Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne?

hardy7

It's a horrible precedent to start, that's for sure. Booing after a blooper and a ground ball through the hole, without any runs having scored, is about as ignorant as it gets. It was very common all year too.

As for Gagne, the fact is, Doug does not want him, at least not for the money he'll get.

I should have clarified when I said I'd rather get someone better than Gagne. What I meant was I wouldn't want to give him a multi-year deal. I'd be happy if the Brewers signed him for one year, but I'd be very surprised if nobody gave him two or three years.

Poor poor TBlow,

When your job is to pitch the ball and you continually miss, what are people supposed to do if the manager just sits there? If a drive up attendant kept screwing up orders at McDonald's and handed out the wrong things due to their poor work, are people supposed to say, it's alright? Sheesh. Kid gloves handling.

As for Gagne, there is film on him for everyone to look at. They know what he throws in certain situations. He has history. We need a reliever that throw 2/ 3 good pitches, listens to his pitching coach/catcher and is an unknown, Cordero, like Gagne has been figured out. Don't swing at the first couple of bad pitches, get ahead of the count and here comes a fat pitch.

when people get payed millions of dollars and can't take booing it just baffles me. sounds more like a 4th grade issue.
Or maybe booing is acting like a 4th grader?

Not necessarily, when people boo their intention is to show how bad the player is. People also do that by swearing, so booing to me is more acceptable then cursing someone out for 5 minutes.

Don't swing at the first couple of bad pitches, get ahead of the count and here comes a fat pitch.
That isn't a scouting report, that's how you explain hitting in softball to your girlfriend. And I have always thought it better to throw the sure-fire strike and challenge the hitter to get on than to give the hitter something for free. That said, let me ask a question. If Gagne would have just been shutdown with vestibular neuritis instead of being traded to Boston, how would that affect everyone's impression of him? The guy has a very good track record in the NL as a closer and was well on his way to establishing himself as a top 5 closer in the AL before being stricken with the "Fenway trade" bug.

And that's the thing. More than likely, that stretch was an aberration. I would have no problem guaranteeing him 2/14 (A Valentine on Valentine's Day) in this market. He has a history in the NL and if you look at his numbers as a CLOSER, it's disgusting. As I alluded to earlier, I would be more concerned with injury than his time with Boston becoming the norm.

As for Gagne, there is film on him for everyone to look at. They know what he throws in certain situations. He has history. We need a reliever that throw 2/ 3 good pitches, listens to his pitching coach/catcher and is an unknown, Cordero, like Gagne has been figured out. Don't swing at the first couple of bad pitches, get ahead of the count and here comes a fat pitch.

Cordero has been figured out?

He's been a strictly fastball/slider pitcher for a long time and still manages to be one of the better relief pitchers in the game because he throws both pitches so well. It's one thing to know what pitches likely could be coming, it's another thing for the batter to be able to hit it hard. Most of the better one inning relief pitchers throw only two kinds of pitches and have not only had prior success doing so, they'll continue having success.

Cordero has had a several years long run of success...somehow the term "figured out" is not what I would use to describe his history.

Agreed -- It's not as if Cordero had a knuckleball in his arsenal at one point. I am not sure I have ever seen Cordero throw a "fat pitch".

Definitely. 18 innings is a drop in the ocean for a guy with a track record as unreal as Gagne's.

Yeah -- I think he is a decent risk for one year if the DRs. sign off on it.

Archived