Brewer Fanatic

Workout Music

Pedro
I need a little help here, as my musical tastes tend to lean more towards jazz/blues/standards these days. But, it's hard to work out to Billie Holiday, Taj Mahal, Chick Webb, Sinatra or Tom Waits. My current workout selection on the iPod consists of songs I've been listening to for years, and it's very meager, and it's lost any ability it ever had to help me get through 45 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill. It's a little Petty, Setzer, Aerosmith, The Knack, AC/DC...songs of my youth that, while loud and driving, I'm just tired of.

So, any suggestions? I need high-energy, but not too bizarre for my 43-year old tastes.

At risk of being further branded a hip scenester, my favorite thing to listen to on the elliptical is the LCD Soundsystem song "45:33" - it is one track (that is actually 45:58 minutes long) that contains about 5 or 6 different movements of what I would describe as electro-funk. The music itself is paced so that there's a warm-up, intense middle and gradual cool-down. It really moves the time along.

Here's a link.

I am definitely a classic rock girl but I find that I really prefer working out to rap. Some of my favorites are:

--The Whole World, by Outkast

--Lose Yourself, by Eminem

--And Then What, by Young Jeezy

--Stronger, by Kanye West

--Gangsta's Paradie, by Coolio

You might also be interested in this: 26 Greatest Running Songs, According to Page 2

i work out to the theme to Rocky. it's impossible to quit when Eye of the Tiger is playing.

The Hives are great. White Stripes.

Elmore James, T-Bone Walker, Stevie Ray Vaughan, James Brown.

Count Basie, John Faddis, Maynard Ferguson, Coltrane, Donald Byrd

Fantastic! Thanks everyone.

I'm going to try a little bit of everything listed and see what works. I already have some big band stuff (Cab Calloway, Count Basie) as well as everything by Stevie Ray Vaughan, so I'll put more of that into the workout mix. I'm especially looking forward to trying "45:33." As for rap...well, I'll give it a try.

Off to iTunes...

Not a rap person myself at all....

But for workout music, Linkin Park/Jay Z - Encore really gets me going.

Stronger was also a good suggestion.

Or you could cut out the middleman and go straight for Daft Punk's "Harder Better Faster Stronger" that it's sampled from!

AFI, Coheed & Cambria, Avenged Sevenfold, Dragonforce, Blaqk Audio and Motorhead are all favorites of mine while I'm working out. Some of it I consider ass-rock and more than likely wouldn't listen to it at any other time of the day, but it is good stuff to move to.

• 1 year later...

When I run it is a lot of electronic music (mainly Trance) as I like running to the beats. DJ's such as:

Dave Pearce

Tiesto

Paul Oakenfold

Paul Van Dyk

Felix Da Housecat

When I lift I usually switch to something heavier.

Pantera

Dropkick Murphy's

NOFX

Pennywise

Bonnie Tyler - Holding out for a Hero

Patti LaBelle - New Attitude

Europe - The Final Countdown

John Parr - Man in Motion (St Elmo's Fire)

Olivia Newton John - Physical

(but not really)

Last time I actually worked out, my playlist was something like:

Omar Santana - No Mercy

DJ ESP Woody Mcbride - The Birdman

Paul Hardcastle - 19

Hall & Oates - I Can't Go For That

The Cardigans - My Favourite Game

Praga Khan - Injected With a Poison

Cajmere - Percolator

Josh Wink - Higher State of Consciousness

Everything But The Girl vs. Soul Vision - Tracey In My Room

Daft Punk - Aerodynamic

Armand Van Helden - The Funk Phenomenon

Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill

(remix of "Fire on High" by ELO)

Nine Inch Nails - Wish

Chemical Brothers - Electrobank

and

Spacedust - Gym & Tonic (by far, the best workout song ever if you don't take life all that seriously)

Suprisingly, Nike actually has some good workout mixes. My favorite is Nike Run by Aesop Rock. Hip hop, but not like the crap that you here on the radio. The BPM's stay constant, so you don't get the up and down beats that come with some other CD's. Check out the Nike set on iTunes. They have some decent stuff to listen too.

Archived