Brewer Fanatic

Bullpen

wcswimmer712

Hmmm, after looking at Bush's splits, he gets creamed the first time hitters face him, and is much better the second time through the order. This would seem to counteract his ability to close. I just don't get him. He had the best K/BB ratio in the league in 2006, and the third best in 2007. How has he not put together an all-star season yet? The only one of his peripherals that is bad is HR/9. Maybe we should keep him as the fifth starter then and have Parra stay in the bullpen for a bit.

I also checked Vargas' stats, and they, too are horrible the first time through the order. I dunno anymore. I hope we don't sign more than one free-agent to fill a bullpen spot, though. Relief pitching is so inconsistent. I'd rather put McClung in there than sign someone like Herges. It would be good to have a veteran as a closer, simply because I think they are better able to mentally deal with the position. There is no way I would put Turnbow there. Sign Riske, make him your closer, and spend the rest of your resources freed up by Jenkins, Cordero and Koskie leaving to add a somewhat decent bat to LF or 3B.

My bullpen, if I slotted Bush in the #5 spot in the rotation would be:

CL - Riske (or any other veteran)

SU - Turnbow

RP - Shouse

RP - Mota

RP - Parra

RP - Wise

RP - McClung

RP - Vargas

I like McClung's stuff, and I think next year will be the year he puts it together. If not, there is about five other guys who could fill in for him. Other than a veteran to anchor it, spending money on a bullpen is not wise.

1 Sheets

2 Gallardo

3 Villanueva

4 Suppan

5 Capuano

Long relief

6 Parra

7 Bush or Vargas

LOOGYs -

8 Shouse

9 Stetter

10 Turnbow (I'd love to trade him for anyone else)

11 Mota (See #10)

12 Some guy that isn't on the team yet. Hopefully Fuentes.

I think Parra will have Villanueva's role of this past year... it'll be the perfect way to set him up for a rotation spot in 09. Either Dave Bush or Claudio Vargas will be traded, I think. Possibly Capuano, but I think he's less likely than the other two guys.

I forgot about McClung. Man do we have a lot of mediocre to less-than-mediocre bullpen pitchers right now. Not good.

Man do we have a lot of mediocre to less-than-mediocre bullpen pitchers right now. Not good.

My thoughts exactly. Clearly, the bullpen was a source of concern last season, and it's gotten worse with the departures of Cordero and Linebrink. Neither one of those guys was infallible, by any stretch of the imagination, but I generally felt reasonably confident when they came in to pitch. Mota, Turnbow, and TBA don't exactly give me the same sense.

Archived