Brewer Fanatic

Brewers "garage sale?"

Shootkick1000

I may very well be way off on this. Feel free to put me in my place if I am.

I (think I) remember reading something about the brewers having something of a yearly "Garage sale" (not actually in a garage), akin to how the Packers have a yearly sale at Lambeau involving some surplus player items like cleats, jerseys, equipment, clothing, and a few other less actually-play-related items.

Is this true? When or where does this take place if it does?

You're not way off. Brewers Charities has a rummage sale periodically.

I asked our ticket rep about this earlier in the month. He said he hadn't heard anything about a sale before the holidays, but would let me know if he did. Since then, I've periodically checked brewers.com and have yet to see evidence of a holiday sale.

I suppose they might scale back to an annual sale in April, in conjunction with the On Deck event. That'd be too bad - I was hoping to incorporate a sale into my holiday shopping, and based on last year's turnout, they'd likely get plenty of business.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

but all the good stuff will be gone early friday.
Exactly. Why start it on a Friday? Do they realize that some people have jobs and school and things like that?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

For what it's worth, we arrived late-morning Saturday last year, and while I obviously could not see what had been sold by then, I didn't feel like there was only crap left. (OK, I was looking for a Doug Davis jersey, but there was plenty of other merchandise left.)

Then again, last year the Friday of the Friday-Saturday sale was snowy, if I recall correctly.

The S.O. and I have each got Friday off and while we almost certainly won't be there at 9:00, we do intend to visit that day.

Hawing, you are right there was a huge storm that friday night. I went there on Saturday morning and found that there was a lot of stuff there. It depends what you are going for, there will probably be alot of hats, jersey tshirts, and that kind of stuff if you didn't buy enough during the season (i am not in that category). The game used jersey's and bats may be scooped up early, but are on the expensive side for current brewers.

Never been to this garage sale what exactly do they have on sale?

Is it just game used stuff or do they sell anything from Miller Park like signs, banners or chairs?

That would be real cool. I would make the trip Friday for that kind of stuff.

Zach, there's been stuff like that some years. I remember one in 2003 where they sold signage from the all-star events. I believe I've seen County Stadium chairs before (though you'd think they'd have increasingly few of those).

Last December, besides the game used clothing/bats, there were jersey tees for departed or thought-to-be-departed players (I remember seeing Graffanino shirts last year - whoops - but also Carlos Lee), surplus promotional items (I don't remember bobbleheads, but some kid promotions like lunchboxes, kid batting helmets, 3-ring binders), and oddball gifty things (we bought an outdoor thermometer with the ball glove logo for a relative's Christmas gift). There was a stack of lineup cards from various Miller Park-era dates; I suppose that's "game used" too.

There also tend to be surplus old publications - last year I scored a 2006 Brewers yearbook and some programs (bigger ones, from the years before Gamedays) for $1 each.

I know I have an item/price list from the December '03 sale at home somewhere. If I think of it before Friday, I'll look for it. We've been to several of these and have always found something of interest at them.

they will have the 2007 brewers ornament. I believe they usually have food so you can have a stadium hotdog if you need a fix after not having one at miller park for almost 3 months. Some of the jerseys they have are awesome, and if they weren't 100-200 dollars, id buy one. I almost got a joe winkelsas one last year. Even if i don't buy anything, i go just to see be at the stadium for a few minutes.

I've gone to the Brewers On Deck thing a couple times and while they do have some neat stuff... the game used merchandise is generally cracked bats and jerseys for old nobodies from the Brewers.

Are there more "star" player items at this sale?

Any idea what the crowds are like?

Any idea on the prices of this stuff vs. the prices on things at the Brewers On Deck thing before the season?

there aren't discounts on hats, jersey shirts for players expected to be on the team, and team shirts. Jersey's for ex-brewers are 100-200. Game used Jersey's for Sheets, Prince, Braun can run 1000+. Really the only deals are for items they would like to get rid of and couldn't sell in 08.

there aren't discounts on hats, jersey shirts for players expected to be on the team, and team shirts. Jersey's for ex-brewers are 100-200. Game used Jersey's for Sheets, Prince, Braun can run 1000+. Really the only deals are for items they would like to get rid of and couldn't sell in 08.

Thanks... I didn't figure there would be a fire sale on some of the star player items... but I'm hoping I can find something worthwhile. I'm hoping the selection is a little better than the sale at the Brewers On Deck thing.

The December 2006 sale had mostly 2006 Brewers stuff. With enough of an inve$tment you could have left with a jersey from the likes of Sheets, Weeks, Hardy or Fielder. Other jerseys were $150-$175, including the former Brewers (Moeller, Winkelsas, so much more) and some of the (then) less glamorous current names - part of me wishes I'd sprung for the Hart instead of the Davis.

The also-ran and never-were jerseys seem to be more of a staple of the April sale. I like looking at those just for the entertainment factor. But I suppose part of the fun of a rummage sale is not knowing just what surprises lie in store.

Last year we arrived late morning on the Saturday of the sale, and the only time we stood in line was to check out. I don't remember huge crowds (we could move around readily, for example) but the turnout seemed healthy. I suppose the crowds could be bigger early in the day.

One time in December (maybe last year) there was a lot of dishware - plates, coffee cups, etc. Institutional-style and quite dingy. Maybe it was from County Stadium...I don't know what other source the Brewers would have for such old stuff. That was in the hallway on the service (basement) level, and at first we feared it was all they were selling. We were relieved to find the "real" merchandise elsewhere.

Edit: I wonder what the Cordero merchandise will go for. A little part of me is tempted to bring a post-it with $46,000,000 written on it and stick it on the tag for the CoCo jersey. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

so will they have game used bats available? what is the price range on those things? i'd really like a bill hall...

The prices for the star players is pretty high. Even the prices for the non stars/former players is pretty ridiculous. And this comes from a guy with more than 40 bats in my collection.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Archived