Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Freel and Josh Hamilton Available?

crewcrazy

According to Jayson Stark, the Reds want to make room for Jay Bruce, and are looking to trade Ryan Freel and to a lesser extent Josh Hamilton. It'd probably take a bit more to pry Hamilton away, but Ryan Freel could be a buy-low candidate. He only hit .245/.308/.347 in a year ruined by injuries, but is a .270/.358/.378 hitter for his career. If you're DM, do you kick the tires on the possibility of a Freel deal, possibly with the idea of using him as a Tony Graffanino super-sub type, or do you avoid him like the plague? What would a deal for Freel require in return, considering the Reds are basically viewing him as damaged goods?

Edit: Link (first bullet under "Rumbles" heading)

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

How is Freel's speed? I know coming up he was an above average base runner who had some speed. If he still has the speed, I'd give the Reds a call. I really like the Brewers offense (granted if Kendall can just get on base is all I ask), but minus Weeks and Hart (and I suppose Braun) we don't have too many base stealers. Just a thought.

Archived