Brewer Fanatic

Chad Cordero

homer

Read what I said. Capuano also was an injury gamble at that point. My gripe is that he gives up players when they are reaching their prime for guys either hurt, coming off injuries, or have potential not shown. And how is Capuano working out for us and Bush?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2532418

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/07/espn_carlos_lee.html

Here's the man's comments about giving up what he did for Inman.

http://kpanz.blogspot.com/2007/07/brewers-trade-3-prospects-for-padres.html

After giving up Lee, Melvin said all we would get is draft picks if we didn't trade him but then issues the comments about picking up Federlinebrink, is that if we lose him we get picks. So Melvin picked him up for compensation if he walked? What sense is that? So if he didn't help him win, he had a fall back?

Postseason2006, I'm right there with you on hating the Linebrink trade, and I'll throw letting Javier Valentin get away onto the pile. IMHO, however, you don't have a leg to stand on where the Sexson and Lee deals are concerned.

For a year of Sexson (which ended up being about a month of Sexson, although no one could have predicted that) we got a couple of good years from Lyle Overbay, who then got us a serviceable SP and OF we still have; plus a couple of very good years of Capuano, who could yet help us again; plus filler.

For a few months of Carlos Lee, we got a season plus of excellent closing by Cordero, which helped us to contend last year. (I'm not going to defend Nix or Mench, but then no one's going to defend Nelson Cruz either.)

You're also ignoring getting Lee for Pods; getting Pods for nothing in the first place; getting Doug Davis for nothing; getting Brady Clark for nothing; getting Villanueva for less than nothing (a.k.a. Wayne Franklin); getting Tomo Ohka for Spivey; signing Bill Hall to a bargain deal; signing the team's first premier free agent in years in Suppan . . . I'm sure I'm forgetting some highlights.

You're also mistaken, I believe, to credit Dean Taylor for the core of the present team. IIRC, Most of our young studs got drafted on DM's watch, although you could argue that all he deserves credit for is getting out of Jack Z's way. Even so, not every GM would be smart enough to do even that. I do think Taylor deserves credit for starting the farm system in the right direction, as others have pointed out here in the past.

DM has made some mistakes, and he still has to prove that he can take a good team to a perennial contending level. His record over the past year provides legitimate reasons for concern. But he has done a pretty much unprecedented job of building an effective rotation and offensive core from almost nothing. I strongly suspect most baseball people would count DM among the better GMs in the game overall.

Greg.

For what it is worth Thatcher's xFIP was over 4 last year. His ERA was so low because of a very high DER .803 (luck basically) and allowing only 5% of his FB's to be HR's (combination of luck and park). Any time you use ERA to judge pitchers you are on shaky ground, especially when looking at only 20-30 IP's.

I still stand by the fact that Inman is a future #4 starter, he is a right handed Capuano. There are certainly RP's I'd rather have than Linebrink but I think the fact that it was mostly a no brainer that he would be type A made them more secure in the trade. The draft picks we get for losing Linebrink will most likely be a Thatcher and Inman quality player and will hit the majors in time to replace some of the players we will not be able to keep in the future.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From ESPN Rumor Central:

Fresh Brew?

Chad Cordero | Nationals | Interested: Brewers?
Since Francisco Cordero agreed to a deal with the Reds, the Brewers will explore the trade market for a closer and could inquire about the availability of Chad Cordero, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports. "A closer is a key for any club," GM Doug Melvin told the newspaper. "We might have to go find somebody. We do have some excess [starting] pitching [available to trade]. We can be a little more open-minded. We'd like to add another bullpen arm."

No offense directly towards you, recte, but that's a pretty vague 'rumor.' Sounds like someone asked TH if the Brewers checking out a trade of Cordero is plausible, and he said 'yea.' Don't get me wrong, though - I'd like to see them pursue him. Better yet, how 'bout Rauch, his teammate, who'll come without the 'closer' moniker - and cheaper for it.

EDIT: Imho Chad Cordero's overvalued. He's not as 'lights-out' as his rep would make him seem. His xFIPs of recent years are really nothing over which to get too excited, and his SLGA is high enough that I wonder how much of a role RFK has played in his legend. He hasn't been super nasty since 2005, and even then only posted an FIP of 4.31 (basically, had a lucky year in a lot of ways).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, as I said elsewhere, I think Chief Cordero is a tad overrated. He gives up a fair number of homers, and while his splits are pretty even, he has had the advantage of a pro-pitcher environment. It's not that I wouldn't like to have the guy...he'd be our best reliever by a long shot. But when you add the talent required to acquire him, I'd certainly hesitate...

After giving up Lee, Melvin said all we would get is draft picks if we didn't trade him but then issues the comments about picking up Federlinebrink, is that if we lose him we get picks. So Melvin picked him up for compensation if he walked? What sense is that? So if he didn't help him win, he had a fall back?

Melvin traded 3 guys, and got 2 months of Linebrink (who wasn't as horrible as people seem to think) and 2 draft picks. Why is it so bad for him to admit that was a factor in the trade? Should he not count picks he will get when he makes a trade?

He thought what he got for Lee would be worth more than draft picks (which it was, IMO) and what he traded for Linebrink he could (hopefully) improve upon with more draft picks. He wasn't contradicting himself.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived