Brewer Fanatic

Doug Melvin on WSSP

brewcrew00

I'll just do a quick overview here of what Melvin said this afternoon on Gary and Cliff...

• Thought the had a competitive offer in on Cordero, seemed as if he felt disappointed Coco choose the worse team for just a few more dollars. Also Melvin said he felt they didn't even get a chance to up their initial offer as Cordero's camp sat on it for almost nine days
  • Made a serious multi-year offer for Kerry Wood. Brewers were in his top three as Wood's wife is a Chicagoan. Melvin also thought that by Kerry accepting the Cubs one year deal to stay in Chicago showed character.
  • Interested in Percival, not sure about durability.
  • Will put in a serious and legitimate offer to Octavio Dotel.
  • Thinks closers are demanding far too much money right now, GM's are put in a corner to pay the closer what the asking price is because you can't win without one.
  • Right now Turnbow is the lead candidate to replace Coco.
  • Turnbow never said he was considering asking for a trade after the season, he went to DM right away and told him he never said that, and wasn't sure where the JS came up with that information. He loves Milwaukee, and wants to stay and be part of the future
  • No news on a LF, however if a serious 3b option comes available, Braun will move to LF. (He wants to as does the organization)

I thought Melvin was pretty insightful as to what was going on, he didn't really avoid any questions. I don't think I missed anything, but feel free to add anyone.

No news on a LF, however if a serious 3b option comes available, Braun will move to LF. (He wants to as does the organization)

Did he say Braun wants to move to LF? Or is willing to move if a 3B comes along? I don't think I've heard anything about Braun wanting to move.

I believe Melvin and Braun have made comments about him moving. They both seem willing if they find a 3B. I'll be surprised if Braun actually wants to do it, but like it's been stated - he is willing.

As much as I want Braun to stay at 3B, it's good to hear he's willing and if they find another 3B I'd be ok with it.

No news on a LF, however if a serious 3b option comes available, Braun will move to LF. (He wants to as does the organization)

Ugh, why is it that Doug isn't seriously considering moving Hall to third and Bruan to left? To me, it's a no brainer. Braun won't hurt the defense nearly as much in left, a much easier postion, Hart has proved he can play center, and Hall can play above average infield defense. It doesn't make sense that Melvin wouldn't be doing this. I'm sure Bruan will see some marginal improvement, but its for the better of the team to make those switches.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Dotel is a risk worth exploring. I hope they are smart about it and offer plenty of incentives to the contract.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think Dotel is a risk worth exploring. I hope they are smart about it and offer plenty of incentives to the contract.

For sure, he has nasty stuff. However, my guess is that the serious and legitimate offer that some team makes that lands Dotel is of the multi-year variety, which I think is too risky. He hasn't stayed healthy since '04, so you're pretty much getting into Percival territory as far as durability goes. The upside is obviously better, though.

Dotel hasnt pitched more than 40 innings in a few years I dont think.

Id love to have him, but id want him to have to fight for the closer position. Lets just get some competition in here with a bunch of good guys now that Cocos money is out there.

odds are, Braun's offensive numbers might take a dip with a position change...

I hate the fact that we assume anyone can be turned into an outfielder. Just because Yount was able to do it, doesn't mean that anyone can...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Maybe I'm just rationalizing here, but right now I think that when it comes to the bullpen, they might well be better off with two $5M guys, or a $6M and a $4M, than they would be with Cordero at $10+M. Cordero is reliable, and he's one of the few guys I'd consider spending big closer bucks on, but the risk of that contract is considerable...four year big money deals for relievers are scary. Of course signing two lesser talents, say Dotel and a middle reliever, would also carry a lot of risk, but the risk is distributed somewhat. The responses above from the radio show are thus reassuring to me...a fear I have right now is that Melvin overreacts and does a Krivsky-esque deal for Chad Cordero or something. That's not to say that I think Chief's terrible (I like the guy and remember his Fullerton days)...just that he's overrated in part due to his pitcher-friendly home park (he already is prone to the long ball), and that the Nats will be asking for the moon for him.

Dotel was a name I was going to bring up a week ago, I know, yeah right http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif, as he has the type of power arm that Melvin likes, but his name has never been brought up in connection with the Brewers, including last season.

Dotel is coming off injuries and he seems to be a level below the top closers. He blew 9 out of 45 saves in 2004 and 4 out of 15 a year ago. However, other than Gagne, he's probably the next best closer available on the free agent market. For the right deal, I think he'd be a good sign. The key for me would really be the amount of years rather then the amount of money. I'm sure they'll have to pay him more than people would like, but if it's a 2 or possible 3 year deal...I would rather just have it be a one year deal, but it would probably need to be a 2 year with an option for 3 or just a straight 3 year deal for Dotel to sign.

Brian Anderson also basically said the same thing this morning about Turnbow that his comments were taken out of context. If Turnbow personally spoke to Melvin to assure him that he likes being in Milwaukee, that's good enough for me.

I dont want to move Braun. I still think he will be a good 3baseman.

As far as LF, I dont want to see anything drastic. If I cant have Lastings Milledge, then for me, my dream LF is a platoon of Gabe Gross and Reggie Sanders. Sanders never gets real discussion on this board, perhaps because of his age, but he can still get it done vs left handed hitters.

Gross - Sanders the ticket for 2008. He would only cost a fraction of the Cordero money and the rest of it can be put into guys like Dotel and maybe either Percivel or Hawkins. I really believe we lost more games the last few years with our bad relievers than we won with our good ones. I dont want to see the years where we cringe whenever Ned makes a call to the BP. Lets make his decisions "cant lose" decisions.

Ugh, why is it that Doug isn't seriously considering moving Hall to third and Bruan to left? To me, it's a no brainer. Braun won't hurt the defense nearly as much in left, a much easier postion, Hart has proved he can play center, and Hall can play above average infield defense. It doesn't make sense that Melvin wouldn't be doing this. I'm sure Bruan will see some marginal improvement, but its for the better of the team to make those switches.

Hall needs to stay in CF so that we can see if he improves from last year. Hart is a slight upgrade over Hall maybe but with Braun in LF we would have another guy trying to learn a spot. This does not take into consideration that Hall is at best an average 3B with the D and he would be below average with the bat unless he proves that two years ago was not a fluke.

No one would should be suprised that Braun would move to the OF for the team. He is a kid that has stated he just loves playing baseball and wants to bring Milwaukee a winner. From what I have scene and read of him he is not prima dona.

Dotel missed quite a bit of time even last season due to injuries. He's already 34, he's never really been considered a legit closer and he hasn't had a full season since 2004.

I agree with aracko in that I would want a guy like Dotel to have to fight for the closer's role should he be signed. He could be a very astute pick-up for the right price, but that's a lot to be riding on for a player who would be counted on to serve an incredibly important role on the 2008 team.

I sense something in the works for Melvin, as his comments and approach to the bullpen situation just seems a little too lackadasical for it not to be GM-speak.

I hate the fact that we assume anyone can be turned into an outfielder. Just because Yount was able to do it, doesn't mean that anyone can...

I don't think the assumption here is that anyone who's a really good infielder can become a really good outfielder. Rather, it's the hope that someone who's a very good athlete but hurts you in the infield will be able to hurt you much less in the OF. Corey Hart would probably be a better comp, though he's faster than Braun and also reportedly played a solid first base. I wouldn't expect Braun to become Hart in the OF, but I think his skills at least merit taking the chance that he can be adequate.

Why would you want an 80 year old oft injuried OF for $3-4 M a year who hits lefties well when we have a non-injury prone young OF who kills lefties already on the team for the same price?

If we're not going to sign an every day LF I can't imagine signing a guy to platoon when we already have the pieces in place to do it.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Why would you want an 80 year old oft injuried OF for $3-4 M a year who hits lefties well when we have a non-injury prone young OF who kills lefties already on the team for the same price?

If we're not going to sign an every day LF I can't imagine signing a guy to platoon when we already have the pieces in place to do it.

I assume your talking about Joe Dillon. I dont want Dillon as a part of a platoon. I think he is too valuble as a body who can move around the diamond giving players valuble days off. I am not discounting what Dillon does, I just simply think that Joe Dillon the platoon guy is more valuble than Joe Dillon your every day player. I also think that players like him off the bench late in the ballgame are priceless.

I hate the fact that we assume anyone can be turned into an outfielder.

If that were the case, I'd expect that Prince or Overbay might have spent some time in left field, as some posters here proposed. Apparently the Brewers' optimism about position switches does have its limits...

B: when we have a non-injury prone young OF who kills lefties already on the team for the same price?

A: ...I assume your talking about Joe Dillon.

I'd have guessed Kevin Mench, who is likely to be about the price of the previously-mentioned Sanders, and does indeed crush lefties.

Well I cant really argue that. I guess Mench does crush LHP. I guess maybe I have a bit of a old stale "mancrush" (for lack of a better word) on Reggie Sanders for many many years now. Perhaps its time I get over it. He isnt the young kid on the Reds anymore. Honestly, unless Sanders gets an offer to play in SF or Oakland, or the Dodgers or Angels, I think he is pretty much retired.

I sense something in the works for Melvin, as his comments and approach to the bullpen situation just seems a little too lackadasical for it not to be GM-speak.

This was my first reaction upon reading the thread/interview recap. Something is afoot.

I love the pursuit of Wood, and I like Melvin not going silent on CoCo's decision. C'mon, Doug, back up your words this offseason with action!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sanders is one of those guys who's been a great free-agent bargain year after year, and while he often seems an afterthought, he's usually put up good value and even outhit some of the more publicized free agents in any given year. colbyjack among others have argued for picking him up several times in the last few years IIRC. Sadly, I think his string might have come to an end.

Archived