Brewer Fanatic

Starting Pitchers to Target Thread

sbrylski

The rumors of Sheets possibly heading out of town a year early are, to an extent, starting to heat up. Most would acknowledge it leaves a bit of a hole in the overall quality of our rotation. As dadofandrew suggested, Melvin will likely use the time between now and the Winter Meetings to shop around for a starter to take Sheets' place. Even without trading Sheets, some would argue another starting pitcher is already a need. So...who do you like?

We still have Gwynn as a prime trade piece - I wonder what else we'd have to add to grab a package of Benoit+Volquez from the interested Texas. Chicago is the other team with a glaring CF hole, could Javier Vazquez be had despite the recent Garland trade? San Fran's Kevin Correia would likely see an ERA spike out of his homer stifling ballpark, but I'd still be interested.

Thoughts?

It might be a SP will be coming from the Braves, as they have several #5 types fighting for that spot, in theory. A couple might be young with upside.

Other than that, not many teams will be trading pitching. I could imagine a Capuano/prospect or OF for a slightly better, perhaps more expensive SP. Maybe the A's will be tearing it down and starting over?

I'd send a ton of top prospects for Dan Haren, and these are the types of deals I wish we still had Will Inman around that I would feel the team could legitimately take a run at such a player. I could see the A's being all over Mat Gamel, and a package involving him and Manny Parra (a northern Californian, not that it matters) might be an interesting start, but I'm guessing Beane would be asking for Gallardo, which I definitely wouldn't do.

A.J. Burnett and Erik Bedard have been tossed around, but I think their names are included since teams are just seeing what they could get for them in an offseason when the available pitching is so weak.

The Angels are loaded with starters. Ervin Santana is still plenty young despite coming off of a bad season, and he would be one player that I would definitely see if a match could be made, even if it means lessening the prospect load for the Angels in a three-way deal (Cabrera?).

I still don't think the Rangers have any intention of trading Benoit after signing him to a two-year extension a few weeks ago.

Am I the only person who really isn't frightened by a Gallardo/Villanueva/Suppan/Capuano/Bush rotation? I'd like another starter, but the franchise has been in uber-more precarious states. If we trade Sheets, we're going to get a starter in return, but that person will likely moreso challenge Cappy and Bush than the front end. I'm for letting those guys go for it, and if something bad happens, fix it midseason.

I'd part with a Parra+Gamel package for any of the pitchers you've listed, Colby. I think Gamel is a prime trade piece because I just don't see how he'll eventually fit with the big league club. Maybe its assuming too much about the future, but with an already poor defensive 3B anchored on the team and an all-bat, no defense player in LaPorta poised to enter the discussion earlier than Mat, I see him as one too many and the odd man out.

I also think Parra's praise is a little unchecked around here. He has a long history of arm problems, and one season doesn't wash that away. Counting on him for anything other than extra depth isn't quite cautious enough for my liking.

I don't think that proposed rotation would be terrible...it would probably be decent. However, what happens if Capuano and Bush struggle again? You have Parra to fill in, and that's about it. It would probably be prudent to at least try and acquire a proven #4/5 type starter, if at all possible.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Am I the only person who really isn't frightened by a Gallardo/Villanueva/Suppan/Capuano/Bush rotation
I am completely with you And That.

In my opinion 2008 Gallardo/Villanueva/Suppan/Capuano/Bush > 2007 Sheets/Suppan/Capuano/Bush/Vargas

And heading into last year, everyone talked about how a strength of the Brewers was the starting pitching. I personally expect a bounce-back year form Capuano. And we slide Bush into the #5 spot, which frankly has to make him one of the top five #5 starters in the league.

I also love Parra as a replacement should someone get injured or struggle. I think by the end of the year, Parra might be the 3rd best starter.

I personally would not trade Sheets unless it was in a deal for a "ace" starter in return. If the Brewers are going to go where everyone hopes that they can then they need to have someone in the rotation that can win that big game. I know Gallardo has looked pretty impressive, but a lot of young pitchers fall back to the pack after their rookie seasons(i.e. J.Weaver, E.Santana etc.). Counting on two young SPers to basically lead a rotation for a team hoping for the playoffs and maybe more is foolish. I do have confidence that Capuano will return to a form closer to what he has been prior to last year than what he was last year, so I do think have a solid #2-4 starters in Capuano, Gallardo, and Suppan.

If I were GM of the Brewers I would be trying to do a trade along the lines of Sheets, Hall, Gamel and Parra for Johan Santana. Minnesota gets a potential ace in return that will show their fans that they are not throwing in the towel. They get a player in Hall that can help their offense and can fill their 3B hole. Then they get two young guys for the future. For Milwaukee, they get the best SP in the game who would have to agree to a extension before the trade is official. Even if Milwaukee has to pay $20M a year for Santana, that is no different than what the Brewers are already paying for Sheets and Hall(or at least close and then consider what Sheets will resign for). A rotation of Santana, Capuano, Gallardo, Suppan, and Villaneuva is a rotation capable of advancing well into the playoffs. I would also shop a Sheets package(maybe minus Parra) to the Orioles for a Bedard. I just don't think that the Brewers can give away their only "ace" when being a small market they can't just go out and buy another one. You need a "ace" to win a championship.

When you poke around Bartolo Colon, does he giggle like the Pillsbury Doughboy? Because he's got his conditioning.

If I were GM of the Brewers I would be trying to do a trade along the lines of Sheets, Hall, Gamel and Parra for Johan Santana. Minnesota gets a potential ace in return that will show their fans that they are not throwing in the towel.

But it also doesn't really put them in any better position than they already are as far as "aces" go. They can't afford to pay Sheets past '08, either.

If I were GM of the Brewers I would be trying to do a trade along the lines of Sheets, Hall, Gamel and Parra for Johan Santana. Minnesota gets a potential ace in return that will show their fans that they are not throwing in the towel.

But it also doesn't really put them in any better position than they already are as far as "aces" go. They can't afford to pay Sheets past '08, either.

I don't understand what you are talking about. The Twins could put the money that they are paying Santana this year towards Sheets. Yes Sheets isn't as good as Santana, but the Twins get a SP who is a ace when he is on the field, two young prospects and a guy in Hall who is the X factor.

I don't understand what you are talking about. The Twins could put the money that they are paying Santana this year towards Sheets. Yes Sheets isn't as good as Santana, but the Twins get a SP who is a ace when he is on the field, two young prospects and a guy in Hall who is the X factor.

Sheets is a free agent after '08. That's what I'm talking about. They'd be in the same boat.

If Hall's an X-Factor, why trade him? Or do the Brewers already have enough X's and are looking for Y's?

Archived