Brewer Fanatic

Sappy "what I am thankful for" story

rwa12

I've been meaning to post this for some time, but have just never gotten around to it. This years Thanksgiving has brought a whole new meaning for me. May 15th of this year, my son Jackson was born. He was diagnosed with severe cardiomyopathy, and was immediately transferred to the Cardiac ICU at Children's Hospital in St. Louis. It became evident quickly that his heart was not viable, and we were placed on the transplant list within a week of his birth. We waited 5 long weeks for a heart, and survived many close encounters with tragedy, but on Father's Day we were blessed with a new heart. The new heart has worked flawlessly since transplant, and we have had zero rejection so far (knock on wood). We have had our fair share of bumps in the road, but overall, Jack has been doing fantastic. I have still not come to grips entirely with what has happened in these past six months, but know that my life would be empty without him in it. I am thankful for the loving decision of the donor family to give him the gift of life, and I am thankful for every moment I am with my son. I am also thankful to the incredilble staff at SLCH, and to our family and friends who support us. His picture is in my avatar, I will try to track down the one of him in his first Brewers hat. Thanks for reading, I thought with all the crap that goes on in the world, it may be nice to share a happy story.

-Rob

Thanks very much for sharing, Rob. I really mean it. Sometimes we do lose track of what is important, especially with all of the shopping madness that is now being associated with Thanksgiving. My 2-year old has spent extensive time at Children's Hospital in Milwaukee over the course of his life due to chronic tracheal problems and I can certainly say I am so thankful for everything they did for him so that he can be with us this holiday season. I cannot imagine life without him and find myself, too, still coming to grasps with all that has happened over the past two years. It still doesn't seem real. Now we have another one on the way, too, so life shouldn't slow down for awhile. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I truly hope that things continue to improve for your beautiful boy.

I bet Father's Day will mean a lot more to you than a tie each year.

Everyone has a ton to be thankful for every year, even if the media is lost in the negative of the week (can't get over the record travel despite the gas prices, they have discussed how travel is near all-time lows for about 6 months now). Nice for someone to actually admit it. Great story, Rob. Also, everyone should remind their family and friends tomorrow to be a donor.

Archived