Brewer Fanatic

Linebrink to White Sox

jschris

I'm looking for a credible link, but according to some comments on mlbtraderumors.com, Linebrink has signed with the ChiSox for four years, $19M.

Please feel free to move to "rumors" if appropriate linkage can't be found.

The deal is reportedly for 4 years, $19M, insane money for a setup man, although I remember thinking Bobby Howry signed for too much, and he looks like a bargain now.

Sandwich picks work like this:

The worst team to lose a Type A FA gets the first pick in the sandwich round, followed by the second worst team, the third worst team, etc. If a team has mutiple Type A FA lost, the highest rated player garners the higher rating sandwich pick (which really is only a technicality), and those picks are cycled through all of the teams that lose a Type A FA, from worst to first, before teams with multiple FA lost are given another pick.

Meaning, if the Brewers lose both Cordero and Linebrink to FA, Cordero would garner the Brewers one of the top picks in the sandwich round, but they would have to wait until all of the other Type FAs team-by-team are awarded before getting another pick and starting the same cycle all over again.

After the Type A FA compensation has been figured out, the Type B FAs are awarded in the same fashion.

I break it down in the following thread thread as well, with the example of Type A FA compensation to follow:

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?t=8802

31. Twins (Hunter)

32. Brewers (Cordero)

33. Mets (Glavine)

34. Padres (Barrett)

35. Phillies (Rowand)

36. Brewers (Linebrink)

37. Padres (Bradley)

38. Phillies (Iguchi)[/i]

This assumes that Arod re-signs with the Yankees and that Andy Pettitte either re-signs with the Yankees or retires. Also, I'm guessing Bonds is not offered arby.

If Cordero re-signs with the Brewers, the Brewers would still get the 32nd overall selection (the second pick in the sandwich round) for Linebrink given my reasoning above.

Man... The compensation system is horribly unfair if a player is signed by a team in the top 15 picks. If a team with a pick at the end of the first round signs a player, the players former team gets a pick between 16-30. If the team has a top 15 pick, it jumps to the second round, which in this case will be around pick 70. So the Brewers would drop more than 40 spots by having the Sox sign Linebrink.

I agree that the first round pick should not be taken from a team in the top 15 because obviously that team needs it. But wouldn't it be more fair if the team that lost the player get a pick before the sandwich round and just take the other teams second round pick away? Maybe I'm understanding this wrong, but it just seems horribly wrong that a team drops at least 40 spots because their player signed with a top 15 team.

Archived