• Created
  • Last Reply

Got the text message from MLB.com

Mota's BR page:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/motagu01.shtml

Estrada's BR page:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/e/estrajo01.shtml

First thought:

I think Doug got taken for a ride here...

Mota, pitching half the time in Shea Stadium, posted a 5.22 ERA there, and an ERA of over 6 on the road (total 2007 ERA: 5.76). He's not posted an ERA+ over 100 since 2004.

This is bullpen help? I'd rather call on Wes Obermueller.

Holy moly, Brewer Fever might have been very correct about wanting to rid ourselves of Estrada at all costs.

Mota stats:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6214'

He really struggled last year for whatever reason, and is generally a mediocre reliever from the stats. But, IIRC, he throws really hard.

Anyone know his contract situation? Looks like he's at least arby eligible.

First thought:

I think Doug got taken for a ride here...

Mota, pitching half the time in Shea Stadium, posted a 5.22 ERA there, and an ERA of over 6 on the road (total 2007 ERA: 5.76). He's not posted an ERA+ over 100 since 2004.

This is bullpen help? I'd rather call on Wes Obermueller.

Doug did the best he could to get anything for Estrada. It's lucky he even got anything. They could have non-tendered him and got nothing. So I am not one to judge just yet. It's not spectcular but it's something.

He's a FA in 12 months.

Good point, next year when the Mets let him walk, we'll hear the team that signs him say "He calls a good game."

This deal seems just like Clark for Dessens - just taking the guy and expecting nothing - maybe you're wrong.

I think they were obviously going to non-tender him, so the best they could get is a guy coming off an off year with a little bit of a high contract.

I'm fine with it for the simple fact that Estrada is gone.

The long Milwaukee nightmare is over.

But why move Estrada at all?

If 2007 was disappointing, I'd like to see how he'd rebound in his contract year (even then, he only dropped two extra base hits from 2006 to 2007).

I think the answer (Kendall with a .610 OPS + Mota and a 5.76 ERA) is worse than the "problem" (Estrada and a .700 OPS).

Wow I am pissed about this. Confidence in Melvin is almost completely gone.

Mota was suspended at the start of the year for using steroids but the Brewers say he is past that and will be a key member of their bullpen.

Link

A guy whose lowest ERA since 2004 was 4.53 is going to be a key member of the bullpen?

Oh, man, this is gonna be bad!

Archived