Brewer Fanatic

Anyone remember when Alex Rodriguez played for the Rattlers?

Because Apple ton is a dirty, dirty city.

I think it has something to do with being able to type the word app let, and being able to take over the world with said ability....

As far as Arod, sorry, I was 11 and living in SC.

My understanding is he was not known as Ortiz at the time.

He wasn't Ortiz at the time, he was known as David Arias. Also, it surprised me that A-Rod was with the Foxes or Timber Rattlers (whichever name they had at the time) because didn't he get called up the next year or was it in '96?

Also, it surprised me that A-Rod was with the Foxes or Timber Rattlers (whichever name they had at the time) because didn't he get called up the next year or was it in '96?

He actually was called up late the SAME YEAR in 1994. He was up to stay after a 54 game AAA stint in 1995. Dude absolutely shot through the ranks.

I went to see him play...at that time everyone knew he was gonig to be something special. That was before the new stadium in ******on, and some games there would only be 200-300 people at the games. A-Rod looked like a man among boys. IIRC he went from single A to the majors that season.

I really wanted to go see A-Rod play when he was in ******on, but I missed him.

I did see Ryan Anderson pitch twice for the Rattlers and he never go past 5 innings because of control problems. Rattlers have has some very good talent come through in the last 10 -15 years.

Saw him once at the old Foxes stadium don't remember the name of it off hand I think it was Fox stadium or Pierce park but not sure. He was the best player I've seen go through Apple-ton. He was the main selling point that season, which was the last as the Foxes. That whole season was like a rebirth of minor league baseball in the city. It was the first time I remember actually hearing commercials about the team and people talking about the team. In some ways he was the usher to a new era in Apple-ton minor league baseball. The stadium was a dump and the team was basically an after thought in the Apple-ton sports scene. A-Rod was promoted pretty quickly to a higher level then to the majors in the same year. I remember thinking how similar the start of his career was to Yount's.

I went to a Foxes game to see him play. He was promoted to AA that day. He was at the park in street clothes. Every where he went about 10 teenage girls followed him. Packer GM Ron Wolf sat one section over from me.

Archived