Brewer Fanatic

Estrada Traded to the Mets for Guillermo Mota

AJAY
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's clear that the Brewers just wanted to get rid of Estrada. Mota, eh... I'm sure he'll break camp with the Brewers. Maybe the scouts saw something that makes them think he may have a good year in him. Sometimes relievers struggle, then have a good year or two in them. More than likely they just wanted to get rid of Estrada and Mota was the best they could get. I'm sure the Brewers look at this as addition by subtraction and I'm sure we'll soon start hearing about how much of a problem Estrada was.

I think it is safe to say that Johnny Estrada must have lived up to his reputation as clubhouse cancer.

Tom H. hinted at "off the field" issues with Estrada the other day in his blog. I certainly don't see Kendall as a huge upgrade, but if Estrada was poor in the clubhouse - then perhaps this trade was needed for that reason.

Of course, Mota isn't worth much of anything. I really hope the Mets are paying his salary. Otherwise, we would have been better of just non-tendering Estrada.

That said, I'm not sad to see Estrada go. But we still need a back-up catcher.

Perhaps Sheets for McCann is an actual possibility?

I'm not real excited about Kendall but I suppose at least he can get on base better than Estrada. And he won't swing at more first pitches than he lets go by.

Mota is Aquino v. 2.0 as far as I can tell. I doubt the Brewers will rely on him for much in 2008. He'll probably start out as a 7th inning guy and work his way out of the bullpen rotation by June.

I think Estrada is getting more love from bfan.net than he's ever had before!

I'm going to wait and see how much we sign Kendall for before I judge this trade. I'm going to imagine Estrada lost a ton of trade value between his comments to the media (how the Brewers were scared), his production, and I'm sure more than the Brewers fans know about his lack of effort/"injuries". If Estrada was this hurt, why was he playing? We had to trade on the low end of his value.

If Kendall gets more than $5 million a year this trade stinks though. We'd ve overpaying at a small increase possible increase at production. If Estrada and Kendall end up making around the same amount of money in 2008 I will like this trade.

The one way things have added up in my mind all week was given a scenario where Estrada was just too much of a negative in the eyes of coaches and a downer in the clubhouse.

Here's the latest from Haudricourt...

Here's the deal as best I can explain it, and I'll try to have more details in my story in the JS tomorrow. The Brewers want a catcher who has more energy, who is more positive, who gets along with pitching coach Mike Maddux and works well with all of the pitchers on the staff.

The Brewers aren't saying Kendall is a world beater. Basically, the just want a catcher who plays nicely in the sandbox with others.

Sounds like Estrada was a general pain in the you know what.

I am just glad Estrada is gone. Didn't seem to put in much effort on the field for a major leaguer. Kendall will do at least that and call a better game. I also think Mota doesn't stick with the team too long. He's really not that good.

The Brewers want a catcher who has more energy

This I understand.

who is more positive

There were certainly a lot of non-positive things in 2007

who gets along with pitching coach Mike Maddux

Why? -- Maybe he doesn't like what Maddux does or handles pitchers.

and works well with all of the pitchers on the staff.

Isn't Yost supposed to be great at handling his players?

If Kendall being here brings leadership, integrity, and hard work, then where does that leave Craig Counsell? lol

This trade gets a big meh from me. I wasn't exactly in love with Estrada, but I don't find Mota to be any more appealing than the options we already had.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Is Mota a friend of Coco? I really think that this might be a deal to bring back Coco. They both come from DR and are more or less the same age. I will say this - if the METS picked up 2 million of his pay, then I think its a fair deal.

who gets along with pitching coach Mike Maddux

Why? -- Maybe he doesn't like what Maddux does or handles pitchers.

Are you implying that perhaps Estrada has a right to disagree with Maddux and cause dissension?

Frankly, I think the players supporting their coach and playing hard for the coach is generally more important than the coaches strategy. If Estrada has issued with a coach *fight in the dugout with yost* then he needed to go.

The only outstanding question, is why we took back a WAY overpaid reliever. There must be some salary relief.

From the Mets fans I've talked to, they said Mota was fine in one-inning spurts, but ran into trouble when Willie Randolph would keep running him out for a second inning, when he would get shelled. I guess it comforts me a little if Mota is fine in one-inning spurts, but then I remember that Ned Yost is probably the only manager in the National League worse than Willie Randolph at bullpen management. Heh.

If Mets fans were disappointed with Lo Duca's defense, they're in for a heckuva surprise with Johnny. At least it looks like the Mets will be platooning him with Castro, which may keep him more fresh than he was in '07.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Are you implying that perhaps Estrada has a right to disagree with Maddux and cause dissension?

Yes. Of course.

Frankly, I think the players supporting their coach and playing hard for the coach is generally more important than the coaches strategy. If Estrada has issued with a coach *fight in the dugout with yost* then he needed to go.

Actually Estrada (as was Graffy) was going after Yost for Yost berating Hardy.

"On this Thanksgiving, we are thankful GUILLERMO MOTA is no longer a Met"

The current header on top of their message board. To say they are happy with this trade is an understatement. On the positive side, Mota did homer in his 1st ML at bat. Mota had a solid season plus with the Dodgers pitching in a very pitcher friendly park, and pre steroid suspension. Live arm, but I don't see him helping the team. I would have rather seen what Steve Bray could do.

Estrada leaving and Kendall in (If this indeed happens) appears to be a wash. A lot will depend on the cost of Kendall.

From the Mets fans I've talked to, they said Mota was fine in one-inning spurts, but ran into trouble when Willie Randolph would keep running him out for a second inning, when he would get shelled. I guess it comforts me a little if Mota is fine in one-inning spurts, but then I remember that Ned Yost is probably the only manager in the National League worse than Willie Randolph at bullpen management. Heh.

If Mets fans were disappointed with Lo Duca's defense, they're in for a heckuva surprise with Johnny. At least it looks like the Mets will be platooning him with Castro, which may keep him more fresh than he was in '07.

Thats quite IRONIC because melvin says he wanted to find a guy who can go multiple innings.

Good Riddence to Estrada but I really wish that we could have done something better.

NOT TO MENTION this really puts us behind the 8 ball if the negotiations are not complete with Kendall.

Archived