Brewer Fanatic

Is Milwaukee a desirable location to Free Agents?

twobrewers

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1993/0315_large.jpg

That's the Reggie SI cover. I remember when he signed, how big of a shock it was to the national media.

As for Milwaukee being a prime destination. Its about $$. If we offer Coco 50m for 4 years, he comes back.

Of course, DM (smartly) did not do this.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about money first. Then comes the competitive team factor. A player signs a 5 year contract with the Yankees or Red Sox and he is pretty sure his team will be competitive for the length of the contract. Sign with the Brewers or other small/medium market team and there's no guarantee the team won't cut their losses in a season or two and slash payroll.

Finally, for some players, it comes down to a City's profile in the rest of the country. Play in New York and you're a star. Play in Milwaukee and well, um, why would you do that? If you're looking for action, like having the focus on you, want the endorsements, want to be a STAR(!), then you head to Boston, New York, LA, Chicago.

Sports is all about ego. Believing in yourself, believing you can be the best, being on top, No. 1, all that.

Fear The Chorizo wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's not start jumping to far-fetched conclusions and assume that Estrada was the reason Braun couldn't field, Turnbow became a mental midget, and Yost mismanaged his paper-thin bullpen last year. I'm glad Estrada's gone, but he wasn't the sole reason for everything wrong with the Brewers in 07.

No, but if he wasn't getting along with the starters I think it is reasonable to think that may have contributed to shorter starts and more work for the pen. Not anywhere near our biggest problem though.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The answer is unfortunately no. At least not yet.

Dollars will always talk but lets face reality here. We are never going to outbid anyone for the Santana's, A-Rod etc. In the middle of the pack free agents we are an option. At the top end no. What we have become though is someone to bid up the final price. That's why Schilling mentioned us and if we had offered a lot more than Boston he likely would have signed here.

Hopefully this will change as the years go by. We weren't even a real option for the middle of the pack guys a few years back. We could only attract the washed up, done guys then.

Jason Kendall said this was very desireable place for him on the dlist today. Why? The team has a chance to win, he knows he coming to a place where they know baseball and play it the right way. How does Kendall feel that way? When he started with Pittsburgh, Dale Sveum was on the team, Jack Z was in the front office and Ted Simmons was the GM. They are all good baseball men.

So is Milwaukee a good destination? It appears to a player who wants good baseball men.

Archived