Brewer Fanatic

Hope for Rowand to Dodgers

colbyjack

I noted this on the MLB forum, but now that Torii Hunter shocked everyone and signed with the Angels, when the White Sox largely were considered the favorites to land him, keep your fingers crossed that Aaron Rowand signs with the Dodgers (or any other team not named the Dodgers) so the Brewers retain the White Sox second round pick and don't get bumped down to their third rounder.

Rowand to the Dodgers helps in another way as well: It could make Andre Ethier available.

If the Dodgers sign Rowand it is rumored that their first preference would be to deal Juan Pierre to a team in need of a leadoff hitter and CF. But teams realize that the Dodgers are in the market for a CF because Pierre isn't that great out there, and he also isn't a very good leadoff hitter since he doesn't get on base at good enough of a clip. That makes Pierre and the contract he signed last year nearly impossible to get rid of.

And that again could make Ethier very much available.

Ethier has been one of the more intriguing targets for left field all offseason. He is a good, not great all around ballplayer, he's young, and he hits both RHPs and LHPs as a LH hitter. He'd be a great fit for both LF and the team's #2 spot in the lineup and his career OPS matches Crawford's from last year (.821) and is better than Crawford's career mark. Of coruse, Ethier doesn't have Crawford's game-changing speed, and Ethier wouldn't come free, but he wouldn't cost nearly as much as what Crawford would. He handles the bat well and wouldn't be strikeout prone like Luke Scott is, and he has played his home games at pitching friendly Dodger Stadium.

If I'm Doug Melvin I'm watching this situation more than any other, although Geno may argue that the draft implications would continue to be the team's #1 offseason priority should it shake out this way http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

If the Dodgers sign Rowand it is rumored that their first preference would be to deal Juan Pierre to a team in need of a leadoff hitter and CF.

The thought of the Brewers being this team scares me more than the Sox signing Rowand. They wanted the clown last offseason, and with Melvin's history of old flames dying hard, I'm kind of worried about that awful possibility (even though the things I have heard were that it was Mark A. who wanted Pierre).

Ethier's OK.

Archived