Brewer Fanatic

Joe Kennedy passes away (per ESPN)

DuWayne Steurer

"Sad to say but overdose seems like a likely suspect with how sudden this happened. Shame, the guy had a ton of talent but never seemed to figure out what to do with it."

That is a pretty bold statement to make about someone who just died, especially when its based on pure speculation.

That is a pretty bold statement to make about someone who just died, especially when its based on pure speculation.

With such a sudden death at a relatively young age, suicide and drug overdose will be the first two things forensics will attempt to rule out. Hardly bold, as it is standard procedure.

Also, one of the most dangerous side effects of steroids is it greatly increases the chance of someone suffering an aneurysm, or any type of blood clot. Does that mean he used steroids? No, but forensics won't be doing their job if they don't look for it.

It's a tragedy for his family and friends, and a sad day for baseball.

And it's especially sad to learn that he had a wife and young son, who won't have his dad around to help him grow up.

I guess we find out in 6-8 weeks what happened that made his body fail him.

With such a sudden death at a relatively young age, suicide and drug overdose will be the first two things forensics will attempt to rule out. Hardly bold, as it is standard procedure.

Honestly, I think there is a difference between forensics doing their job and ruling out potential causes while determining the actual cause of death, and someone publicly stating that drug overdose is a likely cause of Joe Kennedy's death. I'm not saying forensics is being bold, I'm saying that the statement was. I've never heard any connection between Kennedy and illegal drugs, and I just disagree with making one now, after his death, based completely on his age and the fact that he died suddenly and unexpectedly. If there is any evidence to back up claims of an overdose, by all means call the married father out on it, but when there is absolutely zero eveidence at this point, I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt before making those kinds of accusations.

I find myself agreeing with the above post, and I don't mean to pile on but the original post in question rubbed me the wrong way as well. It isn't perfect, but take the following situation:

Statistically, among the leading causes of late night accidents is alcohol. That's a fact. But if a family member were to be involved in a crash late at night, I would hate for a random bystander to say something like, "Well..she was probably drunk anyway. I mean, it'll be the first thing they test for in the autopsy..standard procedure." There's nothing inherently wrong about the guess, but it sure does sound a bit insensitive to me.

In any case, sad news for all involved I'm sure.

"Well..she was probably drunk anyway. I mean, it'll be the first thing they test for in the autopsy..standard procedure." There's nothing inherently wrong about the guess, but it sure does sound a bit insensitive to me.

I'm wondering where exactly I dismissed the death because of the potential of drug abuse as you did in your example?

It's horrible that he died, and terrible that he had a wife and child, but if it was because he abused steroids plenty of good can come from his death. It's a quick and easy reminder to how dangerous they are, and that their are far worse outcomes then mere public opinion polls.

• 1 month later...

Archived