Brewer Fanatic

Doug Melvin on WSSP

brewcrew00

You got me SoCal, I have always been a fan of Sanders, or at least I have the past several years, as he has filled a key corner OF spot for some pretty good teams. Although his career has been oddly consistent in the fact that he has been pretty solid in odd years and not-so-solid in even-numbered years. Check his career numbers if you don't believe me:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sandere02.shtml

So he has two things going against him for next year: He'll be 40 and it's an even-numbered year.

As for him retiring, he did play in KC the past two years, I don't see why he would be opposed to giving it one more shot with a potential playoff team to go out on a high(er) note.

Keeping Mench around might be an easier/wiser move though.

I sense something in the works for Melvin, as his comments and approach to the bullpen situation just seems a little too lackadasical for it not to be GM-speak.

I agree. I don't think he sees the future in the bullpen of any of our surplus starters, he sees them as trade chips to get the bullpen arms we need.

Hall needs to stay in CF so that we can see if he improves from last year. Hart is a slight upgrade over Hall maybe but with Braun in LF we would have another guy trying to learn a spot. This does not take into consideration that Hall is at best an average 3B with the D and he would be below average with the bat unless he proves that two years ago was not a fluke.

No one would should be suprised that Braun would move to the OF for the team. He is a kid that has stated he just loves playing baseball and wants to bring Milwaukee a winner. From what I have scene and read of him he is not prima dona.

Hall needs to stay in CF so that we can see if he improves from last year.

Why should we even chance it at this point to see if Hall improves next year? If we know that Bruan is athletic and can potentially make the change, why wait and cost our team runs?

Hart is a slight upgrade over Hall maybe but with Braun in LF we would have another guy trying to learn a spot.

Hart was +13 plays in the outfield this year, while Hall was between 0 and -10. Thats a pretty sizable upgrade.

This does not take into consideration that Hall is at best an average 3B

Last year at short Hall was +18 plays, and short is generally considered a harder position to field. Meanwhile, Braun was -41 plays at third.

Sure, we can expect marginal improvement from both these guys. Heck, they could both turn out to be fantastic fielders. But IMO, whats best for the team now is moving Braun to left or right and Hall to 3rd. This could literally help save the team 1-3 wins in a year. Whether we platoon Gross with a mystery lefty masher, or pickup a solid corner outfielder, my guess is both would be short term, thus clearing up an outfield space for Laporta when he's ready.

Hart was +13 plays in the outfield this year, while Hall was between 0 and -10. Thats a pretty sizable upgrade.

It's only fair to note that by the end of the season - his first ever as an outfielder - Hall showed significant strides. I think he'll be closer to (if not) average in the field in 2008, and much improved with the bat. Having that forecast - average to slightly below D, with plus offense for the position - is enough to make me feel good about Hall in CF. If we move Hart from RF, where are we going to find the production to make that spot even league-average?

For me, right now we have one hole to fill, and that's LF (/3B - whatever option works best). Better to concentrate on that (with the given that Braun could slide there & we bring in a 3B) than worry about Hall's next position change, or moving a very good RF away from RF.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Ir true that would be sweet. He's the kind of guy I hoped Melvin would target. Not a great but dependable veteran who could be well above average on any given year with a reasonablely low amount of risk that he'll completely melt down. Thanks AL my day is brighter.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Glad I could help BC, and, don't forget, Ramblings is drug free!

Patrick, he's never been a strikeout guy, more of a sinker/slider type. I'm the first to say 38 is mighty old, because I'm 38. That said, his "type" usually ages well, and we're not talking $10M here, I'd guess $2.5M per.

al, I am fine with giving Herges say a 2 year 5 million contract. He has been pretty consistent in his career, minus 1 season. I still think Riske is the better choice. I was just pointing out his age. I really didn't know until today that he was as old as he was since he has only been in the league for 8 seasons.

Al - your blog really brought up a name Id LOVE to see the brewers attempt to acquire as I think he has all star closer written all over him. That guy being Anthony Reyes. Obviously I could never see the Crew and the Cards making a deal so its unlikely but it was a name that really sparked an interest.

I think Braun has the athletic ability to play centerfield. Move hall to 3rd. Hart in right. then Laporta in Left.

I politely disagree. If Hall si moved to 3rd, I'd put Hart in CF. He has OF experience and has played CF. I think putting Braun in CF could negate moving Hall to 3B in some ways (I'd imagine it's a big learning curve in CF compared to LF or RF).

I just dont think its a good idea to move Braun at this point. His defense was a pretty big improvement and if I am not mistaken, wasnt he a SS his whole life prior to 2005? He is still somewhat new to the idea of the hot corner. His arm is a cannon which is the only reason I would like to see him in the OF, but thats also a reason he could someday make an amazing 3rd baseman. He had alot of bad plays but I remember his share of great plays.

David Wright sucked at 3b in 2005 lets not forget.

I love this site but Braun is still so new to 3rd base that we should not be considering moving him. If he is taking 1000 GB a day like Ned asked him to.......or even half that.....he is going to come back a heck of a 3rd baseman. Lets not screw with the kid. He is going to be something really special.

You don't "reserve" a player you think is better than a starter, just to give you a stronger bench. that would be grossly unwise.

Why would you want an 80 year old oft injuried OF for $3-4 M a year who hits lefties well when we have a non-injury prone young OF who kills lefties already on the team for the same price?

If we're not going to sign an every day LF I can't imagine signing a guy to platoon when we already have the pieces in place to do it.

I assume your talking about Joe Dillon. I dont want Dillon as a part of a platoon. I think he is too valuble as a body who can move around the diamond giving players valuble days off. I am not discounting what Dillon does, I just simply think that Joe Dillon the platoon guy is more valuble than Joe Dillon your every day player. I also think that players like him off the bench late in the ballgame are priceless.

I dunno about Herges. I know he seemed pretty solid last year, but he wasn't exactly a world-beater in '04, '05, and '06, and he's going to be 38 in April. FWIW, if you look at his "compare stats" column at Baseball-Reference.com, one of the names listed is . . . Guillermo Mota.

You don't "reserve" a player you think is better than a starter, just to give you a stronger bench. that would be grossly unwise.

No, you factor in his versatility defensively, and recognize that the small sample from 2007 is likely not a good indicator of what he may produce moving forward.

Dillon PH + Super-sub > Dillon as RH portion of LF platoon.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This is sort of off topic, but it is funny how so many people(myself included) forget we still have Mench on our roster and under our control next year. I just say this because he makes a good RH bat in a platoon.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived