Brewer Fanatic

American Gladiators??

jason21nl

well, who watched?

the wife and I did and were very entertained. That's it. Just entertained. Nothing great or "better" than the original--it's still just as corny.

I do wonder how many cuts the editors had to do with some of the females on the "Pyramid" having to readjust their sports bras after sliding down the side of the mats.

I'll watch again, although, I miss Czonka.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also thought it was ok.

There was too much trash talk and I hated that they had to stop before each event and show one gladiator either howl or trash talk some more. I also really hated that they showed everything super close up and they jumped from shot to shot after two seconds.

Ill watch if there is nothing else on and hope it gets better.

I think some things we liked as kids should just stay that way. I am here with my bro and he wanted to catch some during commercials of the BS game. It's just awful. As Jlau said, at least the original was the original.

What about the flames above the water in the beginning of the Eliminator though? That's so awesome.

I think Pros vs. Joes on Spike was/is better than American Gladiators. Atleast I can relate and it's not completely ridiculous. And Hulk Hogan isn't the host.

I found tonight's episode much more watchable than last night's. They really seemed to cut down on all of the annoying camera cuts. I'm in the minority, but I like Wolf. He has the most personality of the male Gladiators, with the Rock's cousin (the Samoan Gladiator) a close second. I'm sure Wolf will be in the WWE at the end of the season.

I just watched the Sunday episode last night and large portions of it are almost unbearable.

That scripted announcer is a complete nightmare. Nearly everything out of his mouth is cliche and it just doesn't jive having it recorded after the fact. He needs to go first.

Hogan, for having acted his entire life, can't not sound like he's reading a script either. He ranks just behind the "play by play" guy.

Often times even the contestants responses sounded scripted.

I also really enjoyed that nearly all of the "fan signs" looked like they were done by the same person and seemed totally real.

So ya, I'm noticing a theme to what I don't like about the show. I didn't mind the watching the events themselves, but everything else really got in the way. I didn't think at first I could make it through 15 minutes of it all, but I did. I have last night's recorded yet, and I'll probably watch it, but that will probably be the end of it. Overall it seems NBC got really excited about the hype and tried to control way to much of it, and they executed that way to poorly.

I had actually meant to watch, but totally forgot it had started. However, and I don't mean to take this totally off thread, but, I'll take GUTS! over American Gladiators anyday. Thank goodness for Noggin or whatever the station is on digital cable that still shows it.

I had a thing for Mo' when I used to watch it like 13 years ago, and after watching it a couple days ago, I still do.

3 pages of thread and no one mentioned the first girl blowing her knee out. Anyone remember if there were a ton of injuries in the original American Gladiator. I can't seem to remember but that's probably because I was pretty young. With the addition of those neck braces and all the water, they should just put everybody in there own bubble.

Still very entertaining in a summer movie blockbuster or WWE way. The new events are okay but the tweaking of the original events is pretty cool. I hope somebody makes it to the sand pit and smoke screen in assault because that seems pretty cool. It doesn't hurt that the female gladiators are much better looking than the original. Crush and Siren are definitely worth tuning in for. Since I'm a child of the 80's, Hogan is in the same untouchable category as Favre and other sports stars of my youth. I could do without all the scripting of everything and a little more spontinaity. Even the refs seem scripted. Wolf is definitely the man also. Also if you're ever on a bunch of rings with Fury, stay far, far away.

I think that american gladiators went away because someone broke their neck, at least thats what I heard. I believe that is the reasoning behind the water and the neck braces.

I thought Mrs Ali was going to destroy that punk when he put up his fists to her. I have never hated a contestant so much in my life. I wish he would have gotten hurt real good.

I thought it was moderately entertaining.

I really enjoy the old AG on ESPN Classic and the new version is precisely what I hoped it would not be - a "bigger, badder" version of the original that becomes less and less about the actual competition.

As corny as the original was, it was still all about the competition and was covered for the most part like a real sporting event. With all the camera switches and whatnot, plus the canned commentator, I felt like I was watching a highlight reel of what was supposed to be happening in real time.

Absolute Favorite Part: Wolf (on Monday) "I smell fear, I smell blood, I'm gonna eat you!" - I have to say, I was entertained.

Other Favorite Parts: Eliminator, Assault

Least Favorite Parts: Gladiator "Personas", all the dialogue, Hulk Hogan

Finally watched an episode tonight. They don't seem to have much of a padded floor (as compared to the original powerball, breakthrough & conquer, etc.).

Didn't really like the new Assault....something about searching a litter box for a nerf arrow seemed too "Double Dare" to me.

In the Eliminator, it seems easier to fall off the late obstacles than attempt them. Plus, it needs more of the Gladiators (like the original).

Archived