Brewer Fanatic

N.L. MVP thread: Rollins Wins

RyDogg66
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Prince but I think they got it right. Rollins plays a premium position and does everything well on both sides of the ball. Congrats to Rollins.

Earlier today I wouldn't have agreed with you. But then I took a second look at Rollins' stats to try and figure out how the voters, who have done remarkably well so far this year, could have gotten this so wrong. Upon closer inspection I found Rollins had a wonderful year. His 30 doubles, 20(!) triples, 30 homers helped to give him 386 total bases, 36 more bases than The Prince! And although counting stats like runs and ribbies are overrated, 139 runs scored coupled with 94 ribbies is damn fine. Add in the 41 stolen bases at an 82% success rate, and this guy truly had a valuable season. One that I missed, regrettably. The fact he plays ss makes it a most valuable season.

The voters made a thoughtful and deserving choice. All in all, the best post season awards I can remember, ever.

His 30 doubles, 20(!) triples, 30 homers helped to give him 386 total bases, 36 more bases than The Prince!

The only reason Rollins had more total bases than Prince is that he had 143 more ABs. You discount counting stats like runs and rbi, yet you don't discount the other counting stats like total bases, doubles, and triples? Rollins won this award because his counting stats were inflated by the fact that he played every day and didn't take very many walks.

I'll echo everyone else: at least Holliday didn't win. I can certainly live with Rollins taking home the hardware. Dude had a very good season for a team that made a ginormous surge late in the year. Had Prince and the Brewers been that team, he has a way better shot at winning it (and probably would have). It's all about perceived impact.

Upon closer inspection I found Rollins had a wonderful year. His 30 doubles, 20(!) triples, 30 homers helped to give him 386 total bases, 36 more bases than The Prince!

36 more bases with the help of almost 150 more at bats. Rollins had 716 Ab's this season. That gives him a huge advantage when it comes to counting stats. He had a good year, but he isn't even close to being the best player on his own team, let alone the entire league.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Hanley should have won too, but when you play for a team like the Marlins you basically need to hit for the Triple Crown. I can't complain too much about Rollins winning. About the only thing he didn't do was walk enough but he played good to great defense at a premier position, hit for power, and stole 41 bases (only caught 6 times).

If I had a ballot it would have looked like this:

Ramirez

Wright

Rollins

Fielder

Holliday

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm surprised that Chipper Jones didn't get more consideration for MVP. I'm not necessarily saying that he was the most deserving, but he would have been on my short list. Wright's getting a lot of love, deservedly so, but Chipper nearly matched Wright's counting stats in many fewer plate appearances, and was clearly superior in the rate stats. I'm guessing the injury held him back.

My ballot:

Ramirez

Fielder

Utley

Jones

Wright

Rollins

Archived