Brewer Fanatic

Torri Hunter?

too many suitors, I find it highly unlikely that Passan has his sources correct. I thought I already heard melvin say that he's not interested in Hunter. By the time someone signs him he'll be getting id say 100 million at least since theirs so many teams that want him.

Too many teams are offering $15M/yr. Torii Hunter's also not returning to the Twins not because of the money -- they offered him 3 yrs & $45M back in the summer, which he turned down -- but because of the years. He's said many times in our papers up here that he's after 5 years. 4 yrs & $48M gives the Brewers no chance of being "in" on Hunter, both for the years and the money.

If the Brewers actually were on Hunter's interest list, we likely would've heard about it by now. He's out there pursuing things only with teams that are offering what he's after in terms of money and years.

Hunter would be an upgrade from Hall in every way. But it seems clear that the odds of him becoming a Brewer this winter are <1%.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There are too many big market clubs involved for me to believe the Brewers have a shot.......and I'm not sure if I'd want him at that price.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

On the other hand, I've heard nothing about Andruw Jones, who's seemingly had much less play than Hunter or Rowand. There's a Primer thread in which Boras is quoted as saying Jones won't sign a one-year deal to boost his value. Jones is still pretty young by free-agent standards, and he'd improve the defense considerably...slide Hall back to third, Braun to left, and you've got a pretty nice team. I hope that Melvin has at least inquired.

I don't see Hunter and the Brewers being a match. He's 32 and will want at least a 4 year deal more likely 5 though and isn't the "professional hitter" that Melvin said he wants as his OBP this year was .334 and his career OBP is .324.

With the market apparently being next to nil for Andruw Jones, I'd be all for the Brewers at least inquiring and making an offer. Granted, he was terrible at the plate last year, but his career numbers are very good. He might have been feeling some pressure of his contract or struggling to deal with his time in Atlanta coming to an end, who knows.

He's also slipped a bit on the defensive side but would still improve our overall defense and lineup dramatically in my opinion. I hope we have at least inquired...

At least five teams have made offers to Hunter. According to baseball sources, all are for five years, with the exception of the Rangers' six-year offer
Sorry but you have to wonder how stupid Rangers management is. Just when you think they're doing a good job of rebuilding they go out and offer a 32 year old Torii Hunter a 6 year deal.

Link

Archived