Brewer Fanatic

Cordero's gone, spend that money on who? (Bullpen Help)

The Brewers made a reasonable offer of 10.5 million per year to Cordero, hopefully with him not in the Brewers plans anymore that money will still be spent on the Bullpen. Who would you sign if 10.5 million is "budgeted" in for bullpen help?

My picks

Kerry Wood or Troy Percival for 1 year 2-3 million with a bunch of incentives

Octavio Dotel for 1 year 6 million

With the rest of the money keep it available for payroll flexability when the inevitable trade of a starter comes.

Mods - feel free to close this thread but I was just curious to see who everyone wanted to see brought in now that we know how much they had budgeted in for Cordero

Would like to see them trade for a younger setup man that is ready for the closer role.

My darkhorse is in house and it is Mota. Maddux can get him back on track he could easily be a steal and do what he did a couple of years ago.

I say we just go get a bunch of high-ceiling 6-year minor league FA kids and see what sticks. I know it's playing with fire, but bullpen arms are just so finicky. I wouldn't be surprised if we pick up an Andy Sisco-like arm in the Rule 5.

For me, it's about quantity, not quality when the relief market is as inflated as it is.

if melvin isn't willing to give linebrink 5 per, i can't see him going higher than that on riske or mahay if they do indeed come out at 7-8 per.

i say trade for bullpen help and apply a little of that money to give kenny lofton a few million extra reasons to think about coming to play left field and hit at the top of our order.

Trying to find guys "on the cheap" is for non contending teams with nothing to lose. Gentlemen we are entering the peak years of our core young players. They cannot afford to go "on the cheap" in the vital area of backend of the bullpen. You want to have the years when all these guys, Braun, Fielder, Hardy, Weeks, Hart etc. are at their peak and all affordable wasted because the management wanted cheap relievers? Don't you realize part of Turnbow's success in 2005 was that he pitched for a team with no playoff aspirations and hence less pressure on him? Once the team got better, he reverted to the pitcher he was in Anaheim where winning is expected.

Troy Percival is no journeyman. He's got 324 career saves. He showed last year he can still pitch at a high level (1.80 ERA in 40 innings). He's older with an injury history, so he's somewhat discounted as far years and money go, but I'd have no problem overpaying him in the short term. The bullpen cost this team the playoffs in 2007 and 2006 as well. It's best reliever is gone as is another veteran. In short, its a mess. It's not the time to draw in the reigns and act like it's 2003. 2.8 million fans deserve better.

I mentioned it in that thread discussing Rotoworld rumors, but if there's anything to the "Sheets to Dodgers" rumor, maybe we could get Broxton back in the deal. He'd be our closer immediately, he's young and four years from free agency (I believe).

i could see sheets maybe being a fallback plan should they not land santana. the young bats they've chosen to block with rummies like nomar and pierre would seem to be exactly what minnesota is looking for. if they did have interest in sheets broxton (and ethier maybe?) would definitely be a great target for the reasons you mentioned.

For Mahay and Riske' date=' I think they'll end up with $7-8M combined, not each.[/quote']

that makes a little more sense, sorry for the misread there. i'd be willing to talk at that price, especially with riske

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm with Brian. Find another Turnbow, another McClung, another Shouse, another Wise the same we we got those guys: on the cheap.

It would probably be easier to find a better GM.

Now there's crazy talk starting to crop up in these forums. A better GM? Exactly who would that be? Ed Wade? Come on, now.

Look at how many relievers in our bullpen have career saves (albeit few saves...but saves nevertheless). Unless we sign Gagne (which Melvin doesn't seem inclined to do at these prices) or trade for Nathan (which wouldn't probably happen until the trade deadline if the Twins decide to go that route), then the answer will probably have to come from our bullpen. Where's Mike Adams when you need him?

If we break ST with McClung, Turnbow and Wise as the front end of our BP, and Yost pulling the strings -- that won't

bode well for DM.

It is not even Dec 1st and we are worried about what the team is going to break spring training with for a stopper. Snow has not yet flown and last time I checked the winter meetings has not taken place. I believe the GM meetings or whatever just happened but not the big meeting yet.

Off-season is just getting started and Melvin has done a solid job till this point so what makes people say any different.

McClung was a cheap are that they got for nothing, every GM takes a gamble like that because they are not going to loose any thing trying.

How many OF's can DC play at one time? I'd say Capuano or Bush and Hall would be a steal for the Nationals myself. Bowden has been asking for the sky and then the moon for him though, so who knows?

Zimmerman is pretty awesome at 3rd. Maybe just him on the left side and then have a roving outfielder like in softball.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived