Brewer Fanatic

Turnbow new closer according to Melvin...sorry, this sucks!

TURBO

http://gdx.mlb.com/images/gameday/mugshots/mlb/276913.jpg
Barring any major moves, Derrick Turnbow will become the Brewers' new closer with Francisco Cordero set to join Cincinnati.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/wsfb/images/logos/41x47_cap_mil.jpg Brewers general manager Doug Melvin doesn't see any more attractive closers on the free agent market and does not believe any clubs would be willing to trade away an established closer. "Turnbow has done it before," Melvin said, referring to the right-hander's 63 saves from 2005-06. "Some fans may not want to hear it, but Turnbow did some positive things last year. He had a higher percentage of scoreless innings than Francisco did. His strikeouts per innings pitched was as good as Francisco. His batting average against was better than Francisco's. The only thing that hurt him were the walks." Free passes not only hurt Turnbow this past season (6.09 BB/9, 4.63 ERA), they nearly cost him a trip to the Minors. His control will need to improve dramatically next year if he's avoid losing the closer job again.

The Reds agreed to a four-year, $46 million contract with former Brewers closer Francisco Cordero on Friday. It comes with a $12 million club option for the 2012 season and a $1 million buyout. The signing is pending a physical next week.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/wsfb/images/logos/41x47_cap_mil.jpg Generally, pitchers get knocked around at hitter-friendly Great American Ball Park. But Cordero threw so well last year, it's hard to envision him regressing all that much anywhere. This past season, he averaged 12.22 strikeouts per nine innings, fanned nearly five times the amount of batters he walked and surrendered just four home runs over 63 1/3 innings -- excellent indicators to say the least. Sure, nailing down 44 saves again won't be easy pitching at the back of Cincinnati's shaky staff. But it would be foolish to regard Cordero as doomed just because he'll face greater challenges with the Reds. He remains a Top 10 closer, and his signing bumps David Weathers from closer to setup man.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

i'm not happy about this, but then again its december so a change could easily occur.

hauser42 wrote:

I agree that this is only Dec and there is a lot of stuff that can happen till opening day.

I also agree that it is december... jk http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I disagree that it is December. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I might be alone here, but I'd be ok with D-Bow as the closer IF more quality depth is added in the pen. I'd rather have options out there than one expensive closer at the end, we might never get to him if the middle relief stinks(sound familiar?). I really am not worried about having one set closer so it doesn't bother me as much that he shouldn't go back to back days. When there are back to back days with save oppurtunities you use someone else who is throwing well. I don't really care about one guy piling up all the saves.

The issue with Mota, as with Turnbow, is control rather than velocity. It doesn't matter if you can throw 800 MPH if you can't locate the zone. I don't think our closer in 2008 will be anyone we currently have on the roster. If it is, oof.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Melvin is looking for a power pitcher which is why I brought his name up. Besides Turnbow and Mota, McClung's name has also been brought up. Due to the fact he is a power pitcher.

I really don't care if the pitcher can throw 99 or 85, if he gets the job done I'm happy.

Turnbow as the closer doesn't bother me as long as we have somebody better than him on the roster. The closer doesn't pitch the most important innings anyway so it is a waste to put your best reliever in as the closer.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

nOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I really believe in what an earlier poster mentioned in that this is GM speak. What else is he going to say? Currently, he may be the best option.

There seem to be 2 things that many seem people believe about closers.

1. Our best reliever should be the closer

2. Closers are not used in situations that make the best use of them

If you believe #2 then why would you believe #1? I look back at the first half of last year and believe that Villanueva was our most important pitcher. He even came in and bailed out Turnbow in at least one situation last year. Why would we want to limit our best reliever to certain situations? Low leverage situations in many cases. Wouldn't we be better off with either our 2nd or 3rd best reliever as the closer? Trunbow is horrible some of the times out, but he is almost unhittable most of the time.

I blame Wang.

Great post logan. It seems, when faced with the chance to maximize the overemphasis placed on the 'position' of closer, that a team should jump at the chance, a la Cleveland w/ Borowski. I personally wouldn't have much of a problem with TBow as our closer in '08. It plays to his strength as it allows him to come into most games with the bases empty. Where it'd get tricky is the notion that you 'have to have a closer' & he 'has to work the ends of games.'

There were numerous instances in 2007 when CoCo helped bail the Crew out by working a 4-out save. Turnbow will likely not be effective in that role, but who knows for sure. I don't know for sure where I fall in regards to your two numeric points, but I know I disagree with #1, and that if we can have a superior reliever to TBow in 2008, I'd gladly have that other RP not 'close' games.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I've expressed my thoughts on Turnbow many times. He's got a $10 million arm and a 10 cent head. Besides when he was successful as a closer, he routinely hit 97-98 on the gun. Last year he was mostly 94-96. He doesn't quite overpower guys with his fastball anymore like he did in 05. He needs that breaking pitch which he can't control under pressure.

Though these comments worry me, I ask myself why would Melvin be willing to break the bank to the tune of $42 million for Cordero if he thought Turnbow was an acceptable alternative. Wasn't the whole effort to get Cordero an indication that he had no confidence in anyone else?

Though these comments worry me, I ask myself why would Melvin be willing to break the bank to the tune of $42 million for Cordero if he thought Turnbow was an acceptable alternative. Wasn't the whole effort to get Cordero an indication that he had no confidence in anyone else?

Depth maybe? I think you really should have 4-5 pretty good relievers if you want to contend.

I blame Wang.

Cleveland had an excellent bullpen to set up Borowski.

THAT is the rub. With an otherwise outstanding bullpen, who cares if Turnbow or McClung or Mota or Bush or Vargas... is the closer.

With an otherwise sketchy bullpen, you better have a closer you can count on.

Archived