Brewer Fanatic

Eric Chavez available for trade?

Chavez currently has a limited No trade cluse of which the Brewers are listed as a team he can block a trade too. He has said he would be willing to waive the no trade clause if it helps out the A's. He had a pretty bad year last year but he was hurt and has had 3 surgeries already this offseason. It appears it would certainly be a buy low situation. If I remember right he is an excellent third baseman

Contract:

2008 $11MM

2009 $11MM

2010 $12MM

2011 $12.5MM Club Option, $3MM buyout

I found this on the mlbtraderumors website. It doesnt specifically mention any potential suitors. One would think the A's would either let him go for a modest return or let him go, pay part of his salary, and expect something of substantial value back.

Chavy has been slipping for the past few years, both with the bat and with the glove. If the surgeries straightened stuff out, he could still be excellent, though. I guess if I had to choose between which one I thought would be healthy between Chavez and Rolen, I would lean Chavy. But I'm pretty biased towards him, as well. I guess I give him credit for playing through all the injuries he's had - and they have most definitely hurt his game a lot.

It all depends on how much the A's will eat, or what they want. I'd feel better about moving Braun off of 3B for him than I would for Feliz.

His contract and shoulder surgeries as well as back surgery scare the hell out of me but if he's made available, the Brewers are interested and they feel comfortable trading for him knowing his injury history then I'd be all for it.

Just a couple of notes:

average OBP over career is .347 with a high of .397 in 2004, last two years have been .351 and .306. Career high in homers was also in 2004 with 34, not much of a SB threat, has struck out more than 100 times 3 times in his career and would have been 4 if he played a full year last year, career high OPS of .898 in 2004, last year was .752, 2006 was .786. Had a .975 fielding % in 2007, .987% in 2006. It also appears he has played a grand total of 2 games in LF, 1 game at 1b, and 5 at SS. He will turn 31 in December

How does Oakland rank in terms of being a hitters park? It seems to me his numbers would be better in NL playing in Miller, Philly, Cincy. So much foul territory in Oakland and ball doesn't carry well at night. I think we covered Chavez last year as well on this forum and most were against him.

If I remember right he is an excellent third baseman

Gold glove winner from 2001-2006. I'd say that's a big yes.

Obviously, health is the key issue here and none of us are in a position to know how he'll bounce back, but if the Milwaukee brass feels comfortable with it, I would be all for taking him on. In fact, between him and Hardy on the left side of the infield, along with continued improvement from Weeks, I'd feel pretty good about our infield defense.

If he can bounce back to near his career norms offensively, he's definitely worth that contract as well (.269/.347/.486 25-30 HRs).

Weeks, Scott (still hoping...haha), Braun, Fielder, Hart, Chavez.... oooh baby.

Im interested, I pretty much feel the same way as Brett. Id rather take a chance on him over the next 4 year than Rolen of the next 3. If Oakland were willing to take back about 2-3 million of that contract per year it would be easier to swallow. His injuries scare me, not so much about staying healthy as staying productive. The injuries may have already taken their toll.

Archived