Brewer Fanatic

Cordero's gone, spend that money on who? (Bullpen Help)

Well, take this for what it's worth.

The rumor central page for Espn says that the Brewers are interested in Chad Cordero. And it lists the Brewers as the only team (so far).

Would Hall and Cappy or Bush get it done?

This is off-topic, but I'd love to know who writes the headlines for those rumors. They're awful. Cordero-Brewers is "Fresh Brew?" Cabrera-Angels is "The Halo Effect." Carlos Silva is "A lot of gold for Silva." Cesar Izturis-Rays is "Ray of light?" I mean, it's Cesar Izturis...

What about "Every Day" Eddie Guardado?

Would be cheap. Has experience in the closer role.

Coming off of a major injury, and overall his stats look horrible for the year.

IP 13.2

ERA 7.24

Most of the runs he gave up came in his first 5 outings. His final 10 outings he gave up 1 run. He seems, to me, to be the perfect low risk high reward type of arm for the bullpen.

What about "Every Day" Eddie Guardado?

Would be cheap. Has experience in the closer role.

Coming off of a major injury, and overall his stats look horrible for the year.

IP 13.2

ERA 7.24

Most of the runs he gave up came in his first 5 outings. His final 10 outings he gave up 1 run. He seems, to me, to be the perfect low risk high reward type of arm for the bullpen.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n136/turborickey/4196aeb8a394e-1.jpg
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

What I'm most afraid of is Melvin making a knee jerk move. When Melvin panics he makes trades like that Linebrink deal.

Given what the Nationals were asking for Cordero last season I don't think I want him. Sure he'd be a great addition but I have a feeling that any trade would end up costing us more then we get in return. I've heard rumors about Broxton - I think that would be a good move. I wouldn't mind seeing Dotel or Percival in a Brewers uni.

The rumors out there have us shopping Hall. I'm wondering who on earth he plans on playing in the OF next year if we dealt Hall? I also thinking trading Para is a mistake - unless it was a cannot refuse type deal.

I'm with Fatter than Joey. What's with this Doug Melvin can't be replaced stuff? He's made some good trades, some bad trades and some in-between He's made some good signs, he's made some bad signs and some in between. He whiffed on his biggest choice, that of manager.

He needs to be held accountable just like players, coaches and manager.

i'm fine if guardado would come here on a minor league contract and try to earn a spot, but thats it. Some have been down on Doug this off season, but you have to give it time. Doug is not one to let much slip through, so we really don't know what he is up to. You can't criticize his moves until at least after the winter meetings, at a minimum. I wouldn't mind if he used a starter and traded him for a proven closer. We'd have to see. I don't like overpaying for a reliever in the free agent market. Also noone really gets me excited that is left.

Dotel is the equivalent of Turnbow except different things make us nervous. Should I be more worried about Dotel pitching awesome until one day his arm falls off or should I be more worried that Turnbow is pitching awesome and someday he allows 6 consecutive hitters to get on base?

That being said, I think a bullpen consisting of Turnbow, Shouse, Stetter/Choate, Riske, and Hawkins would be quite nice along with a long reliever, no idea who.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm not as worried about Dotel's elbow as I am his recent shoulder issues. Elbow had Tommy John in '06 and usually it's two years for a full recovery - and then you're elbow is usually stronger than it was before. But the time on the DL with the should last summer is worrisome. I hope any contract they offer is incentive laden - although that may not be enough to get him if others are pursuing his services.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

what will the bullpen look like next season with Dotel?

Dotel - 9th

Turnbow/Riske - 8th

Mota/McLung - short relief

Shouse(Loogy)

Dave Bush - LR

5 starters (Sheets, YG, CC, CV, MP)

That isnt horrible, not great either. Problem with the pen is that there are too many question marks. I do think Seth McLung will surprise next year. I've read that he has lost alot of weight and is throwing a little harder (hard to imagine). I'm hoping that things click inside Derrick Turnbow this year, if they don't this will be his last year in Milwaukee. Mota could be a disaster, could be a gem again. If he is throwing 96 giving him a shot wouldnt be a bad thing.

Dave Bush was a disaster last season, but will stick with the team.

I dont think Shouse will come close to matching what he did last season, he looked tired and used up at the end of last year. Age has a lot to do with it.

They could go and get a closer at the deadline again next season, actually odds are that they will if they are in 1st place of the NL central.

what will the bullpen look like next season with Dotel?

Dotel - 9th

Turnbow/Riske - 8th

Mota/McLung - short relief

Shouse(Loogy)

Dave Bush - LR

5 starters (Sheets, YG, CC, CV, MP)

You left Suppan out of your rotation. He would probably replace Capuano who I fully expect to be pitching somewhere else next year. Not sure I agree with it because I think he could very easily turn it around and be a #3 again and there is no way we will get compensation for trading Cappy now anywhere near what we should for a #3 pitcher.

The funny thing about that 'he may well turn it around' notion, fondy, is the most popular Cappy-related rumor this offseason - to Col. for Fuentes. That really has the chance to work really well for both sides. Cappy with that D behind him could really post some nice numbers. Since he primarily relies on a FB & change, I'd guess the altitude would affect him less than many.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived