Brewer Fanatic

Scott Podsednik released

brewdude15

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Even if Scottie never plays another inning of baseball, he's still got this to look forward to each and every night:

http://images.askmen.com/imagesmodel/2001_apr/lisa_dergan/lisa_dergan_150.jpg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I guess I look at it this way...

if Scott Podsednik never donned the barley sprig, would this transaction even garner a post here? I don't think so. And I don't think anyone would be saying they should pick him up if that was the case. Dude's a bad baseball player who runs fast and wears eye-black and high socks. No more, no less.

It's now been 4 full seasons since he last was good, by the way. Since that '03 season, his highest OPS+ has been 86. The best he has been is 14% below league average. I'd rather have Gwynn, and that's saying a lot.

Scotty Po vs. Tony Gwynn? call it even? so no real addition by getting Podsednik. if anything, subtraction but adding Podsednik because it's less time to show off potential trade bait like Gross, Gwynn and Nix at the major-league level.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The fact that he finished 12th in the MVP voting in '05 shows what a farce the voting is to begin with. .351 is a pretty "meh" OBP to begin with, and then couple that with 23 caught stealing, and it's easy to see why he only scored 80 runs despite being in the leadoff spot.

Couple that with average at best defense, and I can't see being interested at all.

I guess people can bag on Pods for not being a good player, but dude has a World Series ring and played a big part during that season and into the world series.

He was a below average OF on a team that happened to win a world series, I'm not impressed.

I guess people can bag on Pods for not being a good player, but dude has a World Series ring and played a big part during that season and into the world series.
He was a below average OF on a team that happened to win a world series, I'm not impressed.

You all can throw all your stats out there, he was a very big part of that team and if you don't think he was, then you didn't pay any attention to the white sox that year.

You all can throw all your stats out there, he was a very big part of that team and if you don't think he was, then you didn't pay any attention to the white sox that year.

Can you elaborate a little more? Other than that one HR he hit the entire season which happened to be in the playoffs?

Can you elaborate a little more? Other than that one HR he hit the entire season which happened to be in the playoffs?

heeeeere we go...I'm serious, I think all you guys do is look at stats and make your decisions about a player based solely on that. I'm sorry but its very very annoying at times. This guys sucks because of this, this guy sucks because of that. One person can take one stat to prove his point, and another person can use a stat that helps his argument. Stats just don't tell the whole story some of the time. He got their team going, he was their spark plug. From everything that I have watched, read or heard on radio, that all the players on the team said the same thing. You probably could ask anyone at the white sox message boards too if he played an important role that year. Is he a great player? no has he had a great career? probably not the best, he has had some good seasons and has a ring. Do I want him back? no. was he an important player on that team? hell yeah he was.

I probably shouldn't belong to this message board because I think stats are way way over rated. especially on this board

I guess I look at it this way...

if Scott Podsednik never donned the barley sprig, would this transaction even garner a post here? I don't think so. And I don't think anyone would be saying they should pick him up if that was the case. Dude's a bad baseball player who runs fast and wears eye-black and high socks. No more, no less.

It's now been 4 full seasons since he last was good, by the way. Since that '03 season, his highest OPS+ has been 86. The best he has been is 14% below league average. I'd rather have Gwynn, and that's saying a lot.

I guess I should just let it go, but that post REALLY got under my skin. First off, yes I'm a HUGE Podsednik fan, and would I love to see him back here? For sure, and I'm still holding out a little hope that Doug Melvin will sign him for the 87th time. But do I think that's realistic? No, of course not; I'm not blind to his faults. I know he can't hit lefties very well anymore, and I know his injuries have taken away some of his effectiveness on the bases since we last saw him in Brewer blue. Obviously the fact that he was cut makes all of this very clear.

But unless you followed the White Sox on a day to day basis since he's been there, you have no idea. To say he hasn't been "good" since '03 is just plain ignorant. I'm not as stat-oriented as most here, but I want to say he hit just below .300 in 2005, and I can guarantee you that the '05 team would not have made it that far if they had to bat the likes of Willie Harris at leadoff all season long. He did a heck of a lot more than just hit a home run in the postseason. I know the term "spark plug" is overused, but it fits. You can look at his OPS to prove your point about how much he sucks, but we all know he isn't a slugger. That's not what he brings to a team. He wasn't their "best" hitter in '05, but he was one of their most important. He deserves a lot more respect than what he gets.

And regarding giving him a minor league deal to "bounce back" with the Crew? I like the sentiment, but it's really not a matter of that. Between his groin and ribs, he just can't stay healthy. Even in '07, the few times that he could put a few weeks together for the Sox, there is no denying the spark he brought. He just couldn't seem to run around the bases without getting hurt.

wow jason. i wish i had said that.

I think I'm a bit tired of every other post bringing up the abreviations OPS and OBP and VORP. There is something wrong here when posters start saying the Elias stats are obsolete and finding fault with their use for ranking players. There is more to being a great baseball player other than just stats. What was Bonds OPS ? how many rings did his great stats bring him?

We measure the greatness of a football player not by his stats, but rather by his number of rings. if we went just by certain stats, Bart Starr would be the greatest QB of all time. Then again, as packer fans, we know that is true. Starr is the greatest QB of all time.

I think the amount of posts here using stats is getting a little too much.

Endaround , what i don't like is the double standard of stats and when stats are slanted or misused. What are Ben Sheets' stats, and where does he rank among active NL starters for the past 5 years? and what pitching stat do you value the most? Wins? ERA ? complete games ? innings? whip? if you look at Sheets' overall stats, he's only a mediocre pitcher who gets hurt a lot. yet, when stats prove a player is only mediocre, i hear excuses like injuries being used. or we totally ignore the actual stats and say next year will be better. based on what? your hopes that Sheets will become an ace? Or hall's bad year this year was just an aberation. he will obviously be twice as good next year. based on what? your desires?

To some people, they swear that VORP and OPS are the most important stats to judge a player by. Well maybe they're WRONG! Who decided that OPS was the greatest stat? Bill James? What position did Bill James play? What team did he manage? How many stats books has he sold? I would think it's in Bill James best interest to make you believe stats are important. maybe, just maybe, they're NOT !

maybe games are won on guts and heart instead of stats. maybe games are won on intelligence rather than physical talent.

when was the last time the US won a world basketball tournament?

How do the packers' stats compare with their record this year?

Yea I agree. Stats can go this way or that way. You can take A-Rod and find a stat this season making it negative. I think Stats have become on that higher end since fantasy baseball has come out the past several years. I do believe stats are important, but theres alot more that goes into it then just stats

Who decided that OPS was the greatest stat?

I'm sure somebody who knows more about stats can say for sure, but I believe there is a correlation between OPS and runs scored and that is why people really like OPS as a stat.

About a month ago they won the FIBA Americas Championship... I pretty sure its not a world tournament but they did play Argentina who is one of our top international rivals.

How is Sheets a mediocre pitcher? Do you have anything fact-based to back that up?

And the Elias rankings are horribly outdated.

maybe games are won on guts and heart instead of stats. maybe games are won on intelligence rather than physical talent.

How do the packers' stats compare with their record this year?

Huh?

Archived