Brewer Fanatic

Any Mark Rogers Updates? Latest: Journal-Sentinel

twobrewers

From an April Article
"I couldn't be happier than I am right now," he said. "My strength is coming back and I've had full range of motion for quite a while."

"From all the reports, he's progressing well and they feel he's going to make a full recovery," said Jim Rooney, Milwaukee's coordinator of minor league pitching. Rooney made it clear the Brewers don't intend to rush Rogers back.

From June
Tom Haudricourt, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Milwaukee Brewers P Mark Rogers (shoulder) is making progress after undergoing shoulder surgery in January, according to assistant general manager Gord Ash. The team plans to get Rogers ready to pitch in instructional ball in the fall.

October 11
Mark Rogers, the Brewers' first-round draft pick in 2004 who sat out the entire '07 season after undergoing shoulder surgery, has begun throwing regular bullpen sessions in the team's instructional league camp.

"He's throwing the ball pretty good right now," said Jim Rooney, the Brewers' minor league pitching coordinator. "I would hope he's ready to pitch somewhere next spring."

Do we have any updates on how the instructional league went? Did he have any set backs? How was this speed? Was he at all limited? Mark is still really young, and has plenty of time to heal. But it certainly seems like he kinda fell of the face of the earth. I would love to know how he is doing and where he might start next year.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone else cares - but I got my answer from Adam McCalvy in his latest mailbag.

Brewers farm director Reid Nichols said that Rogers, who had shoulder surgery in January 2007, was doing "very well" before the team's holiday break and is on schedule to be ready for the start of the season. That's slightly ahead of the conservative schedule Rogers himself talked about last March at Maryvale Baseball Park.

The Brewers are leaning toward assigning Rogers to Class A Brevard County, where he would work on a strict pitch count.

Not sure if anyone else cares - but I got my answer from Adam McCalvy in his latest mailbag.

Brewers farm director Reid Nichols said that Rogers, who had shoulder surgery in January 2007, was doing "very well" before the team's holiday break and is on schedule to be ready for the start of the season. That's slightly ahead of the conservative schedule Rogers himself talked about last March at Maryvale Baseball Park.

The Brewers are leaning toward assigning Rogers to Class A Brevard County, where he would work on a strict pitch count.

I do, and would be very greatful of any new info you hear. The only reason i haven't posted anything(like Pogo) is i don't have much to add other than a one liner of something like " i hope he comes back this year, our minor league depth could use him." And i know that kind of thing is looked down on here, so i refrained from posting.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

• 1 month later...

Here is an article from the Portland Press Herald in Maine regarding Mark Rogers:

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=168693&ac=PHspt

Rogers preparing for next step in his recovery

After missing last season because of shoulder surgery, Mark

Rogers is eager to pitch again

By PAUL BETIT, Staff Writer February 11, 2008

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/includes/global2/cms/pph/080210/photos/1246211-m.jpg

Opening day of the Milwaukee Brewers' minor league training camp is three weeks away, but Mark Rogers already has started his spring training.

For the past two weeks, Rogers, a right-handed pitcher from Orr's Island, has been participating in the Brewers' minor league offseason development program in Maryvale, Ariz., preparing to return to the mound after shoulder surgery.

"He's been making very good advances," said Jim Rooney, coordinator of minor league pitching for the Brewers. "I've watched him the last couple of days he's thrown, and everything looks good."

In 2004, Rogers signed for $2.2 million after the Brewers made him the fifth pick in baseball's amateur draft following his senior year at Mt. Ararat High in Topsham.

His third pro season was cut short in July 2006 when his throwing shoulder stiffened while he was pitching for the Brevard County Manatees in the Class A Florida State League. He returned to Milwaukee's training complex in Arizona for physical therapy, but it didn't help.

Nearly 13 months ago, Rogers underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum and tighten a loose ligament in his right shoulder.

For Rogers, who began throwing a baseball again in May, it's been a long recovery from the two surgical procedures.

"It's been difficult," he said. "But I'm fortunate to be surrounded by a great family and great friends.

"They remind me of things to help me get through this, like keeping your head in the right direction, focusing on the final goal. They're not letting me get too far out of reach."

Rogers' recovery hasn't always been in a positive direction. Last month, his shoulder stiffened following throwing sessions in the bullpen.

"The new stretch of throwing off the mound caused a little inflammation, a little tightness in there," he said. "I got that taken care of last week. Now, I'm going to start building it back up to where I was."

Rogers started throwing from 50 feet last Monday, then added another foot or two to the pitching distance during Wednesday's and Friday's throwing sessions.

"Right now, I've thrown the last three times, and it honestly feels like there isn't a thing wrong with my shoulder," he said. "I just throw normally and everything feels great."

Rogers believes he is back on track to return to the mound and face hitters.

"I'm throwing Monday, Wednesday, Friday right now, and then we'll ramp up the closer we get to spring training," he said. "I should be on the mound not too long from now."

The Brewers' minor league training camp opens in early March at the team's Arizona training complex.

"Everybody on the medical staff is extremely happy," Rooney said. "From the reports I get, (Rogers) is extremely happy and is feeling good and positive about how things are turning out. We've just got to take it from there."

At this point, the Brewers are unsure which team Rogers will be assigned to when spring training ends in early April.

"Those decisions are yet to be made," Rooney said. "When spring training is winding down, we'll see what the progress is and we'll see what the weather reports look like."

Coming out of spring training, the Brewers intend to assign Rogers to a team that plays in the warmest climate, Rooney said.

"Usually, when spring training breaks, the best weather is in Brevard County," he said.

Rogers also could be assigned to the Huntsville (Ala.) Stars in the Double-A Southern League, or he could remain in Arizona for extended spring training.

"If I'm a 100 percent ready to go, throwing bullpen, getting a taste of hitters and pitching in spring training games, then I should break camp and hopefully go right back where I was in Florida," Rogers said. "Hopefully, I'll pitch well there and move on."

But Rogers, currently ranked 222nd on a list of the top 244 prospects compiled by Baseball America, won't complain if the Brewers hold him back.

"I'm in no rush," he said. "As long as I'm facing hitters and I'm getting better, it doesn't matter where I am.

"I know if I get back to where I was before the surgery, I can move fast."

Staff Writer Paul Betit can be contacted at pbetit@pressherald.com

Copyright © 2008 Blethen Maine Newspapers

Did you ever envision that you would hope for Mark Roger's career to follow Manny Parra's career path?

If Mark is healthy, he really needs to take a step forword this year. But hearing about that "tightness" a few weeks back is cause for concern. That might bother him all year, and really keep him from being 100% until next year.

And frankly, he was already pretty raw. It really hurts to lose all of that development time.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah but the great thing is he is still only 21.... so if these injuries are behind him then he should be good to go and be up in the Majors in 2 years....Hard to believe the Brewers had the chance to get Hughes or Homer in the first round and gallardo in the 2nd round....I still have great hope for Rogers though...and hope he did not lose much on that 98 mph fastball...

Hard to believe the Brewers had the chance to get Hughes or Homer in the first round and gallardo in the 2nd round....I still have great hope for Rogers though...and hope he did not lose much on that 98 mph fastball...

I think about this too, but Patrick (I think) has pointed out that probably the Brewers didn't have the budget for both Bailey and Gallardo in that draft; they reached a bit with the first pick and then got another guy they really wanted with the second. That theory makes me feel less bad about the Rogers pick, so I pass it along.

Greg.

Did bailey go over slot? If not, he wouldn't have cost more than Rogers.

While I do think Rogers has a good chance to have a major league career, I kinda wonder what it's like for a 18 year old guy to get a multi-million dollar signing bonus, thereby setting himself up for life, then flame out. What is it like to be over the hill at 21?

While I do think Rogers has a good chance to have a major league career, I kinda wonder what it's like for a 18 year old guy to get a multi-million dollar signing bonus, thereby setting himself up for life, then flame out. What is it like to be over the hill at 21?

You might be able to ask Jeffress in a few months.

You might be able to ask Jeffress in a few months.

THAT would be a bad situation. Lots of Money. Nothing to do. Love for Ganga. In jail sooner than later.

Personally, I can't wait to see what happens to Rogers. I have seen scouting video on this guy from High School and he looked great even at that age. Some control problems, but his stuff even at age 18 was outstanding.

Gallardo, Rogers, Jeffress, and Parra all maturing together......

Like someone said before, keep your fingers crossed.....

I think that Parra and Gallardo are well ahead of Jeffress and Rogers on the development ladder.

Well, clearly. I don't think anyone would suggest that Rogers is on the same level as Yovani Gallardo right now.

The point is, how great would it be if you had all four of those guys in the big leagues and fulfilling their potential all at the same time? If those four fulfill their potential(which is incredibly unlikely), you'd have 4 true aces in your rotation.

The point is, how great would it be if you had all four of those guys in the big leagues and fulfilling their potential all at the same time? If those four fulfill their potential(which is incredibly unlikely), you'd have 4 true aces in your rotation.
gopher, there's a major problem with this logic. That is, that if everything worked out that way, in 2004 our rotation would have featured Ben Sheets, Nick Neugebauer, JM Gold, Jose Mieses, and Ryan Poe. All put up outstanding numbers in the minors--when healthy.

battlekow, If I remember correctly, Poe was bit by the injury bug that also got Jose Garcia, Gold, and Mieses at around the same time. Poe had back of the rotation stuff, but threw well. I believe it was Tommy John surgery that ended it for him. Mieses had torn rotator cuff, I believe. Gold all of the above. Garcia was elbow

gopher, there's a major problem with this logic. That is, that if everything worked out that way, in 2004 our rotation would have featured Ben Sheets, Nick Neugebauer, JM Gold, Jose Mieses, and Ryan Poe. All put up outstanding numbers in the minors--when healthy.

So explain the problem with that logic? It WOULDN'T be great if they DID all fulfill their potential? Or are you trying to tell me that it's unlikely that all of our good pitchers will become aces and that they'll reach their potential? Because I think that's a given, and I made a point to say that it was incredibly unlikely.

In any event, it wasn't "My logic" anyway, I was simply clarifying the point that someone else made. But yea, obviously it's not going to happen...or it's very unlikely to happen(we are half way there with Parra and Gallardo, so it's not totally impossible...though...Rogers is a long way away even if he's healthy, and Jeffress needs to put the pipe down.

For anyone who didn't read the MiLB article on the Brewers. Thanks to Colby, as always, for the find.

Other News of the Day

Former first-rounder Mark Rogers has backed off his rehab program just a bit, despite the fact that he's been throwing since the fall. The big right-hander had surgery last January to take care of some ligament and labrum issues in his shoulder and missed all of 2007. One club official believes it might be something as simple as Rogers experiencing discomfort as scar tissue breaks up, which would be enough to cause alarm in any young pitcher coming off surgery. So, the club is being cautious and pulling back a tad as a precaution more than anything else.

Archived