Brewer Fanatic

Brewers inquire about Kerry Wood

Good to hear. I'd love to get some Kerry Wood in the bullpen in 2008. Were/are there any legs to the notion that he'd drawn interest (albeit perhaps marginal) as a SP option for anyone? If he had an offer to start somewhere, that'd torpedo our shot at him as a RP.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm not sure if investing in Wood and handing him the closer job is a good idea, which they would likely have to do to entice him to sign in Milwaukee. He's just a massive injury risk.

Yep, didn't he even get hurt getting out of a hot tub? The guy is a white Jeffery Hammonds. Even if his army can stay healthy all year, he likely will pull or strain some other muscle or body part. He's like Ben Sheets with arm problems on top of all the other ailments that strike him.

I guess my thought process is that he's going to cost a lot of money, on name alone. Then, you're asking him to do something that he's never really done before (I mean for a full season) in relieve. I don't think the Brewers should make investments in guys who "should be" able to stay healthy, if they're going to invest heavily in a relief pitcher, I'd rather they do it in one that has stayed healthy and effective.

I know the upside is tremendous, but really this is the kind of guy that teams with deeper pockets take chances on (like the Sox routinely do with guys like Williamson, Wade Miller, etc.).

Archived