Brewer Fanatic

Estrada Traded to the Mets for Guillermo Mota

AJAY
Also, I'm not real intrigued that our catcher will hit a HR every 350 AB's, or so....

At least now we'll have an idea #8 hitter.... Someone who's patient enough to draw the walks given to him, and someone who can move over on mediocre bunts. I do wonder what negative impact Johnny's game calling had on our pitching staff last year.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mota is Aquino with a bigger salary. We'd been better off non-tendering Estrada, but apparently Melvin felt the need to save face from the Doug Davis deal. It sucks when a GM makes a bad decision based on a bad decision.

The Brewers pick up Mota at $3.2 million, yet Curt Schilling gets just $8 million? I'm pretty sure Schilling will provide more for the money.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

People act like Estrada is absolute garbage. He's not THAT bad. You don't get .280 10 HR 55 RBI out of the average starting catcher. He can't take a walk to save his life and his defense is garbage, but he can hit.

Part of hitting is taking walks. It's not just swinging the bat. I still disagree with the idea that he can "hit". Sure, he can get some luck and carry a decent average, but he's not a complete hitter, or something.

For what's it worth, I just talked to my dad who is a baseball fan that had the chance to watch a large number and more Mets and Cubs game than I did this past year. He said that Mota throws hard, but straight. Also said Kendall was so bad down the stretch for the Cubs that they started playing Soto at catcher instead. Looked it up and sure enough he only started 2 of the last 10 games of the year.

I guess I'm always hoping for the best. Shows how long I've been a Brewer fan I guess. When you've been a Brewer fan long enough, you can either get bitter and always assume the worst or always hope for the best. So, I do think that Mota could have another good year or two in him left. Especially as has been mentioned they use him correctly. Kendall, iffy, as I've mentioned in other threads, I hope they bring in a decent backup catcher in case Kendall is at the end of the line.

Kendall, iffy, as I've mentioned in other threads, I hope they bring in a decent backup catcher in case Kendall is at the end of the line.

I would say he's most definitely at the end of the line. I watched about 80% his games in Oakland from '05-'07 and he was brutal there. Part of it being the Colisseum, but part of it being an old catcher with not much pop to begin with.

We maybe need a "young catchers to target" designated thread in the trade forum, because they need a young backup who is capable of starting a fair amount of games in '08 if Kendall sucks.

I don't mind the trade, Mota has had a lot of success in the league, theres a chance he could contribute.

Is there any chance that the Brewers will acquire another catcher to split games w/ Kendall? It would be nice to have some insurance in case he puts up the same numbers as the last 2 seasons.

With Kendell we can count on a better OBP, better game calling, better baserunning, and a better attitude. If he calls a better game, we can hope that our pitchers will do a bit better this year, so it's improvement in that way too.

Ok, not singling you out in particular, but this quote flies around anytime a C is discussed. Do any of us really know whether or not Kendall 'calls a good game'? When Estrada was acquired, he 'called a good game.' This is driving me crazy. I file for official stoppage on the phrase 'calls a good game' (and variants thereof) until/unless we can actually confirm whether or not Kendall does. Because, up until this evening, Johnny Estrada 'called a good game.' Now he suddenly doesn't.

Methinks this is just standard 'find something positive to say about him' stuff. It's important to keep in mind who ends up nodding "yes" to a pitch, or shaking it off - and it sure ain't the catcher.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Also, where did Damian go? Last time I checked, he didn't retire yet.
I don't think he is under contract. This past year was his player option year. He may be sniffing around to see what he can get before telling the Brewers he wants to come back for one more year. Ain't gonna hear anything this week; Damian is in a tree stand somewhere.

Brewerfan.net: Preternaturally obsessed with backup catchers since Keith Osik.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Estrada walk totals the last four years:

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Mota really wasn't bad last year, ERA is a terrible way to judge pitchers, especially over such few IP. He had 7 k/9 and 2.2 bb/9 with a 44% GB rate which is a 4.32 xFIP. Not great but he will have a place in our bullpen I'm sure.

In 2006 Kendall had 23 WS's, last year after the trade to the Cubs he put up stats about the same as in 2006. If he can give us a .350 OBP and average defense he'll be an upgrade over Estrada.

The deal just doesn't bother me that much. At the end of the day we stayed about the same at C or maybe got a tiny bit better and we gained an arm in the bullpen that is better than a couple other options we had there. Not a huge improvement but a small one. The downside of course is the cost.

I don't hate this trade and the inevitable Kendall signing. But I don't think these two transactions will make the Brewers better.

I pretty much agree with this. They've essentially lost Estrada's slugging and replaced it with Kendall's OBP. If anything, they've gained some speed on the bases, but everything else is basically a wash for something else. I do think that Kendall's OBP is probably more valuable to the Brewers than Estrada's SLG was.

Mota is another body in the pen, nothing more. Never hurts to have options I guess, but nothing to take note of.

Saw this on the news just as I was leaving the house to go grocery shopping. This is the first chance I had to log in and see how everyone views it. Looks pretty divided on the opinions.

I'm seeing a lot of people say that they hoped to get more for Estrada. I guess I was kind of thinking the same thing. However, I'm thinking the news is out on Estrada's work ethic. Afterall, it's not hard to figure it out. This joker has been with 5 different teams in 7 years (4 in the last 4). That says a lot right there.

I know that there are many people that don't believe in these types of things...but I'm a big believer that clubhouse chemistry and harmony is key. Makes you wonder what effect Estrada's negativity had on the stretch run this season. It's not somthing that can be easily measured, but IMHO, I think it has an effect on the overall year end W-L record.

Mota...meh, but good riddance to Estrada.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Ok, not singling you out in particular, but this quote flies around anytime a C is discussed. Do any of us really know whether or not Kendall 'calls a good game'? When Estrada was acquired, he 'called a good game.' This is driving me crazy. I file for official stoppage on the phrase 'calls a good game' (and variants thereof) until/unless we can actually confirm whether or not Kendell does. Because, up until this evening, Johnny Estrada 'called a good game.' Now he suddenly doesn't.

Methinks this is just standard 'find something positive to say about him' stuff. It's important to keep in mind who ends up nodding "yes" to a pitch, or shaking it off - and it sure ain't the catcher.

I don't know if Estrada called a good game or not because it is hard to tell without extensive inside information. The impression I did get was that our pitchers didn't throw as many balls in the dirt, Sheets curve for example, as they did in years past. It also seemed like our pitchers just couldn't finish guys off. Seemed to nibble once they got ahead. Just because a pitcher didn't shake off the catcher doesn't mean they liked how the game was called.

What I do remember hearing about Estrada when he came over was that he didn't get along with his teammates. I just ignored that as something that gets thrown around when a player gets traded. We heard the same things about Lee when he came over. Now we hear that Estrada didn't get along very well with Maddux or our pitchers.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Somewhere, Jim Powell's head is exploding. He has ripped on Kendall for years.
What has he said about him? I'm just curious, I never recall him saying much about him.

He has often mentioned the terms of Kendall's various contracts and the said, "That's a lot to pay for a singles-hitting catcher." I don't necessarily disagree, but it has gotten old. (That, and the complaints about the location of the PNC press box. Enough already.)

The contract Pittsburgh gave Kendall was very foolish. Kendall was an excellent complimentary player, but what they gave him was a "franchise player" deal by their standards. I think that's what Powell had issues with, not Kendall himself, but the hefty investment the Pirates had made in him.

It's the Pirates though, that's what they do.

I don't know if Estrada called a good game or not because it is hard to tell without extensive inside information.

Exactly.

Just because a pitcher didn't shake off the catcher doesn't mean they liked how the game was called.

Sure, but if you don't like the pitch, and/or you want to throw another pitch, you don't agree to throw something else. That's kind of my beef here. Sure, the C suggests some pitches (perhaps even relays them in from, *gulp*, the dugout), but the pitcher is ultimately the decision-maker. I get your point about feeling like there were fewer balls in the dirt, etc., but honestly don't know one way or the other.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It seemed like nobody had an out pitch last year. To be honest if I was a pitcher I wouldn't have wanted to throw a pitch in the dirt to Estrada because it was likley to end up at the backstop, and by backstop I don't mean the catcher.

Edit: I guess to me it just boils down to Estrada sucking at blocking pitches in the dirt and our pitchers being afraid to throw an unhittable ball because they don't think he will block it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived