Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall Honored by Hometown, Discusses Ankle Injury

Mass Haas

Link while active, text follows:

http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID=259636&pub=1&div=Sports

It's your day, Bill Hall

By Gene Phelps

Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal

NETTLETON - Bill Hall and the Milwaukee Brewers had a great ride for 133 days last season, but it eventually ended two games short of the postseason.

Hall, who was honored here Saturday, said winning the NL Central championship remains the team's goal for 2008.

Last season, the Brewers led the division by as many as 8 1/2 games in late June.

"It was discouraging not to make the playoffs," said the centerfielder, whose club finished 83-79 overall and two games behind the division-winning Chicago Cubs. "We knew we need to get that .500 and get it out of the way. We hadn't done that in 13 years.

"That was a big step for us."

Hall, who turns 28 next month, is the oldest of the Brewers' young guns.

He's joined in the lineup by third baseman Ryan Braun, the NL Rookie of the Year who batted .324, hit 34 homers and drove in 97 runs last season; slugging first baseman Prince Fielder, who belted 50 homers; and the middle infield of second baseman Rickie Weeks and shortstop J.J. Hardy.

"We've got a good baseball team ... young, enthusiastic and fun to watch," Hall noted. "We're definitely going to be here for a while."

Hall will be looking to bounce back from season that saw him hit .254 with 14 homers and 63 RBI. He had a breakout season in 2006, belting 35 home runs and driving in 85 runs.

An ankle injury in July was a major factor in Hall's struggles at the plate. He was supposed to take six to eight weeks off, but returned to the lineup in less than three weeks.

"I probably came back a little too quick, but my team was in a pennant race and I felt like I needed to get back out there as soon as possible and help," he said.

Hall, who bats right-handed, injured his right ankle, which is his plant leg.

"I couldn't generate the power I was used to having from the ankle up," he said. "I kind of had to alter my swing a little bit to make it all work.

"Obviously, it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, but I was out there trying to help my team at the end, and that's what matters."

Hall says the ankle is nearing 100 percent and "shouldn't be an issue" when he reports to spring training.

Hometown salute

The former Nettleton High School and Tupelo American Legion standout was honored with a parade through town, and a program and reception at Palestine United Methodist Church.

"We're wanting to honor Bill Hall for doing things the right way and being Christian," said Rev. Chris C. Diggs, earlier this week. "He's an exceptional baseball player, but an even better person."

Hall, who wore his Brewers home jersey for the occasion, said he appreciated the tribute from his family, friends and hometown.

"The whole community stepped up and wanted to do something for me to show their appreciation and their support for me," he said. "It's huge to come back home and be a part of something like this ... to be thanked and showed how everybody feels about you."

"I probably came back a little too quick, but my team was in a pennant race and I felt like I needed to get back out there as soon as possible and help," he said.

Hall, who bats right-handed, injured his right ankle, which is his plant leg.

"I couldn't generate the power I was used to having from the ankle up," he said. "I kind of had to alter my swing a little bit to make it all work.

"Obviously, it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, but I was out there trying to help my team at the end, and that's what matters."

Does anyone else disagree with this? The two months following the injury, Bill Hall hit .213 with a .633 OPS. I'd rather have had Hart in CF with Gross getting more time (had a killer August), or even get Gwynn out there. I know they gradually went to that after it was apparent Hall wasn't the same, but he might as well have just sat out until completely healthy. Johnny Estrada played through injury last season, and it also can be argued he hurt the team.

Most people would probably rip a player if he missed extra time from an injury or missed, say, a few starts due to minor injuries...cough-Sheets-cough....but if you're not healthy enough to play, don't play.

(Note: Ripping on a player for being oft-injured and not playing through injuries are two different things. I'm saying I won't do the latter.)

Most people would probably rip a player if he missed extra time from an injury or missed, say, a few starts due to minor injuries...cough-Sheets-cough....but if you're not healthy enough to play, don't play.
Honestly, you are probably right. But that isn't how a professional athlete's mind works. Bill Hall thinks he can help his team win - because he believes in himself. I would expect him to push himself to return early to the field.

In my opinion, that decision needs to be made with the help of the trainers and coaching staff. Bill is going to do anything he can to get on the field. If he isn't ready - they need to slow him down.

(Note: Ripping on a player for being oft-injured and not playing through injuries are two different things. I'm saying I won't do the latter.)

I think there is a difference between playing with pain, and playing through and injury. Hall had a pretty serious injury, and for him to come back to early from it, hurt the team more than helped. Estrada was also playing through an injury that I'm sure hurt the team. I have never had blisters on my fingers so I have no clue how painful they are, but I'm sure it hurts like hell to throw a baseball or put spin on a baseball. Ripping a player for not playing through those injuries is just silly. Now if you're not playing because you have a head ache or your legs are sore or any other thing that is minor, I can see getting on someone for that. Just not for injuries

I think there is a difference between playing with pain, and playing through and injury. Hall had a pretty serious injury, and for him to come back to early from it, hurt the team more than helped. Estrada was also playing through an injury that I'm sure hurt the team. I have never had blisters on my fingers so I have no clue how painful they are, but I'm sure it hurts like hell to throw a baseball or put spin on a baseball. Ripping a player for not playing through those injuries is just silly. Now if you're not playing because you have a head ache or your legs are sore or any other thing that is minor, I can see getting on someone for that. Just not for injuries

Estrada took a lot of heat for his performance, and then was moved for a liability in the bullpen.

Hall also came back and tried to help.

I hope he's not on the way out. I'd rather see him in center, with Hart in left and Gross in right.

I pitch and I have experienced a blister on the throwing hand more than once. It's not an issue of toughness, you just can't do it. It's not like playing through a sore back or sore leg. Your fingertips are obviously so important dicatating the spin on the ball so if you can't grip it properly, you can't be effective even if you can tolerate the pain.

Thanks for the in site southpaw.

Can I ask how hard blisters are to prevent? I mean, if you made your living as a pitcher - are there steps you can take to help prevent them from forming? Can't you just rough up your finger tips during the off-season so they are a little callused, making it harder to blister?

Good question, I don't know of any way to go about forming a callus, other than throwing. When it has happened to me it was at times where there was a good amount of time in between pitching. When I'm throwing daily there is a callus that develops that prevents the blistering. Not sure how that relates to Ben, just my two cents that a.) time off from throwing due to injuries can result in no callus, and odds of a blister go up and b.) throwing with a blister sucks and is next to impossible.

Oh yeah...also, gripping the ball too hard can result in blistering, but I'm not sure if that is Ben's problem because that also reduces velocity.

I think Bf.net should take some pride in this parade and celebration for Bill. I remember there was discussion last year (or maybe the year before) of posters contacting local Nettleton officials (and the library, I think) asking for them to do something like this. I had the opportunity to talk with Bill during spring training last year (albeit for about 3 minutes), and I mentioned to him we (bf.net posters) were trying to get Nettleton to throw him a parade. He laughed and told us to keep trying.

Job well done Bf.net!

• 1 month later...

That someone was me! I never even saw this post when it first came out. I was the guy who had way too much time on his hands and ended up calling the mayor on his cell phone (getting the number from the local librarian). I find this really funny.

I recall someone on the post recommending that I accompany Bill on the float during the first annual Bill Hall Day parade, but it seems I have missed my chance.

By the way, can anyone help me drag up that old post?

Hall felt he could play through it, turns out he was wrong but you cant' blame him for trying.

I also disagree Mota will be a liablility in the bullpen, he'll likely be about what Wise would have been but can go back to back days unlike Wise.

By the way, can anyone help me drag up that old post?

I'm afraid that was enough in the past to have dropped off the forum. Ezboard didn't hang onto posts as long as Yuku can.

Bill was honored in Nettleton, Ms on Saturday November 24,2007,but not by the city of Nettleton nor by its officials. He was honored by his church Palestine United Methodist Church and the city officials attended the program. It was a wonderful thing and many many people came out to pay tribute to Bill. Family members, past coaches , friends,as well as many that did not know him personally but just wanted to speak on the kind of person that Bill is. Just wanted to let you all know who "really" hosted the Bill Hall Day in Nettleton Mississippi!!!! And yes I was there.

• 4 months later...

I think Russ was saying his injury affected his 2007 numbers. I can't believe this thread was active.

Actually, I was posting to the IGT last night and it mysteriously posted in this thread, instead. I just tried to think of something even semi-relevant to edit my post to. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I can't believe this thread was active.
Yuku doesn't drop old threads like ezBoard did. This forum has all the threads since last year's August 1 migration plus any ezBoard leftovers going back to June 5, 2007.

I did hear rumblings a year ago that Yuku might also start automatically pruning forums, but I haven't heard anything recently. We do have the option to automatically prune forums if we want to. But performance is the only reason to kick it in. The board that requested the ability to optionally prune has 133,849 threads in its busiest forum and it appears to be running fine.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived