Brewer Fanatic

OTA High Def Channels

ryne100

I just got a new HD TV. While I wait for Charter to get more HD boxes in stock, I did the autosetup. It found a bunch of OTA HD channels between 70-112 that made watching football that much better today. I also noticed when some movies are playing, they pause, or fast forward. I'm assuming these are other people using CHarter or some other on demand service, but how am I getting them? Also, is there a guide of what all these channels are, or do I just go through and guess?

It looks like your HDTV has a QAM tuner. (I'd be curious to find out what make / Model you have, just to confirm.)

You're not watching OTA HD channels; you're watching the local HD stations, the same as if you had the digital box.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAM_tuner

(I'll leave it to Wikipedia to get most of the technical details right.)

Good job; I try to recommend looking for a QAM tuner to anyone I know who's buying an HDTV. I'm not a big believer in paying for the digital box just to watch the local channels....and I'm just personally not willing to splurge just for ESPN / FSN HD.

Archived