Brewer Fanatic

Johan Santana asks Twins for 126 million

The Twins offered Johan 93 million over 5 years, Johan countered, asking for 126 million over 5 years. That's the same dollar amount the Giants gave Barry Zito last winter, but that deal covered 7 years.

1. Do you think the Twins will meet Johan's demands.

2. If not, he'll most likely be traded, do you think some other team will pay him that amount?

I think thats Johan's discount to the club. If you wana call it a discount. I say that because Zito got 126million and thats what Johan's offer was. At the same time I think if he goes on the open market if Zito got 126, he should easily command 150million+. I could see him getting a 7/8 year 200 million dollar contract. You have to remember that Johan is a constant Cy Young pitcher and hasn't had injury issues. With that said Johan is so many nothches above Zito in pitching, and if Zito can get that, no doubt in my mind Johan gets that.

Unless you are a big market ballclub(Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, ect) that is to much to tie up in one player. I am not saying that it is an unreasonable contract, just that I don't think the Twins will give him that much. Depending on wether the Twins expect to compete this year, I see Santan getting traded. I would think they are in the same position with Santana that we are with Sheets, except that they might be able to get equal or greater value for Santana because he doesn't have an injury history. Neither of us are likley to resign them at the end of the year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I would not give it to him, or any pitcher. That said, someone will, but not the Twins.

I'd give Santana the money if i was the Yankees or Red Sox. He's the best starter in the game and has been extremely durable. Plus, all those two teams need to do is turn on their money printing presses, they can afford him even with their already bloated payrolls.

That is crazy cash for a pitcher, he'd make about 750, 000 per start. Then again, i'd rather pay Santana 25 million than say Suppan 11, a Jenkins like player 8, and some middle reliever around 4.

I'd agree that the injury risk is greater, but Sanatana is a conditioning freak and is probably about as safe a health risk as you can find from a pitcher. He's the complete package.

I also think people are underestimating just how much more revenue the new stadium will bring in for the Twins. They have never gotten anything for concessions or parking at the old stadium, and with the new one they get 100% of concessions and are supposed to get a share of the parking rvenue from the nearby ramp. Each of those should bring in millions more every year, not to mention the increase with luxury boxes, rent from various resteraunts and businesses, and supposedly some condo sales as well.

Plus I've grown a bit tired of the Twins being called a small market club. The Twin Cities is one of the largest markets in the country. While the Twins have complained about their lack of revenue streams, thanks iin part to a terrible lease with the Metrodome, they certainly have the potential to be one of the wealthiest franchises in baseball. They can expand their payroll quite a bit, far more then most people initially realize.

I don't think anyone is arguing if the Twins can ultimately afford it...I think it's obvious that they can, or will with the new stadium. The question is if signing a pitcher for that kind of commitment is worth the potential risk.

Personally, I hope they do re-sign him, just as a big, um...gesture, to teams like the Yankees.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Durable is another word for due for an injury, no way I give that contract.

The Zito contract was the worst in baseball last year so it isn't a good idea defending it that way.

Zito had far more red flags when he was signed by the Giants

Declining velocity, high walk rates, and declining strikeout rates.

Santana has none of the above. His strikeout rates are very high, walk rates low, hits per innings pitched low. Santana has been a dominant pitcher since he entered the big leagues and i see nothing from his stuff or stats that would cause the red flags that Zito had, but the Giants chose to ignore. Of course Santana could get hurt at some point, but that can be said for any pitcher. Santana at least has no injury history, he looks as safe a bet as possible for a starting pitcher.

Which ever team does eventually sign him will obviously be taking a risk given the huge cash he'll get. With that said, he's the best pitcher in the game and for teams with money that actually want to win a ring, they will take that risk for good reason. Quite a few MLB teams have huge amounts of revenue coming in and can afford to pay an ace like Santana. I only wish the Brewers were one of them, unfortunately, he'll likely end up with one of the typical big market teams and help them win alot of games, not us.

The Yanks have officially announced they are in discussions for Santana. Now I realize this is a pipedream with the amount Santana is owed this year and if he were to have an extension, but can you imagine if Milwaukee got Santana.

Say they put together a package of maybe Billy Hall, Jeremy Jeffress, Escobar, Manny Parra and ? around there to get him. That might be weak but so be it.

Santana

Sheets

Gallardo

Villanueva

Suppan

Couple that with our lineup 1-9 and that would be like wow.

Archived