Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne?

hardy7
Okay, now that we lost out on Cordero, what do we do now? The best available option is Eric Gagne. The Brewers tried to get him at the break for a late inning guy, so wouldn't it make sense to try to get him now? He was once an all-star closer. Why couldn't we try to make him one again? It's probably the best option we have. I REALLY don't like the idea of giving the job to Turnbow at this point.

I'd go as far as 1/$6-7 with a vesting option at $11 for a Rolaids/Cy or a 40-save season. People are quick to forget that he pitched admirably (some might say better than Coco) at Arlington, before hitting a chute in Fenway. The reports from Boston were that his stuff was still there (sans a few ticks on the heater) but that he had some confidence issues. I truly think he would thrive being back in the NL, on a contending team, and a more "Canadian"-like community. Because, if anything, Milwaukee loves their brews.

I completely agree with getting Gagne. Look at Cordero when we got him from the Rangers, he was having an awful season. Gagne was under pressure in Boston and knew he HAD to perform. In Milwaukee, he can just relax and do his job with no pressures.

Cordero was not having an awful season when we got him from the Rangers. He struggled in April, but was lights out from May on. Gagne hasn't gotten anyone out since he came to Boston. With that said, if we could get Gagne for 1 yr 5 mil i'd be all for it, but I also fear that he might go for over double that.

With that said, if we could get Gagne for 1 yr 5 mil i'd be all for it, but I also fear that he might go for over double that.
SI oringinally had Gagne projected at 1yr/6million. Seeing what Linebrink and Cordero just received, I think Gagne still ends up with a very nice contract.

My money says he gets 2ys/18 million with a team option for $10millon on the 3rd year.

Gagne wasn't even that bad with the Red Sox. Man, the dude threw 18 innings, if he loses big money based on that it's crazy. He had a better K rate and FIP with the Red Sox than he did with the Rangers.

I don't see any risk with going to a pretty large sum of cash for one year. If they wanted to give him $8 million or something, go ahead. That being said, Melvin claims to not have any interest in him (though he apparently did at the deadline, correct?). And of course, the biggest bang for your buck comes in trades, especially watching a lot of mediocre relievers getting ready to sign big deals.

If he gets the kind of multi-year deal that twobrewers proposes, then I guess let that team have him.

Are you implying Milwaukee is hard on their players?
FTJ is 100% correct. Other than Philadelphia and New York, we are developing quite a reputation. Turnbow was booed mercilessly several times last year. He actually mentioned that it might be best for him to move on this off-season as the crowd was clearly against him. Prince called out the fans for their excessive booing.

Brady Clark and Carlos Lee were both also booed quite loudly on their return visits.

So yes, Milwaukee is very hard on their players.

It doesn't matter what any of us think, it matters what the players think. The Brewers already can't outbid other teams for top talent, the last thing the fans need to do is provide a reason for a guy to choose another team based on fan reputation. It might seem immature and petty, but that won't make anyone feel better if it happens.

Why would anyone boo Brady Clark or Doug Davis? Why would anyone continue to boo Wes Helms, two years later?

Put your beer down and watch some baseball, it's good entertainment.

I don't really think Milwaukee is any harder on their poorly-performing players than any other fanbase in the majors, other than those that are infamously apathetic (Arizona, Tampa, Los Angeles, etc.). I definitely don't think that Milwaukee is on the same level as Philadelphia, New York, and Chicago in terms of being excessively hard on players. Part of me believes Prince's comments were made because it's just not something he's been used to growing up -- he's always been admired and gawked at by fans coming up in high school and through the minors, and it was his first time in the heat of a pennant race. I at least hope for his sake that he learns how to deal with it before signing a $200 million deal with the Yankees after his time in Milwaukee is done.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived