrigley the last 3 years. Every game i've been to, we've won, so they are all very memorable.

Non-baseball:

2005 UW/Michigan game

Packers vs Seahawks playoff game-the INT happened right infront of me, greatest game i have been to.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

no order:

Moeller cycle (Hall 2-run walkoff)

Hall suicide squeeze to cap the biggest comeback in Brewer history

June 25, 2005- both kids notch their first MLB homer in the same game

The game this year when Prince hit a go ahead HR in the bottom of the 8th and then Hart robbed a game tying HR in the 9th right in front of me. The wildest I've ever seen a home crowd at The Keg.

Jenkins final game as a Brewer when he was pulled in the 9th. Don't remember ever getting wet eyes at a game before that.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Forgot another one I remeber was Ryan Brauns first game after being called up from Nashville. It was memorial day may 28th which is also my birthday. I don't remember much from that day with all the drinking I did but I do remember Braun looked good.

In no order...

Opening Day 2001--first regular season game at Miller Park

All Star Game at Miller Park

A game vs. the Expos a couple years ago where the Brewers were down 5-0 in the bottom of the 9th, tied it, and won on a Wes Helms HR in 14.

Paul Molitor's return to Milwaukee as a Blue Jay (then as a Twin)

The game on the day Greg Vaughn got traded. He was in the line up, then he wasn't. The Brewers played the Mariners and A-Rod was a rookie. He, Junior, and Jay Buhner all hit 2 home runs.

Non-Brewer games...

The Ron Dayne game

Badger hoops vs. Illinois to win the Big 10

An Admiral game where there were 3 bench clearing brawls

UW hockey vs. Minnesota in 1999 (the same weekend as the Ron Dayne Game)

UW football beating #1 Ohio State.

Most memorable games:

-- Sheets' 18-strikeout game

-- Bill Hall suicide squeeze

-- Comeback from 9-run deficit vs. Cincinnatti

-- Chris Saenz' 3 hours of fame

-- One day, I just happened to be driving through Albuquerque, NM with my little sister (who we call "Hot Dog"), and we stopped at the stadium there to get a t-shirt. The Albuquerque Isotopes just happened to be playing the Nashville Sounds that day, so of course we stayed for the game. My sis was asked to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," standing atop the opposing dugout, and after the game Corey Hart signed a ball for her (and he signed it "Hot Dog -- Best of luck"). He's been her favorite player ever since. (You can join her "Corey Hart Fans" group on Facebook. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif)

Least memorable game:

-- Opening day, 2004: The drunkest I've ever been. I remember very little of this game, and most of what I do remember occurred with me leaning over a toilet. My apologies if you needed to get in there to take a crap that day.

The game on the day Greg Vaughn got traded. He was in the line up, then he wasn't. The Brewers played the Mariners and A-Rod was a rookie. He, Junior, and Jay Buhner all hit 2 home runs.

I was at this one. Didn't remember the 2-HR trivia, or even who we played, for that matter. All I remember is the PA guy announcing that Vaughn had been traded, and what the deal was. Man was I pissed.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewers Games:

Corey Hart's first MLB HR

I have always liked him since he first came up, and was so glad he *finally* hit that bomb.

The A-Ram walkoff last summer at Wrigley. I took my (almost) 60 year old dad to the game, he'd never been to Wrigley.

I hadn't seen him move as fast as he did to get on the train after the game in years. We must've been on the train within 3 minutes of the game being over.

The 5-hr in an inning game. That was crazy.

A couple personal memories, The game Nelson Cruz got his first MLB hit. I was in the RF bleachers, and he came out to RF after he'd singled off 2b. I shouted down, "Congrats, Nelson, hope you get a lot more." He looked up at me, smiled, and tossed his warmup ball up to me and my friends. I was immediately tacked from behind by about a 300lb guy who ended up getting the ball. I ended up with a giant bruise on my back.

Memorial Day this year. (The Aquino/Pence game). Went with my parents, and a bunch of their friends. I knew my Mom had been watching games, but I wasn't ready for this. She'd apparently become a complete and total Brewers fan (and baseball conisseur) during the season, and she got my baseball-geek ear for an hour to ask me about everything. I loved it.

Non-baseball:

I saw all 3 ties during the Barry Alvarez era. Went to 1 game a year, 3 years in a row. A tie each time.

Michael Finley's first big 10 college game. I turned to my dad and his friends and said "He's gonna be all-time kinda good." after I saw him go up and dunk on someone. They laughed.

Finley vs Glenn Robinson at the old barn in Madison. Don't remember how many points they both scores, pretty sure it was 35+ each in an overtime game. That was just amazing to me.

Badgers beating Glenn Rice and Michigan at the Field House. I was 11 at the time. Was my first game I'd ever gone to. Michigan won the title that year, too.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

In no particular order.

1981- Second half clincher. Was in Box 36 when Simmons jumped into Fingers arms.
1981- Divisional playoff- Game when Charlie Moore threw out Reggie at third.
1982- ALCS- Was 10 years old. Was interviewed by channel 6 during game.
1982- World Series Day Game- Dad got me out of school to go.
Opening Night at Miller Park

My top five...

-Yount's 3000th hit...I was fortunate enough to go to that entire series and see hits 2998-3000 in person

-First game at Miller Park (worked it as a vendor)

-2002 ASG (ditto)

-Last game at County Stadium

-I don't even remember the year, but it was around 1986 or 1987. The Brewers got into a huge brawl with the Twins after Jim Gantner took exception to Steve Lombardozzi's slide into second base. I was only about 4 or 5 and it was easily the coolest thing I'd ever seen at a sporting event.

Honorable mention...

-Chad Moeller hits for the cycle vs. the Reds

-Jim Gantner's last career HR...it was a walk-off shot to beat the Red Sox in the 13th inning...in the first game of a doubleheader. I remember the ball bouncing in the little "moat" that they had between the outfield wall and the bleacher section, that's how little it cleared the wall by. I also remember being completely stunned that Gumby had actually hit a home run.

Non-Brewers...

-I went to one playoff game in each of the three series the Bucks played in 2001...all three of them were incredible. The Bradley Center was so loud. I remember game 2 of the Charlotte series. The Hornets had a shot to win the game with about three seconds left, and either Ervin Johnson or Scott Williams batted the loose ball rebound high in the air as time expired. The place was so loud that you literally could not hear the buzzer.

-A Packers/Giants game at Lambeau a few years ago. The Packers lost, but it was my first game at Lambeau, I was in the fourth row, and it was the game where Favre was knocked out with a concussion. It was surreal to see him leave the field with a concussion, literally sneak back on the field for one play, and throw a TD pass on that play before they forced him off for the rest of the game.

1. The game in the first year of Miller Park where Jenkins hit three homers and then hit two more the next day. I was at the three homer day. That game was my first at Miller Park and it was against the Orioles. Ben Sheets pitched for us and pitched well. I also remember watching Vladimir Guerrero warming up before the game and showing off his arm. The guy threw the ball all the way across the field on a rope. The guy has a heck of an arm.

2. When I was young my parents took my brother and me to a game at County Stadium. I remember Greg Vaughn hit a big homer. The ball went pretty far.

3. A Cardinals/Pirates game at Busch Stadium three years ago. The game itself wasn't too special. The atmosphere was great and everybody loved Reggie Sanders. He's always been such a classy guy.

4. Rangers/Royals game at Kauffman three years ago. That place is a nice place to go to a game. I like the stadium. My first time there. Now if only the Royals would give their fans a team worth cheering.

5. Twins/White Sox at the Metrodome - Santana vs Garcia. Both had no hitters going into the seventh. It was a great game. If this wasn't at the Metrodome this would be ranked #3. I won't miss that place.

I only get to 2 or 3 games a year, but have been lucky to get some good ones.

1. Weeks/Fielder 1st HR's vs. Twins

2. Fielder's first at-bat at Miller Park

3. Nolan Ryan's 300th win

4. 2nd game at Miller Park, couldn't get opening day tix

5. Sheets SO vs. Dodgers opening day 2007

6. Last Packer game at County (Favre diving TD to win vs. Falcons)

7. Antonio Freeman's crazy catch vs. Vikings MNF a few years back at Lambeau

-Jim Gantner's last career HR...it was a walk-off shot to beat the Red Sox in the 13th inning...in the first game of a doubleheader. I remember the ball bouncing in the little "moat" that they had between the outfield wall and the bleacher section, that's how little it cleared the wall by. I also remember being completely stunned that Gumby had actually hit a home run.
I was at that game too! The first game took something like 4 hours then the next game was only like 2 hours. There was a pigeon that sat on a wire and didn't move for both games. Uecker even mentioned the bird on the radio.

In no particular order, ones that really are important to me:

- The game in '91 at MN when Paul Molitor hit for the cycle against Kevin Tapani and also stole home - first time I'd seen either. (Also saw Ryne Sandberg hit for the cycle at Wrigley against SF, but was indifferent to the outcome.)

- Odell Jones' near perfect game/no hitter against Cleveland in late May or early June of '88. Indians 3B Coach Johnny Goryl is a family friend. I stayed with his family that weekend and I sat with the guy charting pitches in the front row behind home plate. Final was a 2-hitter and a 2-0 Brewers win. If you ever see the footage, I'm the guy in the bright yellow Summerfest t-shirt.

- The doubleheader against Toronto years back when Steve Woodard outdueled Roger Clemens, 1-0, in his debut (darn that Otis Nixon and his leadoff hit in the 1st), then in game 2 the Brewers turned their first triple play since '79. Brewers swept the DH, I believe.

- A pretty bonkers game in St. Louis that was very slow to begin with (3-2 after 6 or something) but the Brewers won in a slugfest. Someone on St. Louis hit a grand slam, then Darren Jackson countered with a grand slam of his own and the Brewers hung on to win.

- "THE" Kirby Puckett game in '87 at County Stadium when Viola pitched, Kirby went 6-for-6 with 2 homers and stole a grand slam away from Robin going over the CF wall. Got Kirby's autograph on the back of my glove along with Greg Brock, Ray Burris, and a bunch of other guys who never mattered either. Still have the glove, but no longer any traces of any signatures anymore. (I was also at Kirby's other 6-hit game, a day game against Texas the Twins lost because Ruben Sierra hit a couple homers and the Twins had no pitching that day.)

- Game 7, 1991 World Series, Jack Morris' 10-inning shutout and Gene Larkin's series-clinching hit. No, I'm not kidding. Upper deck, left field, just inside the foul "pole"/net thing.

- I almost skipped band that Wednesday and would've seen Scott Erickson no-hit the Brewers. Instead I went the next night and saw the Brewers hit 4 or 5 homers (2 by Mieske, at least one by Jaha, I think) and kill the Twins. I think the score was 10-2. That also reminds of watching a game from lower LF (the home run porch, it's now called) at the Dome when Jaha took a low & outside pitch and pulled the thing outta there to deep left center. It landed pretty close to me. Very, very impressive power!

- The season-ender in about '95, which was Darryl Hamilton's last game as a Brewer, I think, and Bill Wegman's last game ever. Wegman didn't even pitch, but he played the top of the 9th as the RF. Caught some batting gloves down by the dugout from a scrub so-called prospect catcher named Mike Matheny. Most of Garner's early years magic was about entirely gone, but it was a cool atmosphere at County Stadium that day.

- Whatever otherwise crummy season opener it was (Cubs, maybe? -- one of the last at County Stadium because Miller Park was going up beyond the CF fence) that the Brewers lost but turned their only triple play since that Woodard/Clemens Blue Jay DH that I also was at.

- July 4th, 2006, Dodgers at Rockies. Dodgers won in 11 painfully slow innings. The memorable thing was taking my 150-kid marching band out onto the outfield to perform just before the SSB was sung. Because of a 25-minute rain delay, the kids got to play in front of a totally packed house of over 48,000. Very cool.

- The last home game ever of the Minnesota North Stars. $50 for scalpers tickets. Normally you could get student rush tickets for $8 and end up about anywhere.

- Playing the National Anthem 3 times for the Twins and 5 times for the Timberwolves with my brass quintet.

And other noteworthy ones I don't have much personal attachment to:

- Not that I was ever too attached to him, but I was at Gorman's last game before he was traded to Cleveland in '83. It was a Sunday. Monday was an off day. Trade was Tuesday. The whole reason I talked my parents into taking us was because they were giving away commemorative batting helmets (sponsored by RC Cola) that were white with an AL Champs deal around the ball-glove logo.

- The game in late Sept. '83 against Baltimore (a Sunday, I think) when Baltimore clinched the AL East title. Tippy Martinez closed it out. I hated the Orioles. Geez they were good. But at least I got to see in person a division-clinching celebration by someone.

- Carl Yastrzemski's last game in Milwaukee. Also saw Tom Seaver (White Sox), Gaylord Perry (Mariners, I think), and Tommy John, among others, pitch against the Crew. Never did get to see Larry Hisle play.

More may come to mind, which I'll then add to this list. This sure was a fun diversion tonight.

Badgers beating Glenn Rice and Michigan at the Field House. I was 11 at the time. Was my first game I'd ever gone to. Michigan won the title that year, too.

I was at this game as well -- It seems to me that they beat Illinois in a short span either before or after that game, as Illinois was just as good as Michigan.

then Hart robbed a game tying HR in the 9th right in front of me

Wow, Robin19, I guess that would have been right in front of you. Too bad you didn't have a camera at hand.

- The game in late Sept. '83 against Baltimore (a Sunday, I think) when Baltimore clinched the AL East title.

This was the first Brewers game I ever attended. We got the tickets way in advance and were certain (at the time) that this would be another big showdown game that would determine the division champ. I guess we were partly right.

- "THE" Kirby Puckett game in '87 at County Stadium when Viola pitched, Kirby went 6-for-6 with 2 homers and stole a grand slam away from Robin going over the CF wall.

I was at this game too, with a couple of people from my library, including a Twins fan. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif I was also at the above-cited doubleheader vs. Toronto, though I was en route to the restroom and did not get a complete view of the triple play.

This is the kind of thread that pops up annually or so, but I never get tired of the stories.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

1) 2001 World Series Games 1, 6, 7. Had 5th row seats and completely lost my voice for a week after game seven.

2) 1982 World Series Game 3. Had 3rd row bleacher seats, Brewers lost, Willie McGee homered and made the leaping catch right in front of me (I'm in Sports Illustrated's photo), caught a ball during BP.

3) No hitter by Jose Jimenez in 1999. It was my wife's 2nd or 3rd game ever at Bank One Ballpark.

4) Opening Day March 31, 1998 at Bank One Ballpark. First D-Backs game.

5) Home Opener April 6, 2001 at Miller Park.

6) 1999 Sweet Sixteen. Gonzaga vs. Florida, Connecticut vs. Iowa, Gonzaga vs. Connecticut. Three Great basketball games down in Phoenix.

There are many others, but I limited it to these 5 baseball games and one non-baseball event.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Lest I forget one other Badger Basketball game:

There was a game where Minnesota was ranked #1 or #2 and was playing the Badgers at the Fieldhouse (back in '89 or '90?). Badgers were down one with something like 1.5 seconds to go. Portmann inbounds the ball to Thompkins under the basket who kisses it off the glass for the win. Everybody rushed the floor. It was euphoric.

Archived